Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #76
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
I'll bet kawasaki didnt know all this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Here are the basics:

The KLR is a completely different bike. Different, more basic engine. A few shared parts, but not many. Turn signals, oil filter, just odds and ends are the same.

KLX-R is the trail version. No electric start, no secondary winding on the stator, so electrical system is basic. Has Nikasil lined cylinder. Both KLX engines are double overhead cams with shim over bucket valves. No doohickey, but the cam chain adjuster is still a sore spot due to poor design, Easily corrected. Plastic tank and seat are more dirt oriented than the C. Suspension is adjustable front and rear. Both versions have 43mm upside down forks.

KLX-C is the road version. Has a 1" smaller rear wheel, different swing arm, chain, sprockets, shock, seat, tank, instruments, plastic, lights, electric system, starter, cylinder has an iron liner so piston and rings are different. Head is the same. I think cams are the same. Crank and trannie are the same. Frame is very close to the same, but has different mounting tabs here and there. Performance is similar, but for the additional 30 pounds or so that the C carries and the slightly less compliant suspension and an inch lower ground clearance. Seat height is similar on the two models.

Any other questions....?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #77
bfreehill
rally man

Oddometer: 24
Laugh Got one too...

95 KLX650C w/14k on it, basically stock... supertrap, rattle can paint, re-covered the seat and added a simple windscreen.
Love this bike. Keeps up with the LC4's well. averaging about 60mpg riding like a holligan.

bfreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 AM   #78
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,394
^ Nice!!!

I love the all black. I'd love to repaint my frame Royal Blue and recover the seat in the future. I'm still having to much fun right now.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #79
translunar
aging boomer

Oddometer: 48
Thumb Klx 650

I had sold my KLX 650 to buy a F 650 GS Dakar. Did not like the dakar, sold it and bought my KLX back. "I love that bike." Right now there are three KLX 650's for sale in Boise, idaho. Two in the paper ( Idaho Statesman ) and a friend has one for sale. I have TKC 80's on my bike, a white bros. muffler, alu. skid plate... what a great set up. Darn bike will climp a tree !! JUST WENT THROUGH ALL POSTS AND REALIZED I HAD PLACED ONE BEFORE. FORGOT I DID AND HAVE AN EXCAUSE ( I'M 60 NOW). PM ME... what plug goen in the KLX ???
Yew we need more KLX 650 people here on ADV RIDER !!

translunar screwed with this post 10-15-2006 at 09:26 AM
translunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #80
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 816
tennessee checking in

i'm still here - red 95 C. i'll post a pic soon. anyone got a 39 or 40mm flat slide for sale?
dean
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #81
bfreehill
rally man

Oddometer: 24
my new light setup, duals baby...

2 hella 500's wired into the stock switch....
The better setup would be one driving beam one fog as the driving beams on these are fairly spot-ish.

bfreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #82
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaja
You can taka a look HERE (on line translator version here)

PS: i put also the kick starter without putting off the elettric one
I guess I didn't pay attention the first time I looked at your site about the KLX650c conversion and the translation needs translation. Is that a KTM fuel tank as well as the fairing you transplanted on the KLX?
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #83
Texas Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 1
noobie here too

I'm looking to get back on a bike after 25 (or so) years--if my wife and I can overcome her "concerns". Anyway, what is the life of the KLX 650 engine? The KLR folks say 100K on that engine should be reasonable--is the KLX in the same league?
Texas Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #84
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
itsatdm , the photos I looked at show him making a tank. amazing!

to get 100K out a single big bore ( w/o a rebuild?) may happen but its way outside the norm. also its depends on use, maintence etc....

the engines are similar in design but differ. longevity is probably close to the same,
Old 10-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #85
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaja
What tou think about the new Klx 450r??

I've got a 2003 Suzuki DR650 that's been a great bike, but like the KLR it's kind of a hog if you want to do true off-road riding. I've got a BMW RT for touring and a BMW 1150GS for Big Pig dualsporting and want a true enduro for the stable. So I've been shopping and have settled on either the KLX 450R or the Yamaha WR450F. Both are around 100 pounds lighter than my DR650 and are true competition enduro bikes. Since the Kawasaki dealer is about four blocks away I'm leaning in that direction. The nearest Yamaha dealer is 30 miles off, so that's not really a big issue. The Yamaha is supposed to be getting an aluminum frame for 2007 that they say will be a big improvement for weight and handling. The Yammie will be about $7,200 US in 2007. The KLX 450R should be available "sometime between May and July" according to my dealer. It will be a 2008 model and probably be around $7,400 US.

It will take about $150 in parts and some effort to make the KLX street legal so I can ride it from my house to the hills (needs a brake light & switch, horn & button, and left-side mirror to make it street legal). The other good news is that it comes with a 6 month warranty that you can extend to 3 years, not bad for a competition-oriented machine! They warned me, though, that riding it in even one race would void the warranty.... There should be good support from dealers and after-market for the 450, and hopefully they'll sell enough of them that they won't become "rare" like the KLX 650.

You guys have done a wonderful job of "keeping the love alive" with these bikes!

Doug
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #86
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
I've got a 2003 Suzuki DR650 that's been a great bike, but like the KLR it's kind of a hog if you want to do true off-road riding. I've got a BMW RT for touring and a BMW 1150GS for Big Pig dualsporting and want a true enduro for the stable. So I've been shopping and have settled on either the KLX 450R or the Yamaha WR450F. Both are around 100 pounds lighter than my DR650 and are true competition enduro bikes. Since the Kawasaki dealer is about four blocks away I'm leaning in that direction. The nearest Yamaha dealer is 30 miles off, so that's not really a big issue. The Yamaha is supposed to be getting an aluminum frame for 2007 that they say will be a big improvement for weight and handling. The Yammie will be about $7,200 US in 2007. The KLX 450R should be available "sometime between May and July" according to my dealer. It will be a 2008 model and probably be around $7,400 US.

It will take about $150 in parts and some effort to make the KLX street legal so I can ride it from my house to the hills (needs a brake light & switch, horn & button, and left-side mirror to make it street legal). The other good news is that it comes with a 6 month warranty that you can extend to 3 years, not bad for a competition-oriented machine! They warned me, though, that riding it in even one race would void the warranty.... There should be good support from dealers and after-market for the 450, and hopefully they'll sell enough of them that they won't become "rare" like the KLX 650.

You guys have done a wonderful job of "keeping the love alive" with these bikes!

Doug
I think that this new KLX series is going to make a new step froward for the "ready to race 450" I believe that kawa will be more durable than the others like in the past version at least I hope so
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #87
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
So I've been shopping and have settled on either the KLX 450R or the Yamaha WR450F. Both are around 100 pounds lighter than my DR650 and are true competition enduro bikes. Since the Kawasaki dealer is about four blocks away I'm leaning in that direction. The nearest Yamaha dealer is 30 miles off, so that's not really a big issue. The Yamaha is supposed to be getting an aluminum frame for 2007 that they say will be a big improvement for weight and handling. The Yammie will be about $7,200 US in 2007. The KLX 450R should be available "sometime between May and July" according to my dealer. It will be a 2008 model and probably be around $7,400 US.
Doug
Just read a test on the 2007 WR450F and 250 and they sound and look awesome. Of course the KLX450 is green and goes without saying it looks awesomer lol
Old 11-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #88
DrLost
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 36
Questions

I have been running my KLX quite a bit this fall and plan to again in the spring before I pull my VFR out of storage. A couple of things:

I have decided to live with the crumby small tank, any GOOD ideas about an auxiliary since I think the Acerbis thing is a lost cause?

Anyone running heated Grips and / or heated vest? It was in the upper 30's when I got home today and I was getting a bit chilly. What can the charging system on the KLX handle and are their any options for beefing up the charging system since I suspect it is going to be weak.

I'm currently running Metzler Karoos, they seem to be OK on the dirt and pavement but the rear locks up REALLY easily now and I'm concerned they will really suck in the wet. Anyone have any experience with these vs. the Conti TKC 80's? Any better stopping or in the wet?

Bark Busters Moose or Acerbis??? I really want big wind deflectors since I'm running this rig late and early in the season.

Need to replace my handle bars since mine are tweaked, any suggestions?

New chain is due this winter, any thoughts on a specific brand before I just go generic?

Thanks,

Dr. Lost
Old 11-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #89
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLost
I have decided to live with the crumby small tank, any GOOD ideas about an auxiliary since I think the Acerbis thing is a lost cause?

I've seen a mount for MSR camp fuel cans which seemed like a slick setup. Ive been thinking about raising my luggage rack enough to stick two cans under there.

Quote:
Anyone running heated Grips and / or heated vest? It was in the upper 30's when I got home today and I was getting a bit chilly. What can the charging system on the KLX handle and are their any options for beefing up the charging system since I suspect it is going to be weak.
I just put on some Elcheapo element-style handwarmers on my 95 klx650c. They work pretty well so far, However the throttle side gets DARN HOT on high. Other side isnt as bad... Most of the heat goes into the bar. I ended up fabricating a small plate that bolts to the handlebar clamp to mount the switch and resistor.

Quote:
Bark Busters Moose or Acerbis??? I really want big wind deflectors since I'm running this rig late and early in the season.
Quote:
Need to replace my handle bars since mine are tweaked, any suggestions?
I went with moose "CR high" bend steel bars and Moose gaurds. The gaurds took a little persuasion to fit, and the mounts still dented the front of the tank after a dump or two... But they were cheap You guys who spend 100 bucks on handlebars are freekin nuts
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #90
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Interesting bikes, had a buddy down in wichita that got one after he parted ways with his xrl. I ran across a comparison between the xrl, dr and klx, the article is at least 10 yrs old. It refers to the xrl being in it's 4th model year.
I may have ridden the Flint Hills last year with him. There is one parked behind my F650. We are stopped for a water break at Teeterville Rock, Ks.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote