Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1516
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The spring still breaks.
That may be. I haven't seen one yet. I have seen a lot of broken springs from '07 and earlier. If a spring breaks on an '08, all you have is a quadrant that won't self-adjust, which is pretty much what you have with an intact spring.

It's still a good idea to change it, and it's a good idea to go to the torsion spring, but you don't have to do it to avoid the risk of lunching your motor.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #1517
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Warning Warning Warning!!!!! PSA

Never tell the cost of the Farkles to your wife!

PSA over
Fixed..
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #1518
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob View Post
Fixed..

Also, never admit to anything new that see notices.....naaaa, that's not new honey, I just moved it from it's original position and repainted it.....don't you remember when it was , you know, over here.....lol
Old 11-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #1519
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Also, never admit to anything new that see notices.....naaaa, that's not new honey, I just moved it from it's original position and repainted it.....don't you remember when it was , you know, over here.....lol
That's why I always try to buy the same color helmet..............".no honey that's the same one, remember that color I bought four years ago?"
DONATE TO ADVRider
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1520
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
So, I've got an '08. Do I really need to do the Doo?
I thought there was going to be an huge response telling me how much of an idiot I am for not getting it done.
Ok, ok, I will get it done. (silent treatment is worse than a tounge lashing...lol)
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #1521
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
LEDs

Old 11-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #1522
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. beautiful ..

I did mine in red .. that's pretty sweet though .. hmmm ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
LEDs

RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #1523
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

I did my SUV dash in blue years ago and really like it. Blue is easier on the eyes as well. I had plenty of LED's so I did my other bike as well. I was kind of thinking red would be cool since it's a red bike. Got a pic of your dash?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #1524
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
I did my SUV dash in blue years ago and really like it. Blue is easier on the eyes as well. I had plenty of LED's so I did my other bike as well.
That's great looking Yokomo - Any info on how to do this? Thanks! BTW, my bike is Blue and it'd complement nicely...
Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #1525
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
I thought there was going to be an huge response telling me how much of an idiot I am for not getting it done.
Ok, ok, I will get it done. (silent treatment is worse than a tounge lashing...lol)
I believe there are enough irregularities in the factory springs its worth doing.. My 09 had 5000 miles and the pressure and horror stories finally got to my nerves to I changed mine out and went to the torsion spring.. My factory doo was fine and there was plenty of tension on my spring.. The way people were talking I was expecting at 5000 miles to see a broken spring. Eagle Mikes doo is much better quality and the torsion spring was an easy install.. Mike is awesome to work with as well. I opened my box and he had included carb and master cylinder upgrade screws, a tamper resistant oil fill cap, and a bushing in case mine was missing. Excellent experience working with him and quality tools as well..
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #1526
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammason View Post
That's great looking Yokomo - Any info on how to do this? Thanks! BTW, my bike is Blue and it'd complement nicely...
You can order the LED's from many places. You only need 3 - #194 to light up the odo, speedo, temp gauges. I ordered a pack of 10 off ebay.
All you have to do is remove the windshield and you can replace the 3 lightbulbs. Very easy. If you have any questions you can PM me.
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1527
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I believe there are enough irregularities in the factory springs its worth doing.. My 09 had 5000 miles and the pressure and horror stories finally got to my nerves to I changed mine out and went to the torsion spring.. My factory doo was fine and there was plenty of tension on my spring.. The way people were talking I was expecting at 5000 miles to see a broken spring. Eagle Mikes doo is much better quality and the torsion spring was an easy install.. Mike is awesome to work with as well. I opened my box and he had included carb and master cylinder upgrade screws, a tamper resistant oil fill cap, and a bushing in case mine was missing. Excellent experience working with him and quality tools as well..
I changed my Doo at about 2500 miles on my 09...
Doo was good, "spring-y" part of spring was fine...
But, the end hooks of spring were bent out so there was actually not tension from the spring...

Replaced with Eagle Mike's torsion spring...no known issues and I should be rolling 50K on the clock this week...
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #1528
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
Not really. The '08 version will not break.

It is still worth doing, but there is absolutely no urgency to it. The way the stock quadrant is indexed on the shaft, you will get maybe one adjustment out of the stock spring. A shorter spring may or may not give you any more. The replacement from Eagle Eng. is indexed to give a greater range of adjustment. It also fits the shaft better, for what that is worth.
I call BS. There's not been one KLR that I have opened up that wasn't either broken, or the spring had no tension. Including 08 and 09 year models. So, yes, you do need to replace the tension adjusting cam and spring with Eagle parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The spring still breaks.
good post
Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #1529
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
For those of you who have used the extended fuel screw, how well does it work for you? At what elevation level do you start playing with it. Inquiring minds want to know.
Works good man.... Elevation depends.... I tweak it to keep the idle at it's highest possible rpm. Leaner up high and a bit richer when I get back down.... I'm in much tighter than most folks... 1/2-1 turn out is all....3/4 most of the time. Simply nice to be able to tweak the tuneup so easy...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #1530
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Ok, I'm doin' the doo!
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote