ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How's your > 96 DR650 Cush Drive?
Lateral movement of sprocket 0-1 mm 4 14.81%
Lateral movement of sprocket 1-3 mm 7 25.93%
Lateral movement of sprocket 3-6 mm 2 7.41%
Lateral movement of sprocket > 6 mm 2 7.41%
Bearings changed @ < 5,000 kms 1 3.70%
Bearings changed @ < 10,000 kms 5 18.52%
Bearings changed @ < 15,000 kms 3 11.11%
Bearings changed @ < 20,000 kms 3 11.11%
Bearings changed @ > 20,000 kms 8 29.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
DR650 Cush Drive Bearings

Hi Guys,

I've has some issues with my cush drive bearings and I'm trying to find out more. Most seem to get 10-20,000 kms form them, but I don't.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

How much lateral movement do you get when you try to move your sprocket teeth sideways?

How many kms do you get to a bearing?

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
To check lateral movement does the wheel stay on the bike, everything tightened up? Chain on?
My lateral movement lessened with new Cush Drive rubbers. But that did not last all that long. I'm on my 2nd set of Cush rubbers. Bearings seem fine.

I have two sets of wheels. Both have over 30,000 miles. Bearings all seem OK to me. They "feel" smooth, no roughness or looseness, plenty of grease. I clean and grease them best I can at each tire change. Not much rain riding or water crossings.

I'm thinking of changing ALL wheel bearings before a long (10,000 mile) up coming ride.

Would you recommend the sealed bearings you are using? Or standard Suzuki bearings? Is it possible Suzuki had a reason to use the open ended bearing they used? Or are they just saving money? Normally their engineering is pretty sound ... and I've not heard of very many bearing failures on these bikes .... but there have been a few.

Jammin Jay, riding thorugh S. America had problems ... but he put in cheap Chinese bearings from Pro Cycle ("ALL BALLS" brand). They failed in under 5000 miles, IIRC. His wheel bearings were fine on his bike, but someone suggested he change them out "for good measure" before his long trip. Too bad he used All Balls. I've heard lots of bad stories among dirt bike riders here in California about these. All Junk.

Can't do the poll ... as I've not measured anything yet ... and I'm over your mileages by triple.

Any thoughts?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
Mine failed at 30,000km
Had my DR from new and i had to get the bike towed while on a trip in Tasmania.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Looks like I did mine at about 30,000km.
That's about 70,000km ago.

I do the brake side one more regularly though.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
To check lateral movement does the wheel stay on the bike, everything tightened up? Chain on?
My lateral movement lessened with new Cush Drive rubbers. But that did not last all that long. I'm on my 2nd set of Cush rubbers. Bearings seem fine.

I have two sets of wheels. Both have over 30,000 miles. Bearings all seem OK to me. They "feel" smooth, no roughness or looseness, plenty of grease. I clean and grease them best I can at each tire change. Not much rain riding or water crossings.

I'm thinking of changing ALL wheel bearings before a long (10,000 mile) up coming ride.

Would you recommend the sealed bearings you are using? Or standard Suzuki bearings? Is it possible Suzuki had a reason to use the open ended bearing they used? Or are they just saving money? Normally their engineering is pretty sound ... and I've not heard of very many bearing failures on these bikes .... but there have been a few.

Jammin Jay, riding thorugh S. America had problems ... but he put in cheap Chinese bearings from Pro Cycle ("ALL BALLS" brand). They failed in under 5000 miles, IIRC. His wheel bearings were fine on his bike, but someone suggested he change them out "for good measure" before his long trip. Too bad he used All Balls. I've heard lots of bad stories among dirt bike riders here in California about these. All Junk.

Can't do the poll ... as I've not measured anything yet ... and I'm over your mileages by triple.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, my thinking was to check with everything ready to go, axles tight etc. As I've noted elsewhere, it concerns me that the bearing isn't centred on the sprocket, which puts torsional loads on nthe bearings that they aren't really designed for.

My old 501 Berg uses double sealed bearings and no extra seals on the front wheel and its never had any crap inside the bearings. I have always ended up using double sealed bearings in the past on all my fleet with success. the single sealed bearings Suzuki uses in the cush drive seem to be setting themselves up for failure after any water crossing. Having said that, the replacement lasted less time than the original.

I've also heard negative stories about the All Balls and Moose bearings.

I shall investigate alternative bearings and see what I can come up with, I actually like a wider one and perhaps eliminate the seal. Dunno?

Steve
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
ohiofathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I just replaced my wheel bearings at 6000 miles. Both the cush drive bearings were full of crap and rough. I replaced them with stock bearings, but I removed the seal from the old bearings and installed it on the new bearings so that now I have double sealed bearings.
ohiofathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,786
This is what happens when you forget to change them

Moral of the story is if it feels loose change it (dont buy the bearing like i did and then foget to change it)
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Is there anything on a DR650 that you haven't broken Joe?

FWIW I went to a couple of bearing suppliers in the big smoke this week, aka Fyshwick, and came up with an SKF 3205-2RS. This is a double row bearing that has the same OD and ID, ie 52x25 as the stock 6205 but is 6.6 mm wider at 20.6 mm instead of 15 mm.

I lathed up a new spacer to suit and installed with new cush rubbers and no seal, as there is no longer room for it. The wider bearing is now mostly under the sprocket and has close to twice the load rating, although only rated to 11 k rpm, which is still 4-5 times what it'll do.

As long as the seal survives it'll be OK. As mentioned, my 501 has only ever relied on the bearing seal on the front wheel, and I know of many who have removed their mechanical speedo drives and ended up just relying on the bearing seal without problems.

As I have the original spacer and a couple of new stock bearings and seals I can travel with stock spares and/or a 3205. The seals in the SKF 3205 are difficult to remove without damage, so I will rely on the factory in Austria where it was made for lubrication.

The other downside is the cost. The 3205 was $75 vs $12 for a 6205, ouch!

Steve
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
DuckWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
I got about 15,000 miles out of mine, then one long ride with the chain too tight did them in

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,179
This happened to me at 15,000 kms.

Close call on the swingarm

I had some lateral movement in mine but so did my buddies DRs so we thought it was OK. They all all have new cush drive rubbers and bearings(SKF) now.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide

H14 screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 07:38 AM
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Mine failed at 26kms.......I got a flat on the rear.....was really pissed......when I was about to remove the rear wheel, I noticed all the "play" in the hub. Caught it just in time! Bearing had just started to go.....easy fix at the Suzuki shop ~ 1 mile away Sometimes getting a flat is a good thing
The Breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Is there anything on a DR650 that you haven't broken Joe?

FWIW I went to a couple of bearing suppliers in the big smoke this week, aka Fyshwick, and came up with an SKF 3205-2RS. This is a double row bearing that has the same OD and ID, ie 52x25 as the stock 6205 but is 6.6 mm wider at 20.6 mm instead of 15 mm.

I lathed up a new spacer to suit and installed with new cush rubbers and no seal, as there is no longer room for it. The wider bearing is now mostly under the sprocket and has close to twice the load rating, although only rated to 11 k rpm, which is still 4-5 times what it'll do.

As long as the seal survives it'll be OK. As mentioned, my 501 has only ever relied on the bearing seal on the front wheel, and I know of many who have removed their mechanical speedo drives and ended up just relying on the bearing seal without problems.

As I have the original spacer and a couple of new stock bearings and seals I can travel with stock spares and/or a 3205. The seals in the SKF 3205 are difficult to remove without damage, so I will rely on the factory in Austria where it was made for lubrication.

The other downside is the cost. The 3205 was $75 vs $12 for a 6205, ouch!

Steve
Since this post I modified the seal a bit, thinned it down by grinding off the tapered bit and added a retainer to keep it from falling out.

Also got a second hub from the wrecker.

The double row bearing lasted 10,000 kms before lateral play appeared, and it also seemed to develop the play overnight. I'm now on the original hub with another SKF double row bearing as pictured above with about 3,000 kms and still tight. Sourced some cheaper bearings on eBay from the UK and will just keep a hub ready to go when I detect play.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=180

I cannot figure out why I seem to be chewing these things up when most don't.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
I reckon it needs a bearing on the inside end of the cushdrive as its the inside end thats unsupported. That would hold the cushdrive square on the axle and not rely on the rubbers to limit movement. Havent pulled the wheel off to see if its possible though ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I reckon it needs a bearing on the inside end of the cushdrive as its the inside end thats unsupported. That would hold the cushdrive square on the axle and not rely on the rubbers to limit movement. Havent pulled the wheel off to see if its possible though ?
I like your thinking, but it won't happen without lots of mods. Probably need to make a billet one with 2 bearings.

Steve
Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Have you looked into any of the aftermarket hubs with cush drives to see how they are set up. ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote