Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
JohnCW OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Is it the best motorcycle road in Australia?

After the ride to Phillip Island and back to Sydney for the MotoGP, doing many of the classic roads, Bega to Jindabyne to Tallangatta, to Omeo. Gembrook, Mansfield to Whitfield, etc. ..... all fantastic roads.

But if I had to pick one that stood head and shoulders above the rest it was the 40 kilometer Happy Valley Road - Running Creek Road starting at Ovens just outside of Myrtleford. It connects the Great Alpine Road to the Kiewa Valley Hwy and is part of the back way between Myrtleford to Tallangatta to link up with the Murray Valley Hwy.

If there is any better on-road rides for a motorcycle in Australia in terms of perfect road surface, mix of sweeping high speed and tight corners, not much chance of a ticket I reckon, plus stunning scenery, then I'd love to hear about it.

P.S. How long has Vic had unmarked police motorcycles? Saw one writing a ticket for a car just near Myrtleford. Blue BMW with rider in only black leathers. The flashing lights were the only give away.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Weldr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thumb

Oxley hwy is one of the best
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Jawk
Im lost again.

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post

P.S. How long has Vic had unmarked police motorcycles? Saw one writing a ticket for a car just near Myrtleford. Blue BMW with rider in only black leathers. The flashing lights were the only give away.
"Smile..."

Welcome to Victoria
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Sl0rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldr View Post
Don't say that! Early this year I was travelling home to Adelaide from Port Macquarie to Adelaide and to the natural road to start on was the Oxley. Was very much looking forward to it! It was a bit of a drizzley morning, but that's okay - a bit of water never hurt me. as I moved along I came across a line of diesel on the road. That rainbow of diesel continued all the way pretty much to Walcha. I had no confidence whatsoever in the road's grip, I was dodging the rainbow, taking gaps between the big stretches of colour, either using the clean strip close to the edge of the road or close the the centre line. All in all, the ride was more one of pure concentration and general stress than enjoyment.

One day I'd like to go back and ride it when it's clean! Pity it's not exactly local to me!
Sl0rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Birchy
Lost soul

Oddometer: 14
Horrocks pass rd in SA from the Princess Hwy to Wilmington, came across it on my way up to the Kimberly's in August, only short but I just had to turn around and do it again.
Birchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Next east/west road just a bit south of Horrocks is called Port Germain - Murray Town. Though a little rougher its a much longer canter, Birchy just as enjoyable. Doing a loope of both is a nice way to spend an hour or so.

Killarney Gap Rd...Narrabri to Bingara gets my vote too.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
JohnCW OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawk View Post
"Smile..."

Welcome to Victoria
Best I saw was on the 2 hour 160 kilometers ride from Tallangatta to Omeo on the Omeo Hwy. Only saw 3 other vehicles on the road the whole way being two Highway patrol cars, and one police motorcyclist. One was up at the highest point, (where the snow poles are). What a pointless exercise, like to see someone break the 80 KPH speed limit through those bends. It's the first time I've ever thought "not another f!@#$%^ corner".
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldr View Post

+1

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchy View Post
Horrocks pass rd in SA from the Princess Hwy to Wilmington, came across it on my way up to the Kimberly's in August, only short but I just had to turn around and do it again.

Great piece of road Did it on the way home from the OCR
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Russ

Oddometer: 15,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
But if I had to pick one that stood head and shoulders above the rest it was the 40 kilometer Happy Valley Road - Running Creek Road starting at Ovens just outside of Myrtleford. It connects the Great Alpine Road to the Kiewa Valley Hwy and is part of the back way between Myrtleford to Tallangatta to link up with the Murray Valley Hwy.

If there is any better on-road rides for a motorcycle in Australia in terms of perfect road surface, mix of sweeping high speed and tight corners, not much chance of a ticket I reckon, plus stunning scenery, then I'd love to hear about it.

Only a short section of that road is great and they patrol the straight sections quite a lot.
There are 1000's of great roads in oz.
A few sealed ones that spring to mind that have not been mentioned
Omeo hwy
Bonang
Lockharts gap road
Cathcart - wyndam
Thatra- bermagui
Dorigo mountian
Reefton spur
Parts of the Putty Rd
Pichi Richi pass
Mt hotham - Harrietville
Twonga gap
Whitfield- mansfield
Buchan - Orbost
Yarrajcn - Noojee
Elliot way

I could go on for hours
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,592
South of Hobart

West Coast Tasmania

East Coast Tasmania

North Coast Tasmania

and every road inbetween

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Homicidal Teddybear
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've always been really fond of the road from Oberon to Goulburn. Wide sweeping corners with spectacular views most of the way, then nice tight twisties through the abercrombie national park. Nice campsite there on the banks of the abercrombie river, too.

And the road surface last time I did it was sensational. Was a few years ago now though
Homicidal Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
Muzz2wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
The best bitumen road I have ever ridden was somewhere near Tumbarumba. If I told you exactly where it was I'd have to kill you
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,332
The Lakes Highway, from Golden Valley near Delorian south towards Miena, or north for that matter, great mix of open and tight, and scenery that only Tassie can supply.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Having fun reacquainting myself with all of them,etc Tassie.Did The Ox uphill plus The Old Rd ,Bulladela Bends,The Waterfall Way etc about 2 weeks back and am heading south for The Snowy sections in 2 weeks time.Spoilt for choice
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote