User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Duke 690 or VStrom 650?

Any thoughts on these two bikes? KTM will probably give me more smiles per KM but Vstrom is probably more practical and still should be fun right?

I live very near some hellishly twisty mountain roads that the KTM would just eat up on the weekends, no freeway riding necessary. But I also like to take off on longer trips from time to time.

I currently own a '98 F650 with big aluminum panniers, its great in the twisties, does a bit of offroad and tours pretty well. But I want a machine with modern brakes, suspension etc. for safety and fun factors. Any thoughts would be appreciated from people about reliability etc., and of course even if I do ever make a decision, I will have to decide on what year bike I want, since it will be a used one...ahhh why cant I just have them all....
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 821
Funny

This is like asking, "Should I get a Porsche 911 or a Volkswagen Bug.

Get the 911
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
You are in Orange Crush?

I recommend the 1190 Adventure R.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Any thoughts on these two bikes? KTM will probably give me more smiles per KM but Vstrom is probably more practical and still should be fun right?....
Motorcycles and wives are never chosen like this...
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Its not such a weird question, both bikes can be had used for 5-6000 and I make minimum wage, so the porsche vs beatle comment is kind of missing the point. I need to do my research and get the most bang for my buck.

Both will be an improvement over my 98 F650 single, which is a fantastic bike but the suspension is shot and brakes are lacking, especially when I ride loaded two up.

Yet a majority of time spent on my bike is by myself in the mountain twisties so you see where I am going with this. Sacrifice travel potential for weekend fun on the KTM?

I've toured two up on a Yamaha SR250 and Im SURE that I could do it on the KTM, but maybe my GF would appreciate an added comfort level of the Vstrom.

Why did this thread get moved to thumpers? The Vstroms a Vtwin and I wanted opinions from the KTM guys.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Why did this thread get moved to thumpers? The Vstroms a Vtwin and I wanted opinions from the KTM guys.
Good question.

And I'd go for the Strom [oh, that's right, I already did ]

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 463
touring on the ktm would be rough 2 up forget about it. I would go for the strom. lot more pratical
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I love my Duke 690. I love it so much I actually sold my KTM 990 Adventure because I just didn't ride it anymore. I plan on getting another dual sport for my dirt fix though. It's funny when I ride with guys that have 600cc and 1000cc sportbikes on a tight mountain road. I'm either right there with them or in front.

Get the Duke.

On mine I did the Akrapovic exhaust, airbox, and race cam. It dyno'd at 74.5rwhp. Not bad for a 300lb bike that lays on it's side when you just think about going into a turn.

Have I mentioned I love my 690 Duke yet?

I've also done 600 miles in a single day on it. Rode from my house just west of Phoenix to Big Bear in California using all backroads and two lane highways. Then took the slab back. Damn comfortable bike with their Powerparts seat on it. KTM sells bags for it that I plan on getting.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
timeOday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
If I had not a lot of money and wanted one bike to do everything, it would have to be a VStrom 650.

I haven't ridden a Duke 690, but I do have an KTM Adventure 640 LC4 and a Husqvarna SM510R, which largely straddle the Duke in their characteristics.

A great advantage of a VStrom as a primary vehicle is that with a topcase you can carry tons of crap, like going for some groceries with your SO. Another is that it has wind protection - I have a Madstad adjustable windscreen on mine. I love the sensory overload of my supermoto more as an occasional treat when I am in the mood to get slapped around.

Don't under-estimate the fun factor of the VStrom. It's about identical to the Duke in horsepower, but the VStrom engine is so smooth that it's really usable up in the RPMs. With its weight it doesn't accelerate super-hard or wheelie, but it does pull hard enough to pass just fine on the freeway. And it always just works. (Can't say I've had any major mechanicals with my KTM either, although I haven't logged nearly as many miles on it).

The only thing I really regret about my VStrom as a daily driver is that it does not have anti-lock brakes, I would recommend getting that whichever bike you go with.
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #10
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I would get the V-Stom. I had an SV 650 and loved the engine.....smooth, powerful and great gas mileage. And from what I have read, the V-Stom engine is even better. The bike was just too small for me so I went to a V-Strom 1000, and ultimately, my 990R. Good luck!
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote