User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,480
KLX Ninja Project

Well here I am in bed with a broken back for the last 3 weeks which has given me way too much time too think. I have some spare bikes at home that are in bits, KLX650R and a KLX650C model.
I have been scratching my head with Junior doing his CR500AFX build and now that I have looked more into it I see it is quite a common build and parts are readily available. So I was thinking what about a KLX450 with a KX500 engine, KX500AF conversion. Nahhhhh.
I want a bad arse Kermit with ridiculous power and multi cylinder.
So my next long term project is going to be a KLX650C frame with a multi cylinder road bike engine in it. Unlike the KLX700R that I just finished I want to basically keep a donor road bike engine together but jamb it into the KLX frame with twin pipes. If I am going to go to all this trouble then I want to make it worth while and go for the 60 - 70 hp at the rear wheel scale and still have it a brilliant dirt road tourer.
KLE500 are twins but under powered.
So I am thinking more a long the lines of a non LAMS Versys or a 650 Ninja or an ER6N. Fuel injected would be nice. There seems to be a few coming through the salvage auctions cheap laying on pallets.
Or we could go silly with 750cc 4 cylinder but would that be to wide? it will sport the new KLX/KTM Rally Raid fairing and KX450F front end and a cush drive from a KLR650.
The LHS view of the twin Versys engine seems to have the front drive sprocket up too high. Ummmm
With the Dakar fairing and a wide alloy bash plate a 4 cylinder 650cc or 750cc might fit in. ohhhh the sound, Desert Express here we come.
Something that would happily rev to 10 to 12k RPM.
Yeah a Longest day machine that would do it easy.
I'll find some pics...

Here we go again...

Cheers Fogo...

Fogo72 screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 05:08 PM
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Possible engines

ER6N, twin cylinder, 71 hp

GPX650R, twin cylinder, 71 hp.

GPX750, 89 model, 4 cylinder, 90 rear wheel hp.

GPX600R, 89 model, 74 hp

GPZ600R, 85 model, 84 hp

What's your thoughts guys? , certainly plenty of hp out there, even in the old 600 range, which wold make getting a donor bike a bit more affordable...

Cheers Fogo
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
how about the gpx turbo?
i see what you mean about the ER-6 sprocket. shame, it would be a good donk.
a H1 triple would go allright. you'd need to find room for those pipes.
a KR1 motor. parrallel 2 stroke twin would be sweet. would go well in a KLX 250. could be made to be road legal(ish) fairly easily. hmmm, there's an idea!

don't forget the ZZR/ZX6R donk. i had one of those back in 96. that sucker revved to 14,000! pulled hard from 8,000 up.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Caldy
Live your Dreams

Oddometer: 95

Shouldn't have any trouble clearing the doubles when its finished!!!
Caldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
here ya go Fogo.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mardi...-20/1046900772

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakhu...ng-/1055281905
get stuck in. we something new to read.

here's another one.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sprin...ike/1055465766

Simosez screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 07:38 PM
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 774
I'm beginning to think Fogo72 = crazy bastard!

What about a Norton 850 Commando engine in a big dirt bike frame? saw one in Paterson yesterday afternoon. Not sure of what frame but maybe an XR. Plenty of torque at low revs.......upswept open pipes, lovely noise!
".....we are committed to monitoring the weather and the road conditions with all available resources available so we will be allocating all resources available to us to ensure that the weather and road conditions are monitored to provide a route that will have had all possible monitoring......." colm, mayor of Airlie Brake
buckscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 788
After following the KLX700 build, I'm definitely keen to see what you come up with for this one.

2 or 4 cylinder, either way it's gonna be awesome!

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #8
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,365
Thumb Here we go... again...

"I want to basically keep a donor road bike engine together but jamb it into the KLX frame with twin pipes..."

... the scary thing about all this is, that we (now) know that it is not just the med's talking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
Fogo if you go over the the "some assembly required" section of the forum there's been a few builds based around the 650 twin motor most have modified the bike but some have jammed (or tried to) the engine into others bikes.
There's a few kawasaki klr's running the twin with good results.

If you start your build thread in that section you'll get plenty of advice from other like minded people as well, some good and some uh not so good.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 254
dimensionally and weight wise the later ZX-6 and 636 motors would probably be lighter and more compact than the GPz/Gpx motors, there should be a few floating around wrapped in the remains of their original frames
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Well here I am in bed with a broken back for the last 3 weeks which has given me way too much time too think. I have some spare bikes at home that are in bits, KLX650R and a KLX650C model.
I have been scratching my head with Junior doing his CR500AFX build and now that I have looked more into it I see it is quite a common build and parts are readily available. So I was thinking what about a KLX450 with a KX500 engine, KX500AF conversion. Nahhhhh.
I want a bad arse Kermit with ridiculous power and multi cylinder.
So my next long term project is going to be a KLX650C frame with a multi cylinder road bike engine in it. Unlike the KLX700R that I just finished I want to basically keep a donor road bike engine together but jamb it into the KLX frame with twin pipes. If I am going to go to all this trouble then I want to make it worth while and go for the 60 - 70 hp at the rear wheel scale and still have it a brilliant dirt road tourer.
KLE500 are twins but under powered.
So I am thinking more a long the lines of a non LAMS Versys or a 650 Ninja or an ER6N. Fuel injected would be nice. There seems to be a few coming through the salvage auctions cheap laying on pallets.
Or we could go silly with 750cc 4 cylinder but would that be to wide? it will sport the new KLX/KTM Rally Raid fairing and KX450F front end and a cush drive from a KLR650.
The LHS view of the twin Versys engine seems to have the front drive sprocket up too high. Ummmm
With the Dakar fairing and a wide alloy bash plate a 4 cylinder 650cc or 750cc might fit in. ohhhh the sound, Desert Express here we come.
Something that would happily rev to 10 to 12k RPM.
Yeah a Longest day machine that would do it easy.
I'll find some pics...

Here we go again...

Cheers Fogo...
That's friggin' hilarious

Dude, I'd lean towards a parallel twin. Is there any O/S pistons available for the KLE engine? Do Kawasaki do O/S pistons? I'm assuming the KLE has a lower sprocket position???
If you could get a few more cubes out of it with increased bores, go mental on the camshafts and head porting - it would howl...

Just a thought mate. I wouldn't write off the KLE just yet.

What it the firing pattern on the KLE? I mean, degrees between firing?

I don't think a 4 cylinder engine will be much chop with no pull / grunt down low...

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #12
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,255
FYI I'm casually on the look out for a set of road bike suspension bits, so if you find a decent enough bike and want to offset the costs by selling the road bike bits you don't need, fling me a PM and I may be able to help you out.

Happy to also totally lead you astray with what can be done to make a road bike perform as good as a dirt bike....you're not interested in Ducati's are you? I can give you some pointers
Old 09-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
That's friggin' hilarious

Dude, I'd lean towards a parallel twin. Is there any O/S pistons available for the KLE engine? Do Kawasaki do O/S pistons? I'm assuming the KLE has a lower sprocket position???
If you could get a few more cubes out of it with increased bores, go mental on the camshafts and head porting - it would howl...

Just a thought mate. I wouldn't write off the KLE just yet.

What it the firing pattern on the KLE? I mean, degrees between firing?

I don't think a 4 cylinder engine will be much chop with no pull / grunt down low...

Cheers,

Dan.
I had this same conversation with ATgreg some years ago and he said the same thing about the KLE engine, apparently it is the same engine that was in one of the Kawasaki road bikes that was very popular in the road bike racing circuits and there is a ton of performance parts to liven them up. 500cc is smaller than what I wanted but 4 cylinders would be too wide I think. The standard KLE500 is about 48hp at the flywheel I think.
Let me do some more research.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 254
ZX636 motor weighs 5kg more than the ER6, makes the same peak torque but has 40 more ponies, I wanna see this idea become a screamer