User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,492
Toby Price eyes off 2015 Dakar

Love him or hate him, but know one can disagree that the boy is in form at the moment . He is in training with Grabbo learning to read the maps.

I thought a Condo win this year for him would have been a good start to smoke the Smith boys at their own game. But we all know Grabbo has a sore point with Condo after hitting a Roo and crashing out and backing his back a few years ago.

Toby is going to enter Morocco in October to see how he goes. But we all know like my son Aaron after racing Condo this year on the KLX700R, there is a little bit more to riding fast and trying to read a map at 150 kph.

Bring it on I love him.
Cheers Fogo...

Fogo72 screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 06:17 PM
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,795
hate him?

who could possibly hate the lad...

Give em heaps Toby...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,012
Go Toby!
http://www.tp87.com.au/?portfolio=br...nd-dakar-rally

So... another ballistic aussie, with shrapnel in his back... headed to DAKAR via Marocco...? but with no prior rally/nav experience in the home events...?

Maybe team manager Manager Grabbo is still carrying some jade in regard to the Oz rallies (after his Condo' accident), because of the intensity (inherrent risk/speed that you need to carry) in order to win against the top 5 in Oz at the moment... and the fact that there is no GPS/off piste/sand dune stage at either the Condo 750 or Oz safari - means that Le' Maroc is a better learning ground for the GPS related navigation style of a Dakar.

It could work out great for him (Toby is as gifted racer as guy's like Grabbo, Curt Kasselli and Chris Birch have gone to Dakar via the "support" program of factory KTM in the last few years). It is just a touch dissappointing that KTM Oz etc. do not support the domestic races that fost the sport here... and - after all - gave Grabbo his start in "rallies".

Good luck Toby... is Grabbo riding too I wonder... or putting the Mgr cap on full time, and giving the star pupil a chance at the big prize. I would'a thought that ben still had unfinished business there after last years "lost in the mountain" adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,381
Good luck Toby, great news indeed..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,012
Thumb From the "Bivouac" thread in RACING forum...

Today, 02:30 PM #4715
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304

From Toby's Facebook page:
'Couple of long days filling out paperwork for a rally entry and getting a licence, insurance, start permission, doctors medical and needles and loads more but almost at the end of it... Soon can just put my head in the books and learn the maps, for those wondering why I'm not competing in aust safari for a trial run is mainly because loads of rules are different to the world rally races so it's best if I just learn one set of rules instead of two, also trying to learn maps in French is pretty hard... So it's small steps at a time good results won't come straight away but I will try my hardest to not let anybody down and do AUSTRALIA proud..
So who needs a off season lol, marocco rally up first, ISDE and USA training up next then probably be at Dakar for Christmas and New Years and with no testing I'll be lining straight up for enduro x in jan/feb hahaha things will be very interesting'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #6
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post
who could possibly hate the lad...

Give em heaps Toby...
I thought the same, why would you hate him?

I hope he blows 'em away!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
that's why offroad riders are cooler than the MX crowd. they just love ridin' muddaboikes and don't care about off seasons and money! they are also not content with being the big fish in a little pond.
go get 'em Pricey!
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
I thought the same, why would you hate him?

I hope he blows 'em away!
I just said that because I can remember a lot of people having a bit to say about him after coming home from the States with a broken neck and not having the correct insurance in place and everyone chipping in to help him pay for his medical and helicopter bills that I think were about 80K. I can just remember a lot of people having a shot at him about people bailing him out and he should cough up the money himself.

Like I said at the start I love him.
It would be so good for an Aussie to win Dakar and I would like to see him get instant fame and fortune.

Cheers Fogo...
Old 09-10-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simosez View Post
that's why offroad riders are cooler than the MX crowd. they just love ridin' muddaboikes and don't care about off seasons and money! they are also not content with being the big fish in a little pond.
go get 'em Pricey!
Erm , Pricey swam outta the mx pond to enduro. Muscle and the quality of adaptation has made him pretty slick.

good luck Pricey, ill be backin ya mad F#@ker!!
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

As I said before he can ride fast but can he learn to read the maps and navigate at speed and only being a rookie at it, would he be likely to play follow the leader like Grabbo did last year when he followed those other guys down the wrong mountain. Grabbo said he didn't think that it was the correct turn off but 4 others rode past and down they went. So he followed and they couldn't get out.
Like Junior Fogo said after Condo, it is so important to know how far a distance is ahead, doing 130 kph a quick glance at the tripmeter 20.30 klms look ahead then look down again and read the map, Turn hard right 20.90 so you have to turn right in 600 meters so is that tree line ahead 600 meters or what, we all know how long a 50 meter pool is but will Toby know the difference between 350 meters and 475 meters cause the Smith boys and Fagotter can, that's why they win Condo. They can look ahead at speed and say to themselves, 475 meters would be where that big fallen log is on the left so I can ride flat out up that point before rechecking the trip meter.
Cheers Fogo...
Old 09-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
PBee

Oddometer: 8,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
As I said before he can ride fast but can he learn to read the maps and navigate at speed
So is Toby a bit short in the old brains department?

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
So is Toby a bit short in the old brains department?

No but he has got his head screwed on pretty good.

There is no doubt that he can ride so fast and process all that visual info coming through his eyes into his brain and be able to react so quickly to a riding situation is amazing. He just needs the practice me thinks and I don't think that will come in one season, I hope he smashes it out of the park myself.

Check him riding at the end of this video, two words come to mind, Fuckin crazy.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
Erm , Pricey swam outta the mx pond to enduro. Muscle and the quality of adaptation has made him pretty slick.

good luck Pricey, ill be backin ya mad F#@ker!!
erm, no shit Sherlock. most of them came out of mx. they stick with it because they have the passion.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simosez View Post
erm, no shit Sherlock. most of them came out of mx. they stick with it because they have the passion.
But Toby was elite level MX in Australia, not just doing it as a kid or clubman.

I don't think to many make the transition from top level MX to top level enduro.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

the point I was making is that more enduro riders have a crack overseas and in different disciplines than MX riders do. I would class Toby as an off road rider more than an mxer these days. more enduro riders race the odd mx than mx riders do the odd enduro/desert race.