User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #61
translunar
aging boomer

Oddometer: 48
My KLX STORY

Two summers ago I bought a 96, KLX 650 for $2500.00 bucks. 7K miles or so on it. Aftermarkes muffler and a grease fitting in the fork head. PI put set of HD bark busters on, KLR handle bars and an alu. skid plate on her. What a bike !!
I than got a wild hair and sold it for $3200.00, bought a 2003, BMW F650 GS dakar. Low miles tons of Happy-Trail stuff on it. Rode it last summer. Ok bike but I longed for my KLX. I sold the BMW to a major that had just got back from the war. He loves it. The guy that bought my KLX had to bail off it to avois a head on with another bike on a single track, on a mountain side. The bike went down the side of the mountain, did a 360 in the air, landed upright and still running ( had boxs on it). The guy had to take the bike appart to get it up the mountain. I bought it back for $2000.00. Took a buddy and I 4 hours to put her back together. Put new TKC 80"s on her. Seat redont to black. Took the graphics off, made a bigger flat rack on the back. I love the bike, damnnnn!!!!.
One question for anyone out there (PM me). After getting the bike back and put together there is soot on the end of the muffler. There never was prior to selling it, and all the other stuff that happened to her. Any help out there ?
I put a thread up in thumpers, My friend Jeff has a 96 KLX 650 for sale here in Boise, Idaho. Custom black wheels, black seat. $2500 bucks.
Tom
translunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #62
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
I just bought a 93 C. I also got a 95 R parts bike with it. I have the tank and seat from the R and some of the green plastic. I mainly took the R when I bought mine as I wanted to add the kick start to my C. I'm open to parting out the R when I figure out exactly what I have. Another co-worker just bought a clean 95 for $675 and I got both of mine for $900.
I doubt if you find a crossover, In fact the C and R seats are different and not interchengeble. R comes forward more. Course you can recover the one you've got. If you are interested, I have a red and black recovered seat for the C model. It has a spenko cover and is very comfortable but doesn't look authentic.

Photo here: http://r-dubb.smugmug.com/photos/58016200-M.jpg
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #63
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,254
R-dubb yours looks better.

I'd be interested in buying the R seat, if anyone wants to unload one.

the best description I've read of the neon-puke graphics was "ken and barbie styling" from that motorcycleonline.com shootout. they should of hired someone from bultaco to pick the colors.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #64
COBAUM OP
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
My wife for a CDI

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new CDI. I hate to do it, but I hate looking at the bike just sitting there even more. Problem is, I've been waiting to buy a buddy's Wee-strom and now he wants to sell it. The wife's already bitchin about all the money spent on bikes. And they take up her parking space in the garage.

Actually, she's great and very tolerant. I just hate having three bikes in the garage. Guess the KLR has to go...

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #65
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,384
That seat does look nice, but won't watch my black and turquoise scheme. Now if it was Royal Blue and Black.....

I have a R seat. It's purple, but has a small tear on it. I'll have to get pictures.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 AM   #66
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Posaja that is one trick klx you have. I went to your site. wow.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #67
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
Posaja that is one trick klx you have. I went to your site. wow.
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #68
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,905
Hmmmm , seen a few for sale around lately and am temped........ Just reading this thread anyone want to 'splain to the klx noob wannbe what the differences are between the KLR KLXr and KLXc?

mtne
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #69
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

it would be quicker to run a search in thumpers on klx650 . its a lot of typing
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #70
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
it would be quicker to run a search in thumpers on klx650 . its a lot of typing
thats how I found this thread.............

generally too much one and two line posts to sort through like this one when searching here.............

Think of it as finger excercise

mtne
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #71
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Here are the basics:

The KLR is a completely different bike. Different, more basic engine. A few shared parts, but not many. Turn signals, oil filter, just odds and ends are the same.

KLX-R is the trail version. No electric start, no secondary winding on the stator, so electrical system is basic. Has Nikasil lined cylinder. Both KLX engines are double overhead cams with shim over bucket valves. No doohickey, but the cam chain adjuster is still a sore spot due to poor design, Easily corrected. Plastic tank and seat are more dirt oriented than the C. Suspension is adjustable front and rear. Both versions have 43mm upside down forks.

KLX-C is the road version. Has a 1" smaller rear wheel, different swing arm, chain, sprockets, shock, seat, tank, instruments, plastic, lights, electric system, starter, cylinder has an iron liner so piston and rings are different. Head is the same. I think cams are the same. Crank and trannie are the same. Frame is very close to the same, but has different mounting tabs here and there. Performance is similar, but for the additional 30 pounds or so that the C carries and the slightly less compliant suspension and an inch lower ground clearance. Seat height is similar on the two models.

Any other questions....?
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #72
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,384
Here is my 1993 C for you. The 1995 is a parts bike and is being disassembled.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #73
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 819
tennessee checking in

i have a red 95 klx C model & yep, they are a fun bike. mine's mostly a commuter & sunday favorite roads rider. i've converted my cam chain adjuster before it allowed the bike to break itself. i wish i had a bit more electrical output for a vest in the winter & a bit more seat for my arse, but hey it's not a WANG & it's unlikely that i'd have much room for a stuffed animal on the back anyhow!
i would like to try that 39 mm flatslide. where's a source for such a beast???
dean
old hickory, tn
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #74
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 819
morning bump

happy friday!
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #75
Posaja