Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Dingus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Speedweek: Lake Gairdner South Australia

Hi all,

New to the forum, apologies if there's a spot to introduce myself and I missed it. Just bought a 2011 DR650. The plan is a solo mission from Western Queensland to Lake Gairdner, South Australia for the DLRA speedweek 2015.

(Goondowindi-Moree-Gilgandra-Broken Hill-Port Augusta-Iron Knob-Mt Ive station)

I'm a total noob to overnight bike trips and i have no gear so I'll be relying on the awesome information contained in this forum to guide me. It should be an awesome trip and I'm pumped for it. I'm keen not to bugger it up with poor preparation so any tips advice for beginners is massively appreciated.

Dingus screwed with this post 11-11-2014 at 09:07 AM
Dingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,829
Welcome to the asylum Dingus.

I'm glad you posted with Speedweek 2015 in the title, it saved me the trouble.

Bike preparation and carrying only what is essential luggage are vital, poor bike prep or lugging tons of crap you never needed are a big drag otherwise.

The other "biggie" with a visit to Lake Gairdener for Speedweek is the need to be self-sufficient for a good week. You can buy bacon'n'egg rolls, pies, pasties, sambo's, etc at the lakeside canteen, but this year I think they are NOT serving evening meals, so you need to factor that in. Drinking water, you can go through a lot of that if the temperatures hit the sky (read the 2013 thread in here for some idea of how hot it can potentially get), it can get costly if you are buying it.
Beer. Lots of beer. You can buy it at the lakeside canteen, but at a premium price (if you live in the outback you are probably already paying it anyway).
Where to stay. Lakeside camping is very popular, but you need to have your own porta-potty, apparently. No facilities exist for mass disposal of human waste (politicians are safe then). Mt Ive station has limited accommodation options, but book early if that is your preference. The DLRA Racers camp has basic shower and toilet facilities and is about 6k from the lake. I dunno if it's members only, I never asked eh.
An option is to find someone (like me) who is driving in, and get some stuff carried in for you, water, food, beer. This site has people like myself who attend the event, and the dlra.org.au site has plenty of friendly folks who are willing to assist.
This year was a small turnout, so my thinking is there will be some pent-up demand from those who stayed home this year (prolly scared off a bit by the weather, the only thing we can't control). I'm hoping for good weather and a big turnout.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Dingus OP
Adventurer

Nice one GodSilla, thanks for the info. The DLRA website is a tad confusing when it comes to exactly what camping options are available so I think I'll contact MtIve station directly. I think I'm just going to have to fork out for beer and water. I'm pretty sure I can survive on packet pasta and meat sticks for a few days.

In terms of getting to the startline/ pits can you ride your own bike from the camp?( There was something on the site about being driven out there.)

Are you racing or spectating?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #4
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 924
Dates?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #5
Aussie Jase
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Ironic I was on the DLRA site last night wondering if any inmates were interested.

http://www.dlra.org.au/2015.htm

Its on 23rd to 27th of March.

My one and only attempt with Masterbrewer and ? Sol resulted in a fracture and the bike getting freighted back a month later by the Gawler Rangers NP Ranger.
I didn't make it to the race meet and am keen to get there.
I will keep an eye on this thread to guage interest.
Camping options are limited unless someone is game to strap a portaloo onto their panniers.
Cheers AJ

"These brakes, they're completely inadequate."
"I'm planning on going, not stopping."
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Jase View Post
Ironic I was on the DLRA site last night wondering if any inmates were interested.

http://www.dlra.org.au/2015.htm

Its on 23rd to 27th of March.

My one and only attempt with Masterbrewer and ? Sol resulted in a fracture and the bike getting freighted back a month later by the Gawler Rangers NP Ranger.
I didn't make it to the race meet and am keen to get there.
I will keep an eye on this thread to guage interest.
Camping options are limited unless someone is game to strap a portaloo onto their panniers.
Cheers AJ
Hi Jasse

Good to see you are out & about. I'm still recovering from prolapsed discs, but come on Christmas & back on the TDM.

Our trip was memorable that's for sure ............ 2 x broken legs out of 3 riders, but it was fun while it lasted.

This should get some interest going.

Lake Gairdner Dry Lake Speed Trials 2009

Ahh! .................the memories
masterbrewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
GodSilla
I did that.

The strange thing about the year you broke your leg, Mt. Ive got 100mm in an afternoon, up the road where you were got 150mm, the entire horizon around the lake was a flat-black colour with the intense storm clouds, and on the lake surface we didn't get a drop.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
If it doesn't rain, are the roads accessible on a big, fat road bike?
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
GodSilla
I did that.

Blokes have ridden roadies in, but it's mostly trailies or dirt bikes eh. If it rains, all bets are off. I wouldn't ride a sportsbike with clipon style bars out there though (personal preference, staying alive).

It's a station service road, often graded, but sometimes a little rough. Gravel, dust, hardpack. The odd rock or washout. The main worry on a roadie is there are a couple of sand holes, but if you are going easy you should see them on approach.

I rode my GS1150 with Anakees to the lake in 2005. It was no worries, apart from a sand hole that gave me the biggest tank-slapper I'd had in 20 years. My 640 Adventure just ate it up and spat it out.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Thanks GS.
That gives me options if I can keep that weekend free.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
God of Speed
brrraaaaAAAAAAAP

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum, apologies if there's a spot to introduce myself and I missed it. Just bought a 2011 DR650. The plan is a solo mission from Western Queensland to Lake Gairdner, South Australia for the DLRA speedweek 2015.

(Miles-Goondowindi-Moree-Gilgandra-Broken Hill-Port Augusta-Iron Knob-Mt Ive station)

I'm a total noob to overnight bike trips and i have no gear so I'll be relying on the awesome information contained in this forum to guide me. It should be an awesome trip and I'm pumped for it. I'm keen not to bugger it up with poor preparation so any tips advice for beginners is massively appreciated.
ill see you there

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
Aussie Jase
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post
Hi Jasse

Good to see you are out & about. I'm still recovering from prolapsed discs, but come on Christmas & back on the TDM.

Our trip was memorable that's for sure ............ 2 x broken legs out of 3 riders, but it was fun while it lasted.

This should get some interest going.

Lake Gairdner Dry Lake Speed Trials 2009

Ahh! .................the memories
Sure does bring back memories....I remember standing on the cyanide leach tanks at work looking down south at the dark clouds rolling in the day before thinking that looks like it could be heading around Lake Gairdner way so I better call the NPWS Ranger and see what's happening down there, I might want to change my tyres....... I Particularly remember the look on the Rangers face when I asked "Where you the guy I spoke to yesterday who said to keep the intermediate tyres on on because it has been dry and won't be raining out this way".

On another note MB here's to a speedy recovery for you - any chance you might be thinking of a repeat trip without the busted leg this time?

Cheers Jase

Aussie Jase screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 04:19 AM
Old 11-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #13
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
.......... GS1150 with Anakees to the lake in 2005. It was no worries, apart from a sand hole that gave me the biggest tank-slapper I'd had in 20 years.
It was the Anakees that did it!
Wouldn't have had a problem if it had the Pirelli Demon's that God had intended.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #14
Aussie Jase
Studly Adventurer

I my case I won't blame the Pirelli Scorpions I had on; It was laziness for not changing tyres after a long swing away at work, flying in late and riding out early the next morning.

It could be said "Piss poor planning" and a small measure of fatigue when all is said and done.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Dingus OP
Adventurer

Hey all, according to the DLRA website the dates are tentative Anyone involved with DLRA know if these are fixed dates yet, or if not when they'll be confirmed? I need to book time off work is all.