ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #1636
aggrohead
Adventurer
 
aggrohead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tri-Cities, WA (or the Dry-Sh*tties)
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Hi guys, I see there is a few electrical dramas on the thead at the moment and it's great to have people like "itsatdm" to spend the time to help other guys out.
My original speedo shit itself the other month and I didn't know what I was going to do about it, being an "R" model it had just the speedo and that was it, no tacho. My mate bought a Koso digital speedo/tach dash assembly and it cost about $400. So I looked around and found a cheap copy on EBAY for $60 and it works great. Here is a few pics of making the new dash.

Yes I am very thankful for guys like "itsatdm" and obviously thankful FOR itsatdm!

I REALLY like that dash fogo, looks really awesome and modernizes the bike a bit, Gets rid of the utilitarian look and makes it looks sportier.

I hope you don't mind but I posted the link to your post on my facebook haha.
aggrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #1637
Fogo72
I Bleed Green
 
Fogo72's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass View Post
Hey Fogo, that dash is an absoluter pisser!!

Any chance you can supply a link for that unit?

Another question - have you had the stator rewound? as from what I believe the R model doesn't produce very much power to drive any accessories. Please enlighten.....
Cheers
Mass
Hey Mass, the "R" model is not the greatest is the power dept, but another "R" model I used to own I ran the original headlight and two 55w spotties ok, My current bike I converted to electric start so I had to run a "C1" crank and "C1" stator so I have plenty of power. I'll try and find a link for the speedo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yrjTNwNhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtdyM_xcL1M

I have just emailed the seller as he doesn't have them listed for sale any more, stay tuned.

The guy just got back to me and he said he will have more assembled in 3 days and they will be back on EBAY.
Cheers Fogo..

Fogo72 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 02:18 PM
Fogo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1638
Petrolburner
Noise Maker
 
Petrolburner's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Redmond, OR
Oddometer: 534
Thumb

Sweet dash Fogo! Must have an adjustable redline eh?
__________________
2005 Gas Gas EC 250, 2004 Sherco 2.9, 2002 aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord, 1993 Kawasaki KLX 650
Public land means public access! Get involved or get locked out!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #1639
Fogo72
I Bleed Green
 
Fogo72's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
Sweet dash Fogo! Must have an adjustable redline eh?
Hey Burner, I think the speedo's were made for the china scooter market so no the RPM red line is not adjustable, it redlines at 7000 RPM on the speedo and I think the C model bike's tacho red lines at 7500 RPM so mine is out about 500 RPM, no biggy, I might be kinder on the engine. anyway they make all their power low to mid range. Thats why their thumpers.
Cheers Fogo...

Fogo72 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 02:19 PM
Fogo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #1640
Fogo72
I Bleed Green
 
Fogo72's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 1,481
KLX650 "R" engine dissassembly

Check this out, what a great Vid. Must watch.
Cheers Fogo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_T8...eature=related
Fogo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #1641
Petrolburner
Noise Maker
 
Petrolburner's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Redmond, OR
Oddometer: 534
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogo72 View Post
check this out, what a great vid. Must watch.
Cheers fogo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_t8...eature=related
awesome!
__________________
2005 Gas Gas EC 250, 2004 Sherco 2.9, 2002 aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord, 1993 Kawasaki KLX 650
Public land means public access! Get involved or get locked out!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #1642
Matje
Matje
 
Matje's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Leende Netherlands
Oddometer: 61
Exhaust too loud

recently bought a KLX650C 1993

Did the air filter modification following directions of this forum:
- Drilled some big holes in the lid of the filterbox; see foto.
(In this way the lid can serve as a frame for a prefilter (panty hose) as described by itsatdm.)
- Put a larger main jet nr 142,5 in
The exhaust is a Marving (was already on it)
The increase in power is remarkable!!



However the noise is also increased, and that is a problem.
Here in the south of Netherlands we still have plenty off-road possibilities. But we have to maintain “low-profile”, otherwise the areas will be closed. So I will have to look for another exhaust.

Questions:
If I use a stock exhaust (I don’t have one yet); can I still make a power increase like mentioned above?
But without a big increase in noise?
(I understand that holes in the air box will always increase noise)

Any other suggestions for an exhaust muffler that will not be loud?

PS: I read on this forum that some people have trouble in finding jets in certain sizes. I found a seller that has them in 2,5 increments for 3 euro each: www.japparts.nl (yes, in Dutch)

Matje

(how can I insert images in the text?)
Attached Images
 
Matje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #1643
Matje
Matje
 
Matje's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Leende Netherlands
Oddometer: 61
Steering lock: tamper proof bolts

And another question for my KLX650C 1993.

The steering lock is not working.
The lock cilinder itself and the ignition contact are oke. Its only the mechanical part of the steering lock that is stuck.
I suppose it is never been used and I can get it going by dismantling and cleaning.
But: the lock housing is fixed by tamper proof bolts, and it is difficult to reach with a drill.

Does anyone know what kind of bolts are used?
The heads look like a negative version of torx?

I can not find anything about this in the service manual.

gr. Matje
Matje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #1644
Petrolburner
Noise Maker
 
Petrolburner's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Redmond, OR
Oddometer: 534
Try repacking the muffler first. My Pro Circuit T4 has always been too loud. It was suggested to me that I repack it by someone who might know what they're talking about, so I'll give it a try.
__________________
2005 Gas Gas EC 250, 2004 Sherco 2.9, 2002 aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord, 1993 Kawasaki KLX 650
Public land means public access! Get involved or get locked out!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #1645
aggrohead
Adventurer
 
aggrohead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tri-Cities, WA (or the Dry-Sh*tties)
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matje View Post
And another question for my KLX650C 1993.

The steering lock is not working.
The lock cilinder itself and the ignition contact are oke. Its only the mechanical part of the steering lock that is stuck.
I suppose it is never been used and I can get it going by dismantling and cleaning.
But: the lock housing is fixed by tamper proof bolts, and it is difficult to reach with a drill.

Does anyone know what kind of bolts are used?
The heads look like a negative version of torx?

I can not find anything about this in the service manual.

gr. Matje
I have been having this issue, although my issue is a bit different since i think someone tried to steal my bike! My steering lock won't move either so i dropped it off at a locksmith and he told me those smaller bolts are called shear bolts, and he was just going to take a dremel to them and open a flathead slot to unscrew them. And yeah there isnt anything in the service manual. I'm sure if you take the ignition to a locksmith they could help you too.
aggrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #1646
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matje View Post
recently bought a KLX650C 1993

Did the air filter modification following directions of this forum:
- Drilled some big holes in the lid of the filterbox; see foto.
(In this way the lid can serve as a frame for a prefilter (panty hose) as described by itsatdm.)
- Put a larger main jet nr 142,5 in
The exhaust is a Marving (was already on it)
The increase in power is remarkable!!



However the noise is also increased, and that is a problem.
Here in the south of Netherlands we still have plenty off-road possibilities. But we have to maintain “low-profile”, otherwise the areas will be closed. So I will have to look for another exhaust.

Questions:
If I use a stock exhaust (I don’t have one yet); can I still make a power increase like mentioned above?
But without a big increase in noise?
(I understand that holes in the air box will always increase noise)

Any other suggestions for an exhaust muffler that will not be loud?

PS: I read on this forum that some people have trouble in finding jets in certain sizes. I found a seller that has them in 2,5 increments for 3 euro each: www.japparts.nl (yes, in Dutch)

Matje

(how can I insert images in the text?)

Not sure what a Marvel is, I have a Scorpion. Yes I have an open airbox. It is surpising how noisy that thing is. I put my stock muffler on for a few weeks and it made as much noise as the Scorpion.

If you are concerned about the noise, that is why they invented duct tape. BTW your jetting is perfect for a stock set up.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #1647
Fogo72
I Bleed Green
 
Fogo72's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Not sure what a Marvel is, I have a Scorpion. Yes I have an open airbox. It is surpising how noisy that thing is. I put my stock muffler on for a few weeks and it made as much noise as the Scorpion.

If you are concerned about the noise, that is why they invented duct tape. BTW your jetting is perfect for a stock set up.
If its to loud your too old !
Fogo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #1648
Fogo72
I Bleed Green
 
Fogo72's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 1,481
Hey Guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVzG...yer_detailpage


Check this out, two guys riding their KTM990's
Fogo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1649
aggrohead
Adventurer
 
aggrohead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tri-Cities, WA (or the Dry-Sh*tties)
Oddometer: 61
That was a pretty big kangaroo! There's nothing in Washington that big that would just jump out at ya haha! well not in the desert of the east side anyways.
aggrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #1650
Petrolburner
Noise Maker
 
Petrolburner's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Redmond, OR
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrohead View Post
That was a pretty big kangaroo! There's nothing in Washington that big that would just jump out at ya haha! well not in the desert of the east side anyways.
Mule deer are bigger than that and just as dumb. They will leap right out in front of you on the road or on the trail. ATGATT.
__________________
2005 Gas Gas EC 250, 2004 Sherco 2.9, 2002 aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord, 1993 Kawasaki KLX 650
Public land means public access! Get involved or get locked out!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014