Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #1546
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Suerte View Post
I'm gonna give 'em a call tomorrow. I just asked Eagle Mike to give me a price on a 688 kit, boring, shipping, etc. See how Carl's price compares.
Right on...I'm out in Idaho again now and will prob stop by to say high to the guys and gals at Carl's in a few. If ya can't get to Desarae then ask to speak with Curtis the manager and resident KLR guru. .. great guy.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #1547
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Yhea but that doesn't look like much of a crash bar now does it, or should I say "wow what a great $3 crashbar"
That's supposed to be a crash bar? I thought it was just to support luggage.
It doesn't look supported enough to provide crash protection.

My cheapo system works really well for its intended function.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #1548
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
I'm gonna give 'em a call tomorrow. I just asked Eagle Mike to give me a price on a 688 kit, boring, shipping, etc. See how Carl's price compares.
You might also trying getting a hold of Wyman Wynn over on the other KLR owner's forum. He is supposed to be the pioneer of the 688 kit and keeps kits with jugs around for sale and exchange. I don't know him or have done business with him, but he has a very good reputation in the KLR community.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #1549
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Eagle Mike or Wyman are the ones to call about ready to install kits for the KLR. They both know the KLR inside and out, plus good guys to deal and know!

Hope this helps
Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #1550
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Right on...I'm out in Idaho again now and will prob stop by to say high to the guys and gals at Carl's in a few. If ya can't get to Desarae then ask to speak with Curtis the manager and resident KLR guru. .. great guy.
I missed this post before I called Carl's. Desarae was gone. I spoke w/ (IIRC) Nate, he said they are moving away from the 685 kits b/c boring the cylinders weakened them. He said that they can do the 685 for $550 or do the 705 kit for $600. Eagle Mike quoted me $400 for the 688 kit, so I'll probably go that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
You might also trying getting a hold of Wyman Wynn over on the other KLR owner's forum. He is supposed to be the pioneer of the 688 kit and keeps kits with jugs around for sale and exchange. I don't know him or have done business with him, but he has a very good reputation in the KLR community.
AFAIK, Wyman and Eagle Mike are working together on the 688 kit, or at least both selling the same kit, but I may call him to see if he can get the Wossner piston and ring set. I'm getting tire of not having a running bike, we've got another few weeks before it gets really cold here.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #1551
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That's supposed to be a crash bar? I thought it was just to support luggage.
It doesn't look supported enough to provide crash protection.

My cheapo system works really well for its intended function.

No it's not a crash "specific" bar but works the same non-the-less. It's strong enough and bolted to the frame making it quite protective and strong enough to pick the bike up if needed. Yours is a good idea and I like homemade farkels but my point was while you saved money it's not the same in function.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #1552
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
I missed this post before I called Carl's. Desarae was gone. I spoke w/ (IIRC) Nate, he said they are moving away from the 685 kits b/c boring the cylinders weakened them. He said that they can do the 685 for $550 or do the 705 kit for $600. Eagle Mike quoted me $400 for the 688 kit, so I'll probably go that direction.

AFAIK, Wyman and Eagle Mike are working together on the 688 kit, or at least both selling the same kit, but I may call him to see if he can get the Wossner piston and ring set. I'm getting tire of not having a running bike, we've got another few weeks before it gets really cold here.
Right on which ever way you choose... The price difference reflects Carl's selling you a Chrio sleeved jug, wrather than a stocker so it'd be more. I prefer the sleeve but it's your money. Enjoy
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #1553
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
It would be interesting to know how the different choices, 685, 688, 705, bored or sleeved are doing after significant milage has been put on them. Everyone seems happy when it is done, what are the impressions at 10,000 miles post?

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #1554
willys
Beastly Adventurer

10,000 is that all? I have had a 685 for almost 5 years now and have taken it apart every winter, just to see inside, just in case.....and have found nothing ever wrong with it. I did re-ring it last winter as I had taken the edge off my top ring and it was using a bit of oil, I mean maybe 1/2 litre in the distance it is to ride across Canada....lol Not a normal thing as it never used any oil before that trip. I think I took the edge off it from dismantling it so many times and forcing the top of the rings back into the sleeve each time as I don't use a ring compressor. Plus not sure how one does when it's being used under neath the jug so to speak.
I have roughly 50,000kms on my 685 and love it. If it did pack it in, it wouldn't be long before I replaced it!
When I did the re-ring I also installed the thicker sleeve too, just because I could.....no other reason.

Hope this long winded reply is understandable.....as I mean to say it that is.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #1555
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
That is great information to have! Thanks for posting your results, sounds like having the sleeve is something you feel was helpful. Nice to hear the high milage and good results. Hope more chime in with what they found.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #1556
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I got the thicker sleeve just because of the what if type of thinking. If, it actually makes any difference with a 685 kit, I have taken out that possibility. Plus, if for some reason I decide to up the cc's to a place that takes my fancy, I already have the best sleeve to play with. I also have a second and third cylinder here to play with just to see what's possible if I get bored in the future. I have always thought, what is the largest piston that someone could run using this sleeve. Yes I know of the 703/705 cc piston, but, I'm sure you could go larger if you wanted to take away some of the reliability of the bike.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1557
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,679
Has anyone seen a stock sleeve deform after being bored or run with the 685 piston?

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #1558
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Has anyone seen a stock sleeve deform after being bored or run with the 685 piston?

If anyone has it would be Eagle Mike or Wyman Winn. I haven't heard of any....
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #1559
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
If anyone has it would be Eagle Mike or Wyman Winn. I haven't heard of any....
That's more or less what I figured.

Next.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #1560
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I've done a dozen or so 685 kits now and haven't had one back for any repairs or issues. If the original sleeve can be trued up to get a good bore done to it, there is no real reason to go back in. Unless you have something else that is effecting it's life span like running your bike way too rich and not dealing with it as soon as you notice it being so rich that it is washing the bore down every stroke and therefore is glazing the cylinder. I have a buddies bike in now that I have rehoned and re-ringed to fix this issue. It is now a new 685 basically, fresh as it was new so to speak.

I too have never seen or heard of amyone having any issues as long as it was bored correctly, that is slowly as not to heat up the sleeve and causing more damage or warpage from the heat build up. The trick is to find a good shop who know how to bore large single cylinder bikes, such as hardleys etc. The guy I use is well versed in getting the job done well the first time. Not one of his machine jobs have had me going back for any warrantee work. If you find a good shop, make sure you stick with them and recomend them to others to make sure they stay in business, there are way too many shops closing their doors now a days. We need to help these fine shops when we find them and support them all we can.

Hope this helps