Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
this makes you eligible for the KLX hall of fame.

as a repeat, I have a KLX R 5 gal acerbis, to mount it to a C is a bunch of work. I have been told on the KLX yahoo forum they have done it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
OK one more time, just to get my post count up and for the 1/2 dozen that might be interested. This is my effort at an adventure bike:

Side panel tank is a Baja Designs for a Yamaha 426. Couple of simple brackets and cheap electric fuel pump to replentish the main tank via the charcoal cannister vent. Quick connects for fuel and it can be removed in about 15 minutes. Total capacity is 4.4 gal. A few carb adjustments and it pulls like a train and still gets over 50mpg.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #17
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
No problem, I've posted this before. Here goes again. Yes, you can mount a 4 gal tank to the street model. Not really all that much work, just dollars to spend on an "R" seat, new white plastic and some bar risers.

Here is my '95 C with the Acerbis green tank. I can tell lots of stories about setting this thing up. Bottom line it works well without any serious issues.

4 gal Acerbis tank
"R" model seat rebuilt by Boejangles
FCR 39mm carb
Fatbars with risers
578cc big bore Vulcan piston upgrade
43mm WP/KTM front end
320mm EBC rotor
Happy Trails rack and boxes

It's all good! Lot's of work, yes, but I do love this bike. Cruises at 85 with a full load. Holds it's own with LC4's on the trail.

Before:

During:

Naked:

Boxes:

Action:

-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 08-29-2006 at 04:25 PM Reason: correction: tank 4gallon not 5
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #18
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
are those katoom/WP forks?

anyone ever sees a R seat lemme know....
Old 08-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

yupp, 43mm WP fork, front wheel and brake caliper from a '00 KTM RFS. The beauty is there are pleanty of these older forks floating around. After KTM upgraded their spec to 48mm, no one wanted the smaller ones. 'cept me that is...

-dubb
Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I almost forgot to introduce you my KLX "C" version with desert conversion hand made
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #21
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

That is awesome.

Got any close ups of the screen and tank. I'm working on a desert screen setup for mine, but it pales by comparison.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Damn R-dubb where were you last year when we tried to outfit that bike?? I posted these questions (particularly the tank issue) on every internet forum I know of...including the yahoo group and never got a straight answer about the tank. Apparently, you are the only one who has actually done the mod....because everyone else said it was a pita.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Sorry about that. I did post numerous entries on the Yahoo list (Rdubbious) including how to go about mounting the tank. I haven't been active there lately, but I do check in from time to time.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #24
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
That is awesome.

Got any close ups of the screen and tank. I'm working on a desert screen setup for mine, but it pales by comparison.
You can taka a look HERE (on line translator version here)

PS: i put also the kick starter without putting off the elettric one
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #25
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
WOW That's awesome... great job dude.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #26
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oh yeah

Great documentary!

thanks for sharing
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #27
COBAUM OP
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
KLX Police Interceptor Update

OK, I feel like an idiot.

I ask if there are any of you out there and then I spend two weeks working on the bike and don't even look at the thread. It is back together. Cranks, but the CDI is fried. I mean really fried. Looks almost like it was sitting right on the exhaust. $280 for a new one. I'll have to watch ebay for awhile to find a used one. That is unless one of my brethren has an extra for sale?

Since I am not riding it yet I have only one impression to share. It is so much lighter than the KLR. I have to push them around to get to one or the other and the KLX is WAY lighter. That may be because the KLR has the nerf cage, bash plate and over 5 gallons of gas! But I am excited. The thought of a lighter bike than the KLR has me all hot and bothered.

I see that here as well as the yahoo forum the biggest issue is the gas tank size. The KLX has a 3.2 gal tank that does not have the two "sides" that the KLR has. So, unlike the KLR, you get to use ALL the gas in the tank. I read that most owners get around 50 mpg. That's 150 miles per tank. Here in Colorado that is not a problem. You will pass a gas station somewhere. So you stop and get gas while you check your trail map. I may be naive, but I don't see it being such a big issue. I may change my mind after a few trips.

I'll post a couple of pics soon. It's all black except for the green C1 frame. I took the red and white flashing police lights off, so it does not have the Police Interceptor look any longer!

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #28
sattara
Dzogchenpa

Oddometer: 129
Question

I posted an ebay listing number for a CDI for you a couple of days ago on the KLX forum...
sattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #29
COBAUM OP
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
Hi, sattara. I saw that. Not the same part. My wiring harness has a 2-wire connector and a 6-wire connector. The ebay one is a three connectors. Apparently they used a couple of different CDIs over the years. Unfortunately, the part number on mine was worn off, so I do not have it. Guess I'll just keep my eye on ebay. Hate to wait cause I'm so close.

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #30
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBAUM
Hi, sattara. I saw that. Not the same part. My wiring harness has a 2-wire connector and a 6-wire connector. The ebay one is a three connectors. Apparently they used a couple of different CDIs over the years. Unfortunately, the part number on mine was worn off, so I do not have it. Guess I'll just keep my eye on ebay. Hate to wait cause I'm so close.
Here's another one for a KLR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KLR65...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking there is a fairly good chance they are similar. (Have you tried the one from your KLR?)

Good luck

R-dubb screwed with this post 08-30-2006 at 09:08 AM