Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #286
Hayden#69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Thank gawd someone has spent more money on thier KLX than me. 8k. Im up over 5 grand now and I sure hope Im done. Just think, you could have spent 8K on a brand new 610 and been way ahead of where you are now. I know dude, its easy to spend money on the dam thing isnt it. Just wish I could sell it for 5k and upgrade. Yea thats not happnin.

Hayden
Hayden#69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #287
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Went with the Husky TE 610, layed down the coin yesterday, pick her up tomorrow. I figured you only live once so why not just get what you want. Thanks for the input on the KLX guys.
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #288
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,727
My KLX...

my KLX 650 is great! 97 stock... I've got a 5 gallon tank in the mail! I'll post some ride reports as soon as i figure out how to attach a photo... is there no way to add pics without having your own webspace?

GISkev screwed with this post 12-11-2007 at 05:54 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #289
Badassbobthecattlerustler
Cheap Jap Bike Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Parting out a '93 KLX650R

Decided not to throw money into a '93 that I bought a week ago. I started parting it out on Ebay.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #290
Bikerguy1409
Bikerguy

Oddometer: 42
Hello fellow bikers.

Thought I'd post a picture of my bike, a 93 KLX 650. Pretty much stock except for a opened air box, rejetted, a ICat on the ingnition and a Lazer exhaust and a modified seat.. I current ride it more like a supermoto and less off road. This is a very good combination for this bike.
Attached Images

Bikerguy1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #291
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
KLX650 or XR650L...

Just found a older KLX650 (enduro) - good price, not too far away to go and see on a weekend.

Anyway, I was all set to spring for an older XR650L, when the above bike pops up on my search radar...a bit less money than the XR650L, but it's also a bit older and has more mileage.

My use for the bike would be dirt roads and fire trails - that's about it - probably some highway, probably won't commute (150 miles round trip) anytime soon on whichever bike I get, but you never know if diesel keeps going up in price, I might just bite the bullet. :)

So, any feedback on the two bikes, good or bad?

Thank you for your time.

M.
yosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #292
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
Just found a older KLX650 (enduro) - good price, not too far away to go and see on a weekend.

Anyway, I was all set to spring for an older XR650L, when the above bike pops up on my search radar...a bit less money than the XR650L, but it's also a bit older and has more mileage.

My use for the bike would be dirt roads and fire trails - that's about it - probably some highway, probably won't commute (150 miles round trip) anytime soon on whichever bike I get, but you never know if diesel keeps going up in price, I might just bite the bullet. :)

So, any feedback on the two bikes, good or bad?

Thank you for your time.

M.
Are you looking at a KLX650C (factory street legal version) or a KLX650R (offroad version)?

I have both an XR650L and a KLX650R. They're both great bikes. My R kicks ass on the XRL in the dirt but is a total bitch on the highway. A KLX650C would be more comparable to an XRL. Problem is there ain't much aftermarket support for either version of the KLX. Much more for the XRL. So if the KLX is already configured the way you want it you're cool; if not you should check out whether the things you want are available for the KLX or be ready to fab it yourself.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #293
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
KLX 680c

Been a while since I pimped my KLX, so I thought I would give it another shot.

I know what you are saying. Seen that picture. But it is what is under the hood that is important.

That is a Wossner, forged aluminum piston 102mm, giving 680cc more or less of fire breathing power.

Comparison with the stock piston:

Obvious shortened coated skirt. Also 76 gr lighter. Other than the difference in size, the top shares the same design as the stocker, so compression ratio should be the same.
The piston was purchased from LA sleeve, comlete with rings, pin and circlips for $185. They or the machinist of your choice can bore and hone for around $80 more.
Only 200 miles on it, so not prepared to announce the mother of all mods yet, but so far money well spent.
First thing I noticed is that there is a lot more tension in the #1 & 2 rings. I have used no oil. At steady state throttle, little vibration, get on the gas and you know it is a single however. Yes the exhaust is louder, in a lower menacing way. What you really notice is the increased torque between 3 and 6500rpm, especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Making passes, you would swear you were riding a larger displacement twin. With some larger intake valves this would be a real firebreather.
I will be off to DV, next week to further break it in and when I return I will do some runs on my local hill to compare roll on speeds against my prior runs on stock and prebore modified runs. I have already beaten the stock run on my 2/10 mile hill in the first 100 yds before I shut it down.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #294
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Hey ITSATDM, wher'd you get the red tank?

That sure would have been helpfull for the Christmas bike......

BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #295
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Hey ITSATDM, wher'd you get the red tank?

That sure would have been helpfull for the Christmas bike......
PM a guy here by the name of "KLXMACK" Last winter he put together a group buy of tanks from acerbis and got them imported from Italy.

Don't know if he's got any left.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #296
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
KLX vs KLR

Just got back from my DV trip and put about 300 more miles in my KLX680. Due to a mishap on one of the trails my KLX testing was cut short, but did give me an opportunity to ride a KLR under similiar circumstances.
First of all the mishap was not motor related. A big old rock jumped up and took out my instrament panel making the bike inoperable. I ended up riding the KLR about 50 miles to civilization to obtain my truck for recovery operations.
First a few observations about the KLR. I know why some refer to it as a tractor. This motor feels very torqey, at low to medium speeds it was quite able to keep up with the KLX680, in fact I would say they were evenly matched. The KLR felt smooth up to about 65 mph, then you could feel the vibes through the handle bars, pegs and seat. The KLX felt smoother up to about 75 before feeling any vibes and even then they were less obtrusive. On steep, higher speed grades the KLX could pull away, had substanially more power to pass as highway speeds. Surprisingly, I felt my aftermarket windscreen provided better wind protection and handled wind gusts better, the KLR directed the wind back onto my shoulders and head.
These bikes are about the same size, the KLX is about 30# lighter, but felt entirely different. The KLX felt more dirt bikish and way lighter, even with its 5 gal tank. The KLR just felt bulkish, partly caused by the larger tank and cowl. I am sure a rider could get used to it, but is disconcerting.
There must be something for soft suspension, The KLR ate up the washboards that bothered the klx, especially the steep uphill kind. In the looser rocky high speed stuff the KLX felt more stable and tracked truer.
I finally redlined the KLX. Where the new piston made for a smoother motor lower in the RPM curve, above 7000 rpm it became harsh. I am guesing that the lighter than stock piston has an effect on the counter balancer at these rpm levels. I still think it is a good tradeoff unless you routinely wring its neck.
I still prefer the KLX, as I have modded it, just because of its felt lightness and flickability. It felt smoother at the speeds I ride and handled the winds better imo. On the other hand I can see why people like their KLR. I could certainly live with one, with a 685 motor and a fork mounted cowl and windscreen.
Neither of these bikes is really suited for tight technical trails, and frankly on highspeed loose rock and sand the KLR scared me at times. But I think with a few mods, that could be cured and it would make an excellent dual purpose bike that it capable of long pavement and medium duty trail rides.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #297
Runamuk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
How much was the total $$$ of this kit?

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Been a while since I pimped my KLX, so I thought I would give it another shot.

I know what you are saying. Seen that picture. But it is what is under the hood that is important.

That is a Wossner, forged aluminum piston 102mm, giving 680cc more or less of fire breathing power.

Comparison with the stock piston:

Obvious shortened coated skirt. Also 76 gr lighter. Other than the difference in size, the top shares the same design as the stocker, so compression ratio should be the same.
The piston was purchased from LA sleeve, comlete with rings, pin and circlips for $185. They or the machinist of your choice can bore and hone for around $80 more.
Only 200 miles on it, so not prepared to announce the mother of all mods yet, but so far money well spent.
First thing I noticed is that there is a lot more tension in the #1 & 2 rings. I have used no oil. At steady state throttle, little vibration, get on the gas and you know it is a single however. Yes the exhaust is louder, in a lower menacing way. What you really notice is the increased torque between 3 and 6500rpm, especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Making passes, you would swear you were riding a larger displacement twin. With some larger intake valves this would be a real firebreather.
I will be off to DV, next week to further break it in and when I return I will do some runs on my local hill to compare roll on speeds against my prior runs on stock and prebore modified runs. I have already beaten the stock run on my 2/10 mile hill in the first 100 yds before I shut it down.
Runamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #298
fle
evil ninja knight

Oddometer: 166
Thumb

Hey KLX-ers!
After a year, I finally found this thread! (no comment about this please)
And I'm so happy!!!

I wanted to know what is you record of km/miles with the original piston?
anyone changed it with a honda xr piston?

Anyone mounted the kick starter on a KLX-c(that has only the electric one)?
Where did you got it? Is the one from the KLX-R or from any other bike compatible?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #299
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,727
Wanted: Airbox for KLX 650 C

I burned a hole in my airbox... does anyone have one they want to sell?

PM me!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #300
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
I burned a hole in my airbox... does anyone have one they want to sell?

PM me!
Welcome to the group, any aftermarket pipe will do that. I bent up a thin piece of aluminum to cover the whole. I then riveted and epoxied it on. end of problem. Also wrapped some ceramic heat tape around the pipe where it comes close to the box......
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote