Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 862
Henness Pass, Verdi, NV to Nevada City, CA

Hi

I am curious about this road. I tried to do the part west of Hwy 89 after the '49er rally but there was too much snow.

It runs from Verdi on I-80 to near Nevada City, CA depending on which branch you take.

I've got an R80G/S, and I am going to try to do this again either the 9th-10th of September, or the next weekend, after the Beemer BASH in Quincy.

Here is the Mapsource track...

henness.gpx

anyone tried this?

David
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
me and a buddy tried it last summer. we bit off too much for one day using written directions. too many wrong turns and exploring to finish in one day,gave up at webber lake near dark. we're trying again tomorrow with the gps. camping one night and fishing this time.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I've ridden it three or four times. Perfect for big bikes. There are a number of spurs running towards Downieville and Bassetts that are also very nice. The only part I don't like is the the section from 89 to Jackson Meadow is mostly all paved and pretty conjested on weekends. The rest is mostly dirt with some gravel, there are a couple of sections that get rocky, but still pretty easy. The road down to Downieville is a kick, steep with great traction. Go up and down the same way (Galloway Rd.), much better than looping around to Goodbar which is just a gravel road.

See Gold Lake Loop for some of the tracks I made in the area.

-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Thanks!

hee hee!

I want to try the whole damn thing, i have a gps with a big honking tank on the G/S, so can camp up there somewhere.

let me know how tomorrow goes, larry

yes, some of those sections are pretty steep!

since the top end was closed in June, I rode back down to Malakoff Diggins and went in that way. Pretty nice in there.

thanks again,

david
Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,432
David,

I've done Henness Pass Rd twice in the last 3 weekends. Its a kick. I got waypoints from a 4WD book and created a GPS route that saved me a lot of time trying to figure out where we were and which turn to take. It also bypasses most of the pavement between Jackson Meadow Resevoir and 89.

I also included two bonus routes near the eastern end of Henness which are more challenging than Henness Pass. Beacon Peak is a little harder. Smaller road, steeper, tighter turns, more rocks, but great views. Even more challenging is Verdi Peak, with even more rocks. Both are doable by a good GS rider. I did it on a VStrom 650.

Another pretty challenging road in the area I discovered last weekend is Meadow Lake Rd between Meadow Lake and Bowman Lake. According to my 4WD books it was suppose to be a fairly easy road (ala Henness) but apparently the FS or County didn't have the funds to maintain it this year so its only passable to jeepers, quads and bikes. There's lots of rocks and ruts from runoff, some ruts were 3' feet deep. We'd stop at a few sections wondering if they were going to be passable, walk them to scout and indeed they were all doable. It was quite an adventure. Got pics but haven't uploaded them yet.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx HennessPass.gpx (179.0 KB, 250 views)

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
letank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Another pretty challenging road in the area I discovered last weekend is Meadow Lake Rd between Meadow Lake and Bowman Lake. According to my 4WD books it was suppose to be a fairly easy road (ala Henness) but apparently the FS or County didn't have the funds to maintain it this year so its only passable to jeepers, quads and bikes. There's lots of rocks and ruts from runoff, some ruts were 3' feet deep
Just joined.... and given you updates

this meadow lake rd... has been totally hacked this spring w the excess runoff of fast melting snow. It used to be a nice road, a nice logging rd.

I need to figure out the gps conversion and will add some of the bypasses

Michel
80 DR400
letank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Henness open yet?

Quote:
David,

I've done Henness Pass Rd twice in the last 3 weekends. Its a kick. I got waypoints from a 4WD book and created a GPS route that saved me a lot of time trying to figure out where we were and which turn to take. It also bypasses most of the pavement between Jackson Meadow Resevoir and 89.
Anyone know if this is open? I am going to go attempt it Memorial Day (Monday) after the '49er rally in Auburn.

thanks,

Dave
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave
Anyone know if this is open? I am going to go attempt it Memorial Day (Monday) after the '49er rally in Auburn.
I keep checking the TNF site for updates. I'm planning (hoping) to do it the first weekend in June. My gut feel is that it will be open by then. Here are the links I am checking. Both still say there is snow.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recrea...th/roads.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/snowmelt.shtml

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Quote:
I keep checking the TNF site for updates. I'm planning (hoping) to do it the first weekend in June. My gut feel is that it will be open by then. Here are the links I am checking. Both still say there is snow.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recrea...th/roads.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/snowmelt.shtml
well, drat. I will keep looking at those sites too, thanks a bunch for them. Is packer lake the section west of 89? Not sure if the names up there. I tried coming that way last year, but snow stopped me near some lake.

david
Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Quote:
well, drat. I will keep looking at those sites too, thanks a bunch for them. Is packer lake the section west of 89? Not sure if the names up there. I tried coming that way last year, but snow stopped me near some lake.

david
No, the big lake west of 89 is Jackson Meadows Reservoir. The smaller lake between Jackson and 89 is Webber.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Quote:
Hi Joe

Even if it says the pass road is closed, I think I am going to zip over there on Monday for a looksee, Auburn is only 90 miles from Verdi...ride up and see how it looks.

Good luck in June!

David
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Quote:
Hi Joe

Even if it says the pass road is closed, I think I am going to zip over there on Monday for a looksee, Auburn is only 90 miles from Verdi...ride up and see how it looks.

Good luck in June!

David
Either PM me or update this thread with the results of your scouting report.

P.S. I've been enjoying everybody's reports on the SheetIron. Sounds like everybody had fun. I think I'm going to do it next year.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Quote:
Either PM me or update this thread with the results of your scouting report.

P.S. I've been enjoying everybody's reports on the SheetIron. Sounds like everybody had fun. I think I'm going to do it next year.
I will update you, never fear.

I know that Zues and I will try to get in the 2008 Sheetiron, she has to bum a bike, and then you need to actually get in the game, only 500 riders get to run it, and then the time off. She has a triple hurdle to jump there.

While at dinner in FB Creech said he wants to run it with his Ural rig, and asked who wanted to be his sidecar monkey...everyone pointed at me!

of course I said yes, so that might be a real treat. Otherwise, the G/S again.

David
Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #14
Mendodave OP
Road Scholar

Henness Pass

Hi Joe

I didn't make it up there, the GS ride out of the '49er Rally went right by the hwy 89 part, some people went up as far as they could go but it was blocked by snow. I had an unplanned dismount in a railroad tunnel, didn't see the three inch thick ice sheet...wham! that was fine, only busted a turnsignal stalk and a plastic handguard, but 20 minutes later I got a rear flat. Naturally I was running light and left the tools, pump, spare tube, patches, etc back at the rally. Super Dave, of Mags Bags, had a 21" tube I stuffed in there, but I didn't feel like taking a chance all solo up Henness....

Let me know what the Verdi side looks like, I am going to do that this summer.

Dave
Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Dave,

I got a scouting report from a friend who went up there last weekend and said the snow was passable and he made it through.

I just called the ranger station and they said it was open, so I am going for it this weekend.