Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #496
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I'm not familiar with thr K&C seat, tell me more please.

Regards, Paul
"King & Queen"

http://burtonbikebits.net/images/bon...ueen%20003.jpg
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #497
BDKrivit
Kriv

Oddometer: 82
King & Queen seat

I have the Triumph version of the K&Q: http://www.british-customs.com/produ...roductid=18114

I bought it for last week's 2,200 miler through the great American biking roads and it was fantastic even on 10 hour days.
2013 Nutmeg 400
2014 Nutmeg 400
BDKrivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #498
LeeMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

I have the Triumph version of the King & Queen seat for my 2009 T100 and while I like the seat - it's just to low for my 6' 1" frame and I need more leg room. I was wondering if the British Bike Bits K&Q was taller but I can't find that seat as you have it pictured in your link - or any dimensions of it?
LeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #499
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBonnie View Post
I think they came out with that color in 2006,as far as I know they never came with stainless fenders they all came painted.
I just found a 2007 with the colors I want. It's a low mileage beauty. Now I need to sell something.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #500
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
check this beauty:

y
Great looking machine. Details please.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #501
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Can anyone share their experiences with a bonnie running heidenau K60s? I'm thinking about 'scramblerizing' a bonneville so it's a bit more dirt road friendly.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #502
Se7en
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Running Tourence's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
Can anyone share their experiences with a bonnie running heidenau K60s? I'm thinking about 'scramblerizing' a bonneville so it's a bit more dirt road friendly.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
I have been running Metzler Tourence tires on my Bonnie for 2-3 years now, love it. I think the Bonneville is a great all around bike, dirt roads are no problem.

photos of my set up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3140898...7627707473966/
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #503
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Thanks for the photo link. The tourances look great. The road types in your photos are what I am thinking too so it's good to know the bonneville does them just fine with the right rubber. I've sat on so many types of dual sports that it gets overwhelming. However, being short means I don't feel as confident keeping it up right with my tip toes on very uneven surfaces. It's funny but the old '79 fits me fine but is just a bit underpowered. The T100 has the same feel and nostalgic look, is just a bit bigger, and a bunch more power. Making it a 'dual sport' per se feels like the right thing to do.

Thanks again...

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #504
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 291

Rocking some Michelins on mine. I like em, but they can make the ride a tad rough during deceleration.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #505
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Super long warm up time?

So when I first rode my 2001 (bone stock) after I bought it, it took forever to warm up, and still had crappy throttle response on my short test ride (4 miles or so in 50-55F temps). I thought no way can these bikes run this poorly from the factory. Took the carbs apart to clean out the suspected pilot jets, the bowls did have a good amount of silt on the bottom but all the jets were fairly clean. Cleaned every orifice and jet just on principle and put it all back together. Went for a short test ride (pretty cool temp no more than 55F), runs just like it did when I got it, that is to say, poorly. I still can't believe they tuned it this lean from the factory!! Can anyone else with a carb'd bonneville chime in? I was planning on rejetting anways but I want to confirm that there isn't something wrong with my bike. Never been monkeyed with before, just 3k miles on it (did a lot of sitting, hence the crud in the bowls). I'm going to take it on a proper ride where it can really warm up tomorrow after I register it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #506
BDKrivit
Kriv

Oddometer: 82
I've never had a warmup issue and I ride year round; 1-2 min w/ the choke out a drop, never more than 1/3 out, before riding and then within a mile I am approaching the 200F mark (I have the NB temp gauge/oil cap).

Since you cleaned the carbs, what about changing the filters and fluids? Old gas get in if it sat so long, or water/condensation in the tank? Headers/cans had crud inside? A mouse once built a nest in a friend's dashboard in storage. Just rattling off the usual suspects-

FWIW- the DynoJet kit for about $85 is what I used for my 2008 Bonneville's rejetting.
2013 Nutmeg 400
2014 Nutmeg 400
BDKrivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #507
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKrivit View Post
I've never had a warmup issue and I ride year round; 1-2 min w/ the choke out a drop, never more than 1/3 out, before riding and then within a mile I am approaching the 200F mark (I have the NB temp gauge/oil cap).

Since you cleaned the carbs, what about changing the filters and fluids? Old gas get in if it sat so long, or water/condensation in the tank? Headers/cans had crud inside? A mouse once built a nest in a friend's dashboard in storage. Just rattling off the usual suspects-

FWIW- the DynoJet kit for about $85 is what I used for my 2008 Bonneville's rejetting.
I'm gonna check the air filter next, there was evidence of a rodent in the battery tray (pieces of nuts etc)... so I could totally see a mouse getting in through the snorkel.

Does the air injection have any effect on jetting and/or warmup times? I want to remove it mostly to prevent further bluing of the header.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #508
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS View Post
I'm gonna check the air filter next, there was evidence of a rodent in the battery tray (pieces of nuts etc)... so I could totally see a mouse getting in through the snorkel.

Does the air injection have any effect on jetting and/or warmup times? I want to remove it mostly to prevent further bluing of the header.

So to follow up..

Airbox had a puddle of gas in it and had soaked the filter. Now I can't confirm that this only happened after my cleaning of the carbs, but with the filter out (removed with a foam sponge to simulate a clean dy filter), the bike has MUCH better throttle response. I think the float needle was sticking at some point, gas soaked the filter and strangled the air intake, killing throttle response. I had the same bad throttle response when I first got the bike before touching the carbs, so I suspect this was the issue before, not a new one that cropped up after the cleaning and reassembly.

So I pulled the float bowls, took the floats off (they are both whole, no cracks or punctures), and cleaned out the needle orifice, put everything back together, and checked that the floats stop the gas by turning on the petcock and holding the floats up. They hold back the gas just fine. Put it all back together and parked the bike with the fuel tap ON and paper towel pieces in the bottom of the airbox to see if any gas comes in again. Also checked the crankcase breather hose, thankfully no signs of gasoline there!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #509
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

So after thorough reading of Triumphrat's tens of 'cold start problems' threads, I'm finally convinced that this is par for the course for these bikes. Now I have to figure out how I caused it to start flooding the airbox after yesterdays carb teardown

Does rejetting and removing AI along with turning the pilot screw out a bit more help these bikes start and idle in the cold?

One more question: what's the thin black vacuum hose that connects from the upper outward side of the left carb to the inner lower side of the righthand carb? What does it do?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #510
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 614
No cold starting or warm up problems with my bike. choke always off after the helmet and gloves are put on and ride it away. 2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture screws. Air injection shouldn't effect warm up. Type of fuel like E10 ect can make differences though. Run mine on regular octane unleaded (no ethanol)

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote