User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
dbern OP
outsider

Oddometer: 91
2013 KTM 690 enduro r new stall issue

Hey folks... I have been looking around a bunch and have seen many issues that are causing stalling issues but none that I see match mine so hoping for some help. If nothing else please send me in the right direction....

The issue: So 13 completely stock 690 just did 600 mile oil change. All seemed great. Went for a ride yesterday on some rough WV stuff which means many creek crossings some low speed blipping to jump ruts etc... She stalled on me 3 times. As soon as it stalls I hit the start button and it will not start. I then turn the kill switch off then on and can hear the fuel pump running. Hit the starter again and if fires right up. Runs strong until it did it again twice more. Then it did not happen again in the next 100 miles of the ride yesterday...

Just got it and paid a lot for it not psyched to have a bike that I can not be confident in to go out in the woods by myself...
dbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,534
I had this problem on my first 690. Turned out to be dirty contacts in the kill switch... opened up cleaned it out... no more problem
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
dbern OP
outsider

thanks.... I will start there....
Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
dbern OP
outsider

Ok well after a few flawless days of riding the 690 it did it again. I went for a 150 mile ride yesterday. The bike ran great all day. We stopped at a eatery and got some dinner and after that, about 20 minutes after getting back on it the bike started to backfire upon decel and then just died. Same deal as before, stop turn off the kill switch then back on and it starts. It did this about 4 times. Made it home but not really psyched about a 10k bike that can't do better!!!!

Could this be related to battery? I notice that it has a bit of an issue when I start it kinda lugs. I have a montana 650 on a ram mount hooked direct...

please help a brother out....
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
FrankBkk
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have a 2012 model and had the same problem in the early days although with me it would suddenly stall in the first 15 minutes of the ride but immy fire up when stated, did not need to play with kill switch.
I have now done 11000 km and its hardly happening anymore so have never bothered to investigate further.
Check with your KTM dealer if there have been ecu software updates which could help.
My bike never let me down otherwise.
FrankBkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,068
My 2012 did that during the first 1500 miles or so. An inmate told me to do the throttle twist reset. As I recall, you shut off the bike with the key. Then turn the key on and with the motor stopped, you slowly twist the throttle to the stop and back. Then turn the key off. After that start and test.

Mine will occasionally pop and stall if I am at a stop with the clutch in and blip the throttle. I try not to do that anymore.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
dbern OP
outsider

I was speaking with someone and they seemed to think it was due to the fuel pump seizing from the heat then pressure in the tank from the exhaust getting so hot. Then when I turn the bike on then off it releases... What do we all think of this?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I had a stalling problem on my 690 recently. I thought it was related to the fuel injection system but it turned out to be the ignition coil wire was loosening from the spark plug cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
dbern OP
outsider

[QUOTE=Ddgfarm;24416047]I had a stalling problem on my 690 recently. I thought it was related to the fuel injection system but it turned out to be the ignition coil wire was loosening from the spark plug cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

How did you figure that out? get in there and start wiggling the wires around??
Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
[QUOTE=dbern;24416255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddgfarm View Post
I had a stalling problem on my 690 recently. I thought it was related to the fuel injection system but it turned out to be the ignition coil wire was loosening from the spark plug cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

How did you figure that out? get in there and start wiggling the wires around??

Yes, I pulled the sparkplug cap off and gave a slight tug to the wire and it pulled right out. I was also advised to check the resistance if the cap. It should be around 5 ohm. Might want to check all the frame grounds too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
dbern OP
outsider

Ok so I have a new theory.
I have not had any stalling issues at all since I took of my GPS charging system. It was wired direct to the battery. It was a RAM mount with a Garmin Montana 600. It seemed that the GPS would start turning on and off and then would turn off. Soon after the bike would stall. So would weakening the battery just a little put a glich in the FI system??? I want to hook the GPS back up so i can ride with it but don't want to mess the bike up...

what do you think??
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 721
The 690 should have enough spare amps to run a GPS without issues. I added a good quality volt meter beside the speedometer so I can monitor voltage when I run accessories. I never see below 14v even with heated grips on.

If your voltage is dropping below 12v at idle it could cause the stall... and indicate a problem with your charging system.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
MTK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbern View Post
Ok so I have a new theory.
I have not had any stalling issues at all since I took of my GPS charging system. It was wired direct to the battery. It was a RAM mount with a Garmin Montana 600. It seemed that the GPS would start turning on and off and then would turn off. Soon after the bike would stall. So would weakening the battery just a little put a glich in the FI system??? I want to hook the GPS back up so i can ride with it but don't want to mess the bike up...

what do you think??
Interesting theory, my 990 started stalling just prior to my battery going. Check your battery maybe a weak cell?
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote