User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
bmwblake OP
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
Question r100gs shifter adjustment

for you guys that ride with offroad boots, or have big kicks...

is there enough adjustment in the lever to fit an offroad boot under there, or do you have to buy a different lever?
my street boots are pretty beat so i threw on my astars and went for a ride. upshifting was a challenge. i looked at the linkage and it doesn't seem that there's enough adjustment to make it work. thought i'd ask before i started fiddling.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,612
I have fastway pootpegs, set in the "lowrider" position and can fit my Tech6's (new ones btw) in there to shift easily. It does require a different technique as I can't "feel" the shift lever at all, and did take a little getting used to.

If you ride off-road at all, fastways are absoutely unbeatable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
for you guys that ride with offroad boots, or have big kicks...

is there enough adjustment in the lever to fit an offroad boot under there, or do you have to buy a different lever?
my street boots are pretty beat so i threw on my astars and went for a ride. upshifting was a challenge. i looked at the linkage and it doesn't seem that there's enough adjustment to make it work. thought i'd ask before i started fiddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
I have fastway pootpegs, set in the "lowrider" position and can fit my Tech6's (new ones btw) in there to shift easily. It does require a different technique as I can't "feel" the shift lever at all, and did take a little getting used to.

If you ride off-road at all, fastways are absoutely unbeatable!

+1 Solo!!!! If I ride in Tennis Shoes, I'd need to adjust it, or actually take my foot off the peg. I guess it makes me wear boots!

HiYa Blake!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
slight hijack here...

has anyone else noticed that the adjustment mechanism, which is sort of like a turnbuckle, is threaded the same way on both sides? In order to adjust you have to actually release one end of it, then thread one or both of the threaded ends in or out to lengthen/shorten the throw. Yet there IS a locknut, as if it were a counter-threaded turnbuckle arrangement. I've always thought this was a bit strange, wondered if this has ever had any others scratching their heads...

hijack off -

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Yea "G"

That exact fact has troubled me since I stripped, cleaned and reassembled the shifter linkage.... what was BMW thinking (insert head-scratching smiley here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
slight hijack here...

has anyone else noticed that the adjustment mechanism, which is sort of like a turnbuckle, is threaded the same way on both sides? In order to adjust you have to actually release one end of it, then thread one or both of the threaded ends in or out to lengthen/shorten the throw. Yet there IS a locknut, as if it were a counter-threaded turnbuckle arrangement. I've always thought this was a bit strange, wondered if this has ever had any others scratching their heads...

hijack off -

Quote:
Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Yea "G"

That exact fact has troubled me since I stripped, cleaned and reassembled the shifter linkage.... what was BMW thinking (insert head-scratching smiley here)
they werenŽt

Yes there is enough room to get a size 47 alpinstar tech 8 in there. I would still get a lowering kit though, but Im big, so I would say that.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 43,435
Minor hijack in progress:

I have somewhat the opposite problem. My size 46 Discos are fine on the shifter side (where there is adjustment capability), but it's a tight fit between the rear brake lever (where there is apparently no adjustment capability) and the underside of the carb. Sometimes I need to fiddle around with my foot before I can apply the brake. I have Fastways set in the low position.

Anyone else have this issue?

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
bmwblake OP
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
thanks. i'm glad to see i have the option of adjusting or justification for guying some fastways. also glad to hear that the side are threaded the same. that's a time saver for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
they werenŽt

Yes there is enough room to get a size 47 alpinstar tech 8 in there. I would still get a lowering kit though, but Im big, so I would say that.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

You can adjust the rear brake height... pop off the plastic cover behind the right footpeg, and you can thread the bolt out the actuates the brake light... this allows you to lower the pedal height... make sure to slack the brake cable first, and then check that the brake light goes out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine

I have somewhat the opposite problem. My size 46 Discos are fine on the shifter side (where there is adjustment capability), but it's a tight fit between the rear brake lever (where there is apparently no adjustment capability) and the underside of the carb. Sometimes I need to fiddle around with my foot before I can apply the brake. I have Fastways set in the low position.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine

Oh yeah.

Apart from the up and down adjustment, I got a length of scaffold pole and bent the pedal out, got fed up fishing for it down there. worked perfectly. Not tried my pd with the frankenstein boots yet, but I am sure I will do the same. IŽll be putting the ttech loweres back on back on this one as well (they are 3cm lower, I think the fastways are 1 or 1.5?).

bob
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
thanks. i'm glad to see i have the option of adjusting or justification for guying some fastways. also glad to hear that the side are threaded the same. that's a time saver for sure.
yep its a question of playing around, try the easy and cheap, then the difficult and cheap then the easy and expensive and dont bother with the hard and expensive cos you dont need anything that badly!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 43,435
Quote:
You can adjust the rear brake height... pop off the plastic cover behind the right footpeg, and you can thread the bolt out the actuates the brake light... this allows you to lower the pedal height... make sure to slack the brake cable first, and then check that the brake light goes out!
Quote:
Oh yeah.

Apart from the up and down adjustment, I got a length of scaffold pole and bent the pedal out, got fed up fishing for it down there. worked perfectly. Not tried my pd with the frankenstein boots yet, but I am sure I will do the same. IŽll be putting the ttech loweres back on back on this one as well (they are 3cm lower, I think the fastways are 1 or 1.5?).

bob
Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a try. It's kinda disconcerting to be searching for the pedal when you're running downhill on mixed pea gravel and ruts.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #13
crarchitect
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 39
Fastways level

Quote:
Apart from the up and down adjustment, I got a length of scaffold pole and bent the pedal out... Not tried my pd

bob
Yeah man! Spanish Bob, please install the fastways on your pd, then bend them down with the scaffold pole like your other bike. Tell us how it goes for you. I wish mine were flatter front to back.

Isn't there enough airhead gs'ers to get fastways to do a production run with the perfect gs spindle angle- it is only a few degrees flatter! And after all, the gnarly shiny things appear to be machined anyway.

Anyone Anyone?

FWIW I have mine installed low, Long bolts in the back, short in the front, SIDI Combat Touring, no clearance problems. Super sticky platforms. Fastways are SWEET.
crarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,999
I would be interested in a modded fastway run.

Especially since I was about to order them anyway.
camgregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,532
I've cut some off the end of the shifter arm with the post on it and put a new one alittle further away. Works pretty good. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote