Oddometer: 5,308
Holy neked ruckus ridin !!!!!!!

Gusgus screwed with this post 09-11-2006 at 09:52 AM Reason: neked sticker
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:23 AM   #78
bdearlove
Well Hung

Oddometer: 125
That picture is what probably killed the Big Ruckus.

Lets hope he burned the seat!

bdearlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #79
Jtwo
Jtwo

Oddometer: 62
Get something out of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
45mph on a scooter will kill you just as dead as 45mph on a motorcycle.

Same injuries. Same skin grafts. Same broken bones. The risks are NO DIFFERENT. How does having a step-through frame mitigate the physics?

This site and much of this particular forum is made up of experienced all-weather year-round riders. Not casual weekenders. Your attitude shows that you are inexperienced, which is fine, but you insist on trying to tell people here something that is dead wrong, which is why you're getting batted about in this thread. If you do not think you need protective gear because it is a scooter and therefore immune to accidents, your inexperience is showing. If you CHOOSE to ride without gear because you are comfortable with your risk assessment, that's another thing. But I and others can tell from your statements that you have zero sense of the risks involved in riding. If you want to argue informed or uninformed choice, fine, jump into the ABATE threads. But I don't think you'll find any support anywhere on this site for the position of "it's just a scooter so I don't need protective gear because it complicates the fun".
Wisdom gained from experience dictates that all is a matter of "agree to a degree." I am comfortable with my risk assessment. I will always wear my hat, not because a law says I have to, but because it MAY help to a certain DEGREE. I may even wear some armor, when it gets cool enough here in Mayberry to be comfortable wearing it, but again ... it's more of a feel good thing. Somebody pulls out in front of me, and I am probably going to die. Or as my friend, the cop, says ... he will pick up my Snell-approved helmet about 20 yards from the point of impact ... with my head still in it. I have seen that. I still ride. I am not going to ride anymore if I don't like it. I aint going to like it if I have to ride all trussed up in some kind of armored suit. I have done the gravel crawl. It hurt, but I am not going to take away all the beauty of riding. I do not expect to exit this life with a perfectly preserved, well-dieted, socially-accepted body. I expect to slide into the after life in a well-worn frame that has taken everything I could throw at it ... with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other ... yelling OH, HELL YES! WHAT A RIDE! DAMNED GLAD I TOOK IT!
J2
Jtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #80
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtwo
Wisdom gained from experience dictates that all is a matter of "agree to a degree." I am comfortable with my risk assessment. I will always wear my hat, not because a law says I have to, but because it MAY help to a certain DEGREE. I may even wear some armor, when it gets cool enough here in Mayberry to be comfortable wearing it, but again ... it's more of a feel good thing. Somebody pulls out in front of me, and I am probably going to die. Or as my friend, the cop, says ... he will pick up my Snell-approved helmet about 20 yards from the point of impact ... with my head still in it. I have seen that. I still ride. I am not going to ride anymore if I don't like it. I aint going to like it if I have to ride all trussed up in some kind of armored suit. I have done the gravel crawl. It hurt, but I am not going to take away all the beauty of riding. I do not expect to exit this life with a perfectly preserved, well-dieted, socially-accepted body. I expect to slide into the after life in a well-worn frame that has taken everything I could throw at it ... with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other ... yelling OH, HELL YES! WHAT A RIDE! DAMNED GLAD I TOOK IT!
J2

Death is no big deal. You want your wife to feed you while you relearn the alphabet and the insurance companies take the house? The maimings are what sucks, as are the money issues that goe with 'em. Take a look at DaleB, Meathead, Wings, MikeO...the list goes on...guys who were doing it all the right way and got nailed.

Do what you want. I offer suggestions of training and gear once, maybe twice to people. If they don't want 'em, fine with me.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #81
Jtwo
Jtwo

armor

If you get nailed hard enough to be maimed, leather chaps, elbow pads, not even spine braces are going to help you. You are going to be maimed. I don't think that riders should approach what we do with any false sense of security. You make the decision to ride. You make the decision to face the consequences. You want to play? You gotta pay (assume the risk). My wife knows that. When my kids were young and needed me, I sold my bike. They are grown now, and I love to lean on the wind. Now, I know that you are passionate about this, and I am NOT advocating stupidity. I say each rider should take whatever precautions he/she considers prudent. I suppose I could add a roll cage to my scooter, or I could play it safe and stop riding altogether. Some people jump out of perfectly good aircraft. Some people live more in one day than others do in 50 years. (I prefer to stay on the ground, for the most part.) Some day, I may be picking gravel out of my butt and saying ... I wish I had been wearing leathers. It has happened before, but what I do is worth that risk. As to the risk of death or becoming maimed, that is always with us.

Now, I do believe that those who have never ridden before should be required to learn some things about traveling on two wheels. Yes, for those who hate guv ment requirements, I did say "required." We are all free to do what we want as long as it does not infringe on the freedom of others. Two of the four wrecks I have experienced were due to idiots who had accidents right in front of me. That infringes on me ... big time. People who don't have any idea what they are doing put everyone on the road in danger. I have held my motorcycle endorsement for over 40 years. I don't know whether or not I am going to go back to school to learn how to ride all over again, but I am always interested in new skills.

J2
Old 09-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #82
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

I think it would be good for you to take the BRC. After years of studying what kills motorcyclists, they've figured out how to focus on a few key skills as a very basic skills platform that can built upon. The ERC gives more street survival skills, and beyond that there is a local outfit called MotoMark1; they are introducing the UK methods for training here in the US, where you ride with an instructor who watches and critiques. I took the Precision Maneuvering School from MotoMark and it changed my riding, and I already had 325,000+ miles under my belt when I took the course. I sincerely believe it saved our life one afternoon. I'm not sure that, even with the years, miles, and track time, I would've known how to get out of the jam I was in unless I'd had someone drill some things into my head that were above and beyond what I thought I knew.

As I've said before in this thread, if someone makes an informed choice to ride with less-than-ATGATT I'm not gonna argue. I ride in t-shirt and jeans on the scoot plenty often. Where I get rankled is when a n00b hasn't had any choices laid out in front of them or training...or a re-entry rider is making decisions based on old attitudes and traffic density. I'm just tired of seeing the preventable carnage. It's bad enough when we do everything right and some dumbass plows into us.

After DaleB's accident I don't ride w/o the spine protector. Even on the scoot.

Go lurk in Face Plant. Plenty of interesting stuff there. MikeO certainly has the current record for the most technicolor limbs.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #83
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Thanks for the link, Photog!

That school looks great. I'm always looking to take some sort of rider training at least once per year. Both thier precision school and the advanced dirt schools look like ones I'lll be taking in the near future...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #84
Jtwo
Jtwo

choices

Quote:
I think it would be good for you to take the BRC. After years of studying what kills motorcyclists, they've figured out how to focus on a few key skills as a very basic skills platform that can built upon. The ERC gives more street survival skills, and beyond that there is a local outfit called MotoMark1; they are introducing the UK methods for training here in the US, where you ride with an instructor who watches and critiques. I took the Precision Maneuvering School from MotoMark and it changed my riding, and I already had 325,000+ miles under my belt when I took the course. I sincerely believe it saved our life one afternoon. I'm not sure that, even with the years, miles, and track time, I would've known how to get out of the jam I was in unless I'd had someone drill some things into my head that were above and beyond what I thought I knew.

As I've said before in this thread, if someone makes an informed choice to ride with less-than-ATGATT I'm not gonna argue. I ride in t-shirt and jeans on the scoot plenty often. Where I get rankled is when a n00b hasn't had any choices laid out in front of them or training...or a re-entry rider is making decisions based on old attitudes and traffic density. I'm just tired of seeing the preventable carnage. It's bad enough when we do everything right and some dumbass plows into us.

After DaleB's accident I don't ride w/o the spine protector. Even on the scoot.

Go lurk in Face Plant. Plenty of interesting stuff there. MikeO certainly has the current record for the most technicolor limbs.
Definitely good advice. I will take a look at it. Probably would enjoy it ... any excuse to ride. Could be more interested if instructors are female and hold on reeel tight!
Got my eye out for one of those light-weight, flow through jackets like you have, Photog, with the spine protector, elbow pads, etc. Weather has moderated enough to wear it, although in winter I ride in my insulated coveralls. Not sure the armor will go on over that. I commute 25 minutes to work and back everyday that we don't have serious rain storms.
I am getting side marker lights installed on the Kymco BW at my next warranty check. These will go in the dummy sockets already designed into the fairing. I also remember years ago wearing an arm light. That was originally designed for boating, but it helps to keep lane changers from pulling over on you. I was once forced off the road that way. I have seen some newer arm lights in Lowes up by the check out ... simple LED's in a velcro band.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 AM   #85
SpoonKiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
45mph on a scooter will kill you just as dead as 45mph on a motorcycle.

Same injuries. Same skin grafts. Same broken bones. The risks are NO DIFFERENT. How does having a step-through frame mitigate the physics?
This is by far the hardest thing to get through to new scooter riders. Most of them end up learning it the hard way.
Elite 250 - MP3 250
SpoonKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:47 AM   #86
magli
knaetsch

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfrog
whats wrong...never rode outside the city limits?

Oh Yeah, Scooter Queen has arrived, minion!

All those with a 250cc and below please sign up....
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say with this... but if you think that the fact that your scooter is close to 400cc's makes it more of a motorcycle than something like a KX250, or a RS250, that is just ridiculous.

Engine displacement does not represent power. Your burgman has 23.5kW of power. A RS250 has over 50kW of power (in addition to being over 40kg lighter then your scooter.)

You seem to be implying that smaller engines, 50cc's in particular, are holding up traffic. This is also ridiculous. The problem is not the scooter, it is some of the people riding them. My first bike, an Aprilia RX50 (street legal at 14 here in Italy) had a 12HP engine with 6 gears and weighed less than 90kg. I bet it would give your scooter a run for it's money on anything but highways or long straightways (top speed was only 100km/60mph.. which, I believe, is faster than most US speed limits anyway, so I would not really be holding up traffic unless everyone was speeding).
magli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #87
magli
knaetsch

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfrog
As for riding a scooter as "Scooter-trash" well that is what they were designed for. Riding to merely have fun.
This is bullshit. Although the very first scooters can be traced back to the US, it was clearly the Italian vespa's and lambretta's which popularised the scooter, and laid the foundations for the modern scooters. These were designed to provide low-cost transport to a post WW2 Italy, using aircraft materials. They were not designed for "fun", and most of them still are not designed for fun. They are designed to be convenient/cheap transportation for the urban or high-traffic areas.

Yours may be different.. but yours is not a typical scooter.
magli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #88
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by magli
This is bullshit. Although the very first scooters can be traced back to the US, it was clearly the Italian vespa's and lambretta's which popularised the scooter, and laid the foundations for the modern scooters. These were designed to provide low-cost transport to a post WW2 Italy, using aircraft materials. They were not designed for "fun", and most of them still are not designed for fun. They are designed to be convenient/cheap transportation for the urban or high-traffic areas.

Yours may be different.. but yours is not a typical scooter.
Those Vespas got people moving again in post-war europe. IMHO they are really admirable designs to combine aesthetics and daily-driver capability. Beautiful bits of utilitarian practicality. I love darn near anything with a motor and wheels, but I have a special fondness for what the scoots (several marques) did in Europe during that period.

These are from Whatton's collection--these are of his family. The first one is his dad, second one is mom/dad.

One of my faves:

/hijack

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #89
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
That last one is for sale in the Texas auction next month...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #90
Ngorongoro
boon

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Hi Mr. Super Mod:

+1.

Do you have a link to the auction?

That set up is too cool for school.

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T. E. Lawrence
Ngorongoro is offline   Reply With Quote