Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #751
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike74
I was wondering if the stock forks on the KLX 650c are Kayaba or Showa, or neither. Just wondering.
kyb 43u
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #752
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
All I know about KLX suspension

I bought my bike with 2,900 mile on it. The front exibited all the problems some other riders have brought forth. When I drained the front, I found that one fork was close to what the manual called for, the other barely had any oil in it. After draining and refilling with 7.5 wt oil to the manual levels, all seemed well for my 200#. If you weigh more or less do this, first before messing with spring weight explore the oil weight.
As for the rear, I have a 95, which is supposedly a better shock than the original but is not very good in my opinion. I went dollar cheep with a DRZ Ebay replacement with a 475# weight spring. I think this is a very good cheep solution. If you need some particuliars give me a pm.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #753
Trencaterrossos
Free land man

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I thoght it was 140 but I didn't care for it. I hope that is 2.5 wt oil
I'm interested in this point. Have read about 50-60 psi on the bladder, now about 40 to 70 or a little bit more and...that the DRZ sets 130...

My main problem is that, with the right SAG and spring (450 for a 90kg rider), sometimes the rear wheel beats the plastics and this makes me think in increase the pressure.

I don't know about the pressure on the bladder now, but think that with more pressure, the extension will be faster, and have to reset it and it's now close to the max.

Any suggestion? Have to change the 2,5 oil for a 5?

Thanks.

PD: in front i spend 100 in a wilbers progressive kit and its simply FAN-TAS-TIC. Eats from little bumps to big jumps and holes without any effect on the handlebar

Trencaterrossos screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 10:00 PM
Trencaterrossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #754
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I am not sure that I have a lot to offer. I did a little experimentation when I first got it, first with a 425# spring, because that was close to the stock spring weight according to my math. To firm it up, I tried 140psi and 7.5 weight oil=too soft a spring and a harsh ride even at full soft.
I am old and slow, so was looking for a compliant suspension, thats what I get at these low psi levels. Really can't tell much difference until I get into the higher pressures.
Increasing the pressure will firm up the ride. The bladder in mine won't maintain pressures above 90psi even after replacing the bladder and the valve, but I would do that first and see if you have enough rebound control to handle it.
You can notice it on compression, I didn't much notice the effect on rebound, so it must not have been an issue or at least controlled with the adjustment I had.
As for heavier oil, that definitly has an effect on both compression and rebound and if all else fails, give it a go.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 10:54 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #755
Trencaterrossos
Free land man

Question

Well...only four days to beguin a 2000km off road trip through France with my green one...any suggestion???
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #756
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
brace for acerbis klx650r tank

I got a used acerbis klx650r tank. it turns out that the "wings" will rub on the radiator tabs. looking at the tank closer, I noticed that it has some brass screw hole inserts on the bottom of the wings for what I assume is for a brace that keeps the wings from flexing. does anyone have a picture of how this brace is supposed to look ?
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #757
Trencaterrossos
Free land man

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
I got a used acerbis klx650r tank. it turns out that the "wings" will rub on the radiator tabs. looking at the tank closer, I noticed that it has some brass screw hole inserts on the bottom of the wings for what I assume is for a brace that keeps the wings from flexing. does anyone have a picture of how this brace is supposed to look ?
Have made ones in aluminium and attached at the frame. Easy and useful.

You can see one here:

Think that in some schemes of the acerbis tank you can see the original pieces.

Trencaterrossos screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 12:25 PM
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #758
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
hey, thanks for the pic. that should be easy to farbicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trencaterrossos
Have made ones in aluminium and attached at the frame. Easy and useful.

Think that in some schemes of the acerbis tank you can see the original pieces.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #759
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Too quiet!! Any fellow KLX riders doing any wheel mods/exchanges? What supermoto rim width is most common 3.00 front 4.5/5.0 rear?I have a set of Kaw EX 500 wheels ($26 each) I will try to fit on my C model.The rear will need to be machined down(too wide) to fit and dif. bearings to fit the 20mm axle.Or do you think the 18mm EX 500 axle w/shims? Anyway the KLX650 thread gets bumped to the front....David '94 KLX650 C
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #760
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

translate whole page with google or something
http://nl.babelfish.yahoo.com/

all about sumo
http://www.planetklx.de/wbboard/boar...902090d56e41ff
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #761
fle
evil ninja knight

Oddometer: 166
Thumb

Hi everybody,
I'm back home now, after a year of crazy trippin' around Eu and Morocco. 13000+ km's overall, no problems (beside the bearings in Pt), it was like a fairytale!

I'm eager to hit the trail again, but I came to the conclusion that I definitively need side bags/racks for the next adventure(hopefully, long way round the Black sea).
I'm very very very veeeeery bad (and obviously lazy) in engineering so could anyone post some pics of his racks so I can get some ideas or copy them?
I'm still not sure, aluminium boxes or bags. Time will tell I think...

In conclusion, I have to say, that the KLX is The Bike and love of my life. I'm making up a project in my mind. I'll try to make het look unappealing (hard to do with such a nice bike) for the everyday thief and technically perfect. So bad looking and indestructible is the way I want her.
I hope I'll be able to show you some pics by the end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
I've put 25,000+ miles on a stock Vulcan piston big bore (678cc) with a pipe, cut air box, and a Dial-A-Jet. Obviously the reliability is there - 40,000+ on the bottom end and 25,000+ on the top end and the record hasn't ended yet.
So markk53, how many miles yet??? My XR piston is doing great, but I'm also thinking about going a bit bigger

Cheers
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #762
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
[IMG] my klx650 Adv/motard
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #763
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

boxes or bags

I had a pair off krauser boxes on the KLX.
Next time i go for bags of motor ortlieb with a rackpack on top or wolfmann expediton line.

The vibration off the KLX is more absorbed by bags do not vibrate so much like boxes, see a lot of pages ago how the subframe is cracked.

Buy box holders for the klx 650, to keep the bags off the exhaust.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #764
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by fle
Hi everybody,
I'm back home now, after a year of crazy trippin' around Eu and Morocco. 13000+ km's overall, no problems (beside the bearings in Pt), it was like a fairytale!

I'm eager to hit the trail again, but I came to the conclusion that I definitively need side bags/racks for the next adventure(hopefully, long way round the Black sea).
I'm very very very veeeeery bad (and obviously lazy) in engineering so could anyone post some pics of his racks so I can get some ideas or copy them?
I'm still not sure, aluminium boxes or bags. Time will tell I think...

In conclusion, I have to say, that the KLX is The Bike and love of my life. I'm making up a project in my mind. I'll try to make het look unappealing (hard to do with such a nice bike) for the everyday thief and technically perfect. So bad looking and indestructible is the way I want her.
I hope I'll be able to show you some pics by the end of this year.

So markk53, how many miles yet??? My XR piston is doing great, but I'm also thinking about going a bit bigger

Cheers
Not as many as I'd like, moved to the flat lands and have a Zephyr to do the boring work. The KLX is in eastern Ohio for the good stuff this fall. Got a bit over 43,000 at this time.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #765
fle
evil ninja knight

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway
I had a pair off krauser boxes on the KLX.
Next time i go for bags of motor ortlieb with a rackpack on top or wolfmann expediton line.

The vibration off the KLX is more absorbed by bags do not vibrate so much like boxes, see a lot of pages ago how the subframe is cracked.

Buy box holders for the klx 650, to keep the bags off the exhaust.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to find some nice bags, feels more safe for the surroundings
Today I'm gonna make the racks (hopefully) and then starting to look for sandblasters and painters for my frame.

Btw, nice bike Myway!

Markk53, 43 is a nice number. How often do you adjust the valves?