User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
John 10:10 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
G650 X Oil Change Instructions?

Has anyone found the correct procedure for oil changes on the G650 XChallenge?
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,239
I believe it goes like this:
  • keep the bike level and remove the drain bolt from the crankcase. Leave the adjacent banjo bolt in the crankcase, do not remove that. The oil in the crankcase should come out now.
  • on the lower rear of the oil tank there is a bleed bolt, just like you find on a brake caliper. Shift a piece of fishtank hose on the bleed bolt and give the bleed bolt half a turn. The oil in the oil tank should come out now.
  • After the bike has stopped leaking close the bleeder bolt, and install the drain bolt again (with a new crush washer please).
  • Put the bike on the sidestand, and remove the oil filter cover to replace the oil filter element. And bolt it up again.

Now it's time to put new oil in the engine. Fill the oil tank to it's neck with oil, and start up the bike. let it run for 15 second and kill it. (really important!!). Fill the oil tank up again until you have poured 2 quarts in total into the oil tank (which is slightly below 2 liters) . The engine and oil tank together are claimed to hold 2,3 liters of oil, but we don't want to overfill.

Fire up the engine, and let it warm up. Ride around the block and let it idle at least 1 minute until the fan comes on. Kill the engine and check the oil level. Add oil untill the oil level is the top mark on the dipstick (measure this with the dipstick not turned into the tank)

This should do it I believe.

have fun,

Max
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,667
Thanks Max!! So, 2 litres should do it then
Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

Oddometer: 209
Correct. One important item to add: make sure the engine is really hot... Normal procedure is run the engine untill the fan comes on, and after this one more minute (or fews more) in idle. Cut the engine and start the procedure below. This to make sure that most of the oil is in the tank, and not somewhere in between tank and engine, hard to drain this way without removing all the oil hoses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I believe it goes like this:
  • keep the bike level and remove the drain bolt from the crankcase. Leave the adjacent banjo bolt in the crankcase, do not remove that. The oil in the crankcase should come out now.
  • on the lower rear of the oil tank there is a bleed bolt, just like you find on a brake caliper. Shift a piece of fishtank hose on the bleed bolt and give the bleed bolt half a turn. The oil in the oil tank should come out now.
  • After the bike has stopped leaking close the bleeder bolt, and install the drain bolt again (with a new crush washer please).
  • Put the bike on the sidestand, and remove the oil filter cover to replace the oil filter element. And bolt it up again.

Now it's time to put new oil in the engine. Fill the oil tank to it's neck with oil, and start up the bike. let it run for 15 second and kill it. (really important!!). Fill the oil tank up again until you have poured 2 quarts in total into the oil tank (which is slightly below 2 liters) . The engine and oil tank together are claimed to hold 2,3 liters of oil, but we don't want to overfill.

Fire up the engine, and let it warm up. Ride around the block and let it idle at least 1 minute until the fan comes on. Kill the engine and check the oil level. Add oil untill the oil level is the top mark on the dipstick (measure this with the dipstick not turned into the tank)

This should do it I believe.

have fun,

Max
Metteke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 10:10
Has anyone found the correct procedure for oil changes on the G650 XChallenge?
Max is right as far as the official procedure, but I found it enormously easier to siphon the warm oil out the oil filler hole. The drain procedure is awkward.

I got a siphon device from Pep for $9. I have replaced it with a large device which also works for my truck, etc. The large unit is Mityvac brand.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
John 10:10 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Thanks Max! Everyone still agrees on Dino oil for the 1st 5000 mi.?
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
... The drain procedure is awkward.
What is awkward about sliding on a hose and turning a bleed screw half a turn?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Bong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Sorry for the really stupid question - but do you check the oil level with the bike on its side stand or upright? Thanks
Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Sorry for the really stupid question - but do you check the oil level with the bike on its side stand or upright? Thanks
Upright.

And I was told to check oil level with dipstick screwed in, unlike what maxcool states. I dont know if Im right however. Just what I was told by BMW during my walk around of the bike when i bought it.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Then of all the bikes I've owned the Xchallenge would be the first bike where you'd have to screw the dipstick in to check the level. That defies logic to me. The owners manual (in Dutch at least) is a little fuzzy about it. I do believe there was an errata about how to check the oil level, I'll go and check my dealer.

And after all, it's a dipstick right, not a screw-in stick?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
From the (US Model) Rider's Manual:

"To check oil level, screw the oil dipstick in and then out again".
Yet another logic defying solution from the Motorrad company

Max, you got my email the other day?

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #12
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

You didn't get a reply?

Hmm, I'll try to send it again.

Max
Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #13
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Another dumb question: what are all those extra washers for that come with the "filter kit"? I remember using the new drain plug bushing but I keep saving the others until I figure out what to do with them.

Pine Barons Enduro RidersSupporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
Another dumb question: what are all those extra washers for that come with the "filter kit"? I remember using the new drain plug bushing but I keep saving the others until I figure out what to do with them.
Pretty sure one of them is for the coolant drain plug, the other one I don't know.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
I also skipped out on the other crush washers, no idea but I got the one i took off.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote