User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
McMongo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wr250r in the Sand

Ok, I'm a rookie riding in sand, today I went out and hit some trails that had Alot of Deep Sugar Sand and It was a hand full! Even cruising in second at 25-30mph under even throttle I'd get all bent out of shape. My WRR is on the Original Bridgestone tires, would something like a Pirelli MT-21 or scorpion on the front help? Or do I just need to improve my skill sets? Any pointers would be Appreciated, Thanks!
McMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
reduce rear rider sag, stay back on the bike so front can float. No experience with a 250 in the sand, but the more power you have, the easier it is.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,394
6-8psi in the tires will help, any tires.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
johnno
johnno

Oddometer: 52
drop your tire pressures, the lower the better 10psi is good. (use rim locks) keep the weight off the front, try & keep accelerating through the rough sections, don't worry about the rear wheel just steer the front. have fun, you will come off but practice makes perfect. my wr250r is just fine in the sand & heaps easier to pick up when you drop it
johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
McMongo OP
Adventurer

Right now I'm running 18psi in both front and rear. I'm going to put new tires on in the near future, my rear is about spent. I'm thinking a 606 rear with a Mt-21 or Scorpion pro front. I'm around 50/50 rider, there's just a lot of soft sand where I live now, back in Texas I never really ran in sandy trails.
So put rim locks on, and lower tire pressure.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMongo View Post
Ok, I'm a rookie riding in sand, today I went out and hit some trails that had a lot of Deep Sugar Sand and It was a hand full! Even cruising in second at 25-30mph under even throttle I'd get all bent out of shape. My WRR is on the Original Bridgestone tires, would something like a Pirelli MT-21 or scorpion on the front help? Or do I just need to improve my skill sets? Any pointers would be Appreciated, Thanks!
I've read a bunch of good stuff from Jimmy Lewis who is a highly regarded teacher and great rider. His advice? Use good knobby tires, don't air down so low you get a pinch flat and stay balanced on the bike. I'll add practice, practice and more practice! Here is his advice for big bikes:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/28...e-in-the-sand/

No, the MT-21 is not a good sand knobby. I use Michelin S12XC on the front and M12XC on the back of my KTM while riding deep sugar sand here on the BIG sandbar. They do not wear out in a few trips and I can rail pretty good through turns on the street. As long as you keep it smooth when on pavement, you won't wear them out overnight. I run street pressures off road, because of Jimmy's advice and because I personally know other great sand riders who do the same. FWIW, I've spent about a year trying to learn how to enjoy the stuff and my journey is not complete. Give it time and take it slow, unless you like buying bike parts and paying Doctors.

nevermind screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 05:20 PM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,846
After you get some experience, you won't even need to air down your tires for quick jaunts if you're doing daily 75/25ish riding. The sand does feel like ice at speed with street pressure I love riding in the sand. I air down when I spend more than 20 minutes offroad or if I plan on riding hard.
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
WR250r in sand gearing matters

The WRr with the high rev'ing motor it has works best with lower gearing than stock. This holds true for sand.

Keep your weight back, and don't fight the front end, it's going to wander some, look far ahead, looking down will make things far worse. A lot has already been said about psi etc... Practice helps a lot (I never drop my tires below 12 psi)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
McMongo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

Funny, my last DS was a 84 XL600! Just got back into riding this last Spring after a 19 Years!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 5,013
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
I'm good--but I ain't no Dingweeds
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 953
Watch ¨Dust to Glory¨ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386423/) to see how the experts do it. Obviously, you likely will never be able to ride like these guys, but this is something to learn from and aspire to.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
McMongo OP
Adventurer

Thank everybody for their tips, going to find me a spot that I can get some practice in. Wish me luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMongo View Post
Thank everybody for their tips, going to find me a spot that I can get some practice in. Wish me luck!
On the pegs, not the seat, and on the gas.Steer with your feet (weighting the footpegs), not the bars.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,882
I grew up riding in soft sand in Northern Michigan. Brought my WRR up there a couple years ago. It was awful. My KLR even did better in the sand because even though it was heavier, at least something happened when you turned the throttle. It's very difficult to get the WRR up on top of the sand and even harder to keep it up there. The weight, the way a 4 stroke makes power, and the lack thereof on the WRR all work against you.

Keep in mind, I'm 43 years old and have been riding soft sand since I was 10 years old, so I have picked up a thing or two about keeping a bike going in the soft stuff. The WRR just isn't very good at it. It'll do it if you know what you're doing, but there are much better machines to pick from if most of your riding will be in sand.

The best thing for sand? A light weight, big-bore 2 stroke . . . or a TW200

I try to avoid sand as much as possible when I'm on my WRR, and I've been riding in the stuff my whole life. There is just no easy way to tackle the stuff on that bike.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #15
McMongo OP
Adventurer

Spooned on new tires, Kenda Trekmaster II Rear, and perilli scorpion XCMS Front! Now I'll have no excuse when I sux in the sand!!!