Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
dobblego OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
KTM690 perunmoto lower fuel tank bolts

Hello,
I have installed the perunmoto tank subframe reinforcement kit. The bolt end is fouling on the drive chain when the rear suspension is compressed. Just wondering if others have had a similar problem?

Bigger image for clarity: http://i.imgur.com/POk9kFW.jpg

dobblego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
dobblego OP
Adventurer

This problem has been resolved. I was alerted to this fouling by a mechanic, who pulled the bike apart and back together again. It turns out that he had installed the bolt around the wrong way. The bolt is supposed to be inserted from the side of the drive chain (exhaust side), with the bolt end on the side of the rear brake disc. I installed the bolt myself several months ago.

See step 13 of the install instructions:
https://perun-motorcycle-store.mysho...nforcement-kit

I am unable to delete this post, so I guess it stands for anyone else in a similar trap.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
good info. Leave the thread up. There are a lot of us klutzes around.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
dobblego OP
Adventurer

Actually, I have been exchanging emails with Nikola (perunmoto), who has been very helpful. It turns out I have the older design for this part, which has this problem. My friend has a 2011 model, who also has the older design, but is unaffected. The older design is a bolt with a thread each end. The newer design is a bolt with a hex head at one end, which gives better clearance.

In this case, it seems that only the 2014 models, who had purchased the earlier design, are affected. Nikola is being very helpful by sending the corrected bolt (newer design) to me free of charge, to Australia.

I had also purchased the rear luggage rack from perunmoto, which I use regularly e.g. to carry a laptop and I have also built a box to go on top. No problems at all. Very happy with perunmoto.

I will report back an outcome once I receive the corrected bolt and fit it to the bike. Thanks heaps to Nikola.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #5
dobblego OP
Adventurer

An update on this situation.

After a brief exchange of email, Nikola (perunmoto.com) has sent me, free of charge and free shipping (Serbia to Australia), a new bolt, nut, sleeve, washers and bushings to suit the 2014 model KTM 690 Enduro, which is slightly different to earlier models in small ways. The reason Nikola sent me all of these additional parts (to the bolt) is because sometimes the tolerances between different bolt diameters can be large and so the sleeve and bushings are adjusted to suit each bolt specifically.

The main difference is that the new bolt has a regular hexagonal head instead of a thread and nut, as can be seen in this image:

In my case, the replacement bolt diameter was less than 0.1mm wider and so I did not have to replace any other parts except for the bolt, new washers and new nut. It took me about 10 minutes to do. The bolt head now clears the drive chain and the issue is completely resolved.

At the same time as originally purchasing the subframe reinforcement kit, I also bought the rear luggage rack. I have also seen the Touratech luggage rack on a friend's 690, which in my opinion, is not as strong or functional as the one from perunmoto.com. It is also more expensive. I have made a rear luggage box out of a ($50) reinforced plastic tool box, in which I carry a laptop and other miscellaneous things to my workplace. Since the rear luggage rack is made of thick aluminium, I am confident that it will not fail under any stress. I could not say the same for the Touratech when I looked at it, which is the primary reason that I started looking elsewhere to begin with.

Since noticing a problem with compatibility of this part, I sent a couple of emails to Nikola and within 48 hours, a new part was in the (international) post, with no charge to me. When I first purchased from perunmoto.com, I was initially worried about having potential compatibility issues that would be difficult to resolve. However, I have found that perunmoto.com provides exceptional service and I would highly recommend these parts to other riders, for both high build quality and excellent service in unforeseen events.

Please support this guy. He is doing it right.