ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #1
alekkas OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alekkas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Far West Chicago Burbs
Oddometer: 356
Straight up Longevity - Zook 1250 or Triumph 1050

Obviously different price points, but I'm down to a Bandit 1250 with just under 1K miles and a Sprint GT with just over 1K.

When it comes to longevity - like 50K miles or more, which motor / bike gives me the best chance to get there cheaply?

I guess the zook would be regular gas / trumpet is supreme? Both chain. etc ....

Any experience welcome. I have ridden both. Like them both. Obviously, one is cheaper.
__________________
Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #2
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 122
I'd say you can go with either.

50k miles is nothing for these kind of bikes. I'd be more worried about the wheelie habbit of the 1050
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #3
alekkas OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alekkas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Far West Chicago Burbs
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I'd say you can go with either.

50k miles is nothing for these kind of bikes. I'd be more worried about the wheelie habbit of the 1050
Surprise surprise, the GT I wheelied on purpose. But the Bandit had me wheelie twice unintentionally! Lotso torque.

Maybe the question should be which one will get me to 70K cheaper. Like do the 2011 Triumph still have some of the electrical issues older ones did? DO any of these motors have cam chain issues? Cam chain adjuster issues? I know they don't have doohickey issues, but that type of thing? etc ....
__________________
Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #4
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: sarasota, fl
Oddometer: 230
I lean toward the 1250.
Great engine and many are out there with a lot of miles.
Good aftermarket for stuff from bags to bars, and more.
The way it pulls from 2500 and up will make you smile every time.
__________________
keep your word, no excuses
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #5
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Surprise surprise, the GT I wheelied on purpose. But the Bandit had me wheelie twice unintentionally! Lotso torque.

Maybe the question should be which one will get me to 70K cheaper. Like do the 2011 Triumph still have some of the electrical issues older ones did? DO any of these motors have cam chain issues? Cam chain adjuster issues? I know they don't have doohickey issues, but that type of thing? etc ....
My 955i Speed Triple has had 0 electrical issues other than shit like the key cylinder wearing out from use and lightbulbs blowing out.

At 120,000 miles its got 100,000 on the motor and the only age related repairs have been vaccuum hoses dry rotting
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #6
T
Yippee Ki Yay
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
I lean toward the 1250.
Great engine and many are out there with a lot of miles.
Good aftermarket for stuff from bags to bars, and more.
The way it pulls from 2500 and up will make you smile every time.
+1 and add a reliability factor for the Bandit (BTW: I've had 3 zuks and two trumpets)

__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #7
dmdbit
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 6
bandit

I have an 07 1250. I bought it 5 years ago with 4k miles. It just rolled 78k this past week. Tires, chains, brakes, and oil changes. Still has the original battery. Oh and the low beam went out once. Sorry I do not have experience with the triumph.
dmdbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014