Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Suncoast OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Any Tips for setting up a GSXR 750/1000 for weeklong touring?

Most of my riding is short jaunts back and forth to work and then weekend runs of up to 200 miles a day with the odd week long trip in the summer, lately I've been looking at maybe picking up a 2008+ GSXR 750 or 1000, the back and forth to work and weekend runs would be great on a nimble sports bike but for the odd weekend trip in the summer other than throw over bags are there any other mods that owners have done? Comfort wise? The other bike I've been considering is the Ninja 1000 but I'm not sure it's in my price range...Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 183
"First gen" N1K would be a better fit for what you are wanting. I've seen non-ABS version go for about what you would pay for a roughly equivalent gixxer.

Gixxer 1000 or 750 would work if you longest day ride is 200 miles or less. Biggest difference, other than the obvious ergos between the two, is the gixxer's lack of provisions for hard bags. If you don't ever get into those, then it's not as big a deal.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
If you're wanting to make an 08 more comfortable, I would look into an LSL superbike bar kit and then MVA vario foot pegs, Spiegler sells the bar kit, and Twisted Throttle sells the pegs, there is another brand of pegs Cycle Pirates, I think, then it should be more comfortable, I have an 05 750, it has been my track mule for about 7 years, I'm looking to set it up this way. As far as model years go, if I was buying, 750 an 05 or newer, 1000 an 03 or newer, the 05/06 1000 has the best midrange power. The bar kits are pricey, the pegs kits are close to $200, so you're looking at about 700-800 to get the bike more comfortable, but it's better than being cramped up for a week on a sport bike.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Sit ups.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 231
The Best Sport Tourer I Ever Saw

Was an early Gixxer 750 with high bars, low pegs, and Vetter soft luggage. The best of both worlds. Mtneer is giving you some good advice.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
VicRattlehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Sit ups.

This may sound strange but there's definitely some truth here. Sportbikes are far less forgiving of poor core strength and general 'unhealthiness' than other bikes.
As I've gotten older and 'softer' I've noticed I'm not nearly as comfortable on sportbikes as I used to be. Since I've pick up running as a means to lose a few lbs and get in a little better shape I'm noticing my comfort level on sporty bikes is improving as well. I seem to be able to go longer and longer without feeling those aches/pains. Back when I was in decent shape I had no problems doing 12+ hrs on a supersport.

Other than that, you'll most likely need bar risers (Helibars for a little better reach or a bar conversion if you need a more drastic change), dropped pegs and some luggage of some sort. Be prepared to spend a little cash making the supersport a 'super sport-tour'.
VicRattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Quote:
Sit ups.
And ibuprofen

Oh, youth would be good, too. Any idea where I can buy that?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Sit ups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
And ibuprofen

Oh, youth would be good, too. Any idea where I can buy that?
... yup under 30-35 years old helps
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Hey, I'm not making fun of the guys who do this.

I only wish I was young again so I COULD do this.

More power to the youngsters.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical c View Post
sit ups.
+2

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
hoax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I've got an LSL kit on my 03 GSXR 1000.

As far as comfort goes, it's the best thing you could do to a sport bike. They are a bit pricey but when you see the parts you'll understand where that money went. However, wind blast has increased significantly.
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Bad Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
On my previous 06 GSXR 1000 I'd put on some peg lowering plates......and that was it. On my current '11 GSXR 1000, I moved the pegs to there lowest , furthest back position, and after a 1200 mile 3 day trip I ordered a set of Heli Bars for it. I run the ventura luggage setup and with the big twin bag setup and a Marsee MR. Pockets 35l mag. tank bag I can take all my gear and camping supplies for a 14 day trip. First day mileages usually run from 450 to 700. Then most other days under 300-350.

And the 06 set up for a two week trip.

A solo trip, Phil usually takes my lawn chair!

Picking up supplies.

As far as being young to do this, I'm 51...so still pretty young.

Bad Dad screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 10:43 AM
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I know a couple of peoples that have toured down Europe for 2+ weeks on GSXR`s and other RR bikes, one of them is a woman right above 40

The thing is that we are all different, som have no problem som can't stand 1 mile. If you want a GSXR id say go for it.
As mentioned peg lowers and bar raisers can do a lot and a Airhawk seat.

Alternativly you can take a look a Triumph Sprint ST1050, not as powerful as the 750 and N1K but a lot nicer sound and you get original luggage.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post

Gixxer 1000 or 750 would work if you longest day ride is 200 miles or less. Biggest difference, other than the obvious ergos between the two, is the gixxer's lack of provisions for hard bags. If you don't ever get into those, then it's not as big a deal.

tell that to the ironbutt guys doing it on 50cc scooters. jesus, you can tour on anything, for as long as you can stand. only you know your limitations.

in the vein of the original question, a long time ago i did a weeklong trip on my old r6, i made my own luggage standoffs out of copper plumbing tubing, soldered together and then wrapped in black electrical tape. yes, i was (is) a moron, but more importantly it worked just fine.

(pardon my friend's nuts, look to the right and you can see the framework)

you could just put softbags against your bodywork, but risk cracking it if you strap it down tight. or, just put some easy to remove barrier between your bodywork and luggage. i never had good luck with that, always seemed to rub through.

my next sportbike was a z1000, i updated my plan and made the same sort of framework, this time out of small diameter steel square, welded and bent.

you don't need hardbags to go for a week, and you can most definitely ride more than the magical 200 miles a day, on whatever you choose
Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,683
i've also got pics (haven't scanned yet) of touring for a week on a 1989 honda vtr250 with a tank bag and a duffel strapped to the back seat. pack light