Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
EvanMac OP
EvanMac

Oddometer: 54
Eh? SCOOTER! on the TransAmerica Trail...

My buddy and I are planning a trip this fall to take the Arkansas section of the TransAmerica Trail (400 and something miles of dirt roads and trails). I'll be on my MZ 125 SX and he'll be riding his Stella scooter. We are getting his bike set up and we're wondering how much of an issue water is going to be on his scooter... I know there will be some fairly deep creek crossings etc... But, how deep?

Also, Has anyone else ever attempted this trail on a scooter? How hard is this going to be for him? Are we crazy to try this?

I've done a search but can't find many "off road" scooter posts or ride reports... Surely it's been done before... Right?

EvanMac screwed with this post 10-16-2006 at 12:43 PM
EvanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanMac
My buddy and I are planning a trip this fall to take the Arkansas section of the TransAmerica Trail (400 and something miles of dirt roads and trails). I'll be on my MZ 125 SX and he'll be riding his Stella scooter. We are getting his bike set up and we're wondering how much of an issue water is going to be on his scooter... I know there will be some fairly deep creek crossings etc... But, how deep?

Also, Has anyone else ever attempted this trail on a scooter? How hard is this going to be for him? Are we crazy to try this?

I've done a search but can't find may "off road" scooter posts or ride reports... Surely it's been done before... Right?
Take a look at the "Adventure Scooting Oz Style" thread that's stickied at the top of this forum. You might get some good ideas for setup there. Greystroke has done a great job documenting preps and some of the challenges he's encountered.

Also stickied at the top of the forum is the TITS ride, or "Tossers in the Sahara", aka the most stupid scooter ride ever. It was done on Honda Cubs so it's an apples/oranges thing mechanically, but required reading anyway.

Vespa used to build an ISDE 6-day version, and Vespas ran in Dakar for a number of years. Also in the UK they run scooter trials...so the PK/Stella is certainly durable; it's a matter of whether you expect to bang over obstacles or finesse your way.

And for some great pics of scooter trials riding, go here.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,230

snow riding video:

http://www.doninside.com/video/snow01.wmv

http://www.doninside.com/video/snow02.wmv

http://www.doninside.com/video/snow03.wmv

http://www.doninside.com/video/snow04.wmv

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
EvanMac OP
EvanMac

Eh?

Thanks PHOTOG!!

Those pics and vids are awesome! I was really happy to see the trail riding pics! That looks like some of the trail conditions we will see...

I had read those stickied threads and they were great... However, I was hoping to find some more "tech" posts and maybe some rougher trail riding like you showed me. Maybe some mud?

What about water? Anybody gone through some deep stuff on the scooter? He's planning on sealing up his air box etc. but I was thinking he may want to come up with some kind of snorkle or something??

Any ideas on that?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
with the Stella you could do a snorkel mod pretty easily. However, if you have water higher than the existing air intake, then you also have water covering the carb, which is not waterproof either.

I suppose you could get it sealed, but then you would have lots of other electrical things to worry about.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
PS- We expect a FULL write-up and report on all of this....
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Howdy!
Here is a good TAT write up........ If nothing else they should be able to answer questions.
TAT
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
EvanMac OP
EvanMac

I've been reading some more TAT reports and it seems we could encounter some long sections of fairly deep water (mid motor on a dirt bike!). I've been through some DEEP water on dirtbikes and ATVs and have never encountered electrical issues... I don't think my bike's electical parts are sealed "water tight"...? Why would the scooter be any different?

Maybe the best plan would be some wet test rides!

We plan on taking lots of pics and videos so there should be a good report... I can't wait to see that Stella in action!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
mud
I just wander.....

One thing you could do that I do on my dirt bikes, is take apart the electrical connector(s), squirt some (be generous) dielectric grease (found at your local autoparts store (silicone grease works great)) into it, and put it back together. Presto, instant waterproofness...... I can't imagine your scooters have very many connectors, shouldn't take to long to do.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 187
Keep in mind that Stella uses forced air-cooling... how's that going to work under water?

YouTube Channel
Video Blog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr
Keep in mind that Stella uses forced air-cooling... how's that going to work under water?

WATER COOLED!!!!!

Could you rig up some kind of a fan clutch?

I don't know, just trying to help.....
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
You won't find any deep water crossings on the arkansas section of the TAT. It always depends on the weather of course but the trail is pretty mild and would never come to "mid engine" on a dirtbike. I can't speak for anything west of arkansas though.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
EvanMac OP
EvanMac

Thanks Yater. We're gonna go for it... It's a do or die thing now! I'm going to get some pics of the bikes up here soon. We are looking at the last week of October... We hope to put together a nice ride report!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanMac
Thanks Yater. We're gonna go for it... It's a do or die thing now! I'm going to get some pics of the bikes up here soon. We are looking at the last week of October... We hope to put together a nice ride report!
Evan, There will be a HUGE group of us meeting in the Clarkesville, Ar area to ride the last weekend of october for the fall color tour. If you're riding the trail that weekend, it will send you through Oark. We usually cover some of the TAT during that ride and have a lunch stop on saturday at the oark general store.... so look for a bunch of advriders lost in the woods.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #15
EvanMac OP
EvanMac

Slight change of plans...

Well, the trip is now set for Oct 19th-22nd. We will be riding out of Shreveport Louisiana noonish on Thursday the 19th and heading to Helena Arkansas for the TAT. We plan to start the trail Friday morning... If all goes well we should be headed back South from the Oklahoma/Arkansas border Sunday... there will be four of us on the trip now and the bikes have changed a little...

The Stella will not be making the trip anymore.

Doug figured that since they are not making them anymore he didn't want to possibly tear up a perfectly good bike. Now he's riding his Lifan 150 scooter (highly modified). This should be a very interesting adventure! We are taking some pretty "strange" bikes on this trip... they are as follows:

2006 Lifan LF150T-5 (Scooter)
2003 MZ 125 SX (German dual sport)
2006 Lifan LF200GY-5 (Chinese dual sport)
2006 BMW R 1200 GS
Oh, and a Toyota FJ Cruiser will be the "chase vehicle"...

Gonna be a blast! I can't wait to see how the Lifans hold up!

I'm going to put up some pics of the bikes as soon as we get all of them finished up.... Lots of mods going on!!!