Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #2746
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
So that thing doesn't get bumped around by your knees (or vice versa)? Seems to be a vulnerable location, IMHO. More or less than stock... who knows.
Knee-bumping hazard reduced to a negligible possibility, I think, by shortening the shaft:

Hardly vulnerable, though a fall while ON could move the control to OFF.

Center of knob is at same height as end of fuel petcock lever when ON, projects outboard about the same distance, and is located 3-1/2" behind it:

Knob is 12-1/2" above footpeg; top of my knee is 21" above footpeg with foot on peg.

Don't anticipate interference (none experienced in test rides) or vulnerability; will report either if they occur.

Regardless, thanks for your constructive analysis and sharing the points you raise, DirtyDog.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 10:14 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #2747
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,720
I just know that I've somehow managed to bump the petcock to the "OFF" position in rough terrain. Maybe it was a miracle of contortion.

Peace, XDR.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #2748
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 781
It can happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I just know that I've somehow managed to bump the petcock to the "OFF" position in rough terrain. Maybe it was a miracle of contortion.

Peace, XDR.
I wrecked once and managed to get my foot under the handle of the petcock and broke it off, Just pulled the two screws straight out of the petcock body like butta. Put the handle with o-ring back where it belonged and held it there while I rode home.
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #2749
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Just installed some Tusk D-Flex handguards. I put them at the highest angle I could manage but they still seem a bit low. They protect all the controls perfectly though. In the second picture the wheel isn't perfectly straight so they look a bit off.

2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #2750
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Question "New" '03...now what?

Well, my good friend finally found and purchased a KLR 650 w/2300mi. WooHoo!!!!

Guess my question, as he's not an inmate yet, is what are the first things he should do to it?

We've ID'd a few normal things: Get rid of the original tires, battery, oil change, clean the air filter, maybe a sparkplug(runs amazing, so maybe not yet).

I'm trying to access my dust bunnies in my head trying to remember what the important stuff was that "must" be done to the KLR.

Other than what we see as 'need to do', there are a few things that, in my eyes need to be swapped:
1. Renthal ATV bend
2. Remove lowering bones and get it back up to original height
3. Progressive springs up front
4. Fork brace
5. Tusk aluminum brush guards
6. T-mod
7. Doohicky (not sure if it's been done)
8. Clean oil screen(not sure if it's been done either)
9. Grease the swingarm

That's just a few that I can think of...all help is appreciated! Thanks, Walt

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #2751
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
Get rid of the stock, slippery a** foot pegs.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #2752
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Next weekend I will be installing my new piston, cylinder and head with a new cam. I have a FT/Lbs torque wrench but need to borrow an in/lbs from work. What is the maximum in/lbs I will need? They have all different types. I don't have my service manual yet to look it up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #2753
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
i got one similar to that from superbrightleds. it blinks 3 times then stays solid for 19 dollars
Got a link to share for the light you got?
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #2754
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
"New" Engine & Failed-Fastener Fix ...

Here's a pic of my 2001 Kawasaki KLR 650 that I purchased a few years ago from inmate Bicycle Phil:

It has had a hard and happy life ... down to Baja and Death Valley many times, tons of Sheetirons, Mendocino National Forest and Carrizo Plains camping trips ...

I was getting ready for the Mendo Rally, and was having Werkstatt put new tires on it, so on a whim, I had them change the oil, too ... this is what they found:

My friend, Jennifer, who owns the shop, called me to give me the bad news ... they thought the damage was in the bottom end. I hung up the phone and was sad for a couple of hours about the poor KLR, before I recalled the $500 parts bike Jennifer had sold me that I've had berried in the back of the garage for years ...

I had been told that Werkstatt had worked on the parts bike for a customer for a bit, but could never get the engine to run ... I recalled that the parts bike's engine issue sounded like an electrical problem. I knew the '01's electrical system was working ... so, there you go. An engine swap was clearly called for ...

The 1993 engine out of the parts bike ... (there's a few more pics of the parts bike here).

The '01 in the process of removing its engine to make room for the '93 ...

And the broken engine out of the '01 and on the floor ... progress.

DSCN8935
The '93 engine, just about installed in the '01 ... Inmate kallehof took this pic. He has an ADV thread on his 1937 Indian Chief basket case build here.

I got the '01 all buttoned up with the '93 engine installed. Time to hit the starter button ... and the bike would grind away, but would not start.

Shucks.

Well, I knew the electrical system on my bike was working, so it had to be an issue with the electrical system in the '93 engine ... I pulled the sparkplug and grounded it and hit the starter and got a weak, inconsistent spark ... must be an issue under the stator cover, so I'd be swapping for the stator on the '01 ...

The '01 stator and igniteor coil ...

Bottom end bits on the pulse generator ignition coil on the '01 stator cover.

The doo-hickey on the '93 engine ...

Here's a question for you all: Does this look like an aftermarket 'doo? Sure hope it is ... you can see the torn o-ring that had been the cause of a mysterious oil leak on the '93 parts bike ...

I cleaned the '01 stator cover of the engine bits sticking to it, and slapped it onto the '93 engine. When I hit the starter, Bingo! Started up just like a KLR should ... joy!

Back on the road, in front of my favorite cafe in San Francisco, The Mercury Cafe at Octavia and Page ... As you can see, I run the 1993 "Barbie" bodywork on the '01 KLR nowadays, because it is so ugly it is beautiful ...

We took the KLR to Hollister Hills to shake it down, and I noticed that I'd stripped the footpeg bolts on the left side ... dern. There's a ride report here.

So, it was back to Werkstatt to get some help fixing the footpeg ... here master mechanic Daniel drills out the damaged treads ...

I got home from Hollister without loosing the footpeg by duct taping the damaged fastners to the frame, and zip tying the footpeg to the fame as well ...

The Time-Sert kit Daniel used to fix the footpeg threads on a permanent basis.

Drilling out the damaged threads, and tapping threads in the frame for the outside threads of the solid Time-Sert insert ...

Daniel wound up using red loc-tite on the outside threads of the insert, because the frame prevents one from using the the Time-Sert tool to expand the insert and lock it to the new threads in the frame ... anyway, so far, so good with the red loc-tite ...

I've got a new set of Pirelli MT-21s on the bike, which I've never used before ... I want to see if the front will wear better than the Dunlop 606s that I've been using ... Have a 14 tooth front sprocket on it, too, so I should be ready for the Mendo Rally ... and the Sheetiron ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 02:15 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #2755
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

I cleaned the '01 stator cover of the engine bits sticking to it, and slapped it onto the '93 engine. When I hit the starter, Bingo! Started up just like a KLR should ... joy!

-- SFMCjohn

Awesome story man, thanks for sharing
Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #2756
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:

-- SFMCjohn
nice...way to reanimate her.

im going out to my shed and see if there are any parts bikes in there I forgot about.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #2757
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
-- SFMCjohn
Good stuff!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #2758
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Excellent. Are you going to take apart the old engine and see what happened?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #2759
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava View Post
Awesome story man, thanks for sharing
Hey Ben ... Alaska, FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
nice...way to reanimate her. im going out to my shed and see if there are any parts bikes in there I forgot about.
Hi Astrolump; Ha! You'd think that's the kind of thing I'd remember ... when I got it though, I had been told the engine wasn't running, so I didn't think of it right away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Good stuff!
Thanks Jettn Jim, I'm enjoying your posts here ... cool radiator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Excellent. Are you going to take apart the old engine and see what happened?
Hi Kawidad; I hope to tear down the broken '01 engine and get it fixed before I need it ... ha. It has a 685 kit in it ... I've been told (by larryboy) that I need to take it down to the cases, clean it, and replace most of the bearings and especially the oil pump, which gets scored by all that metal in the engine ...

Hey! Can any of you guys tell if that's an aftermarket doo-hickey in the '93 engine? It looks like it to me, because it's silver ... sure hope it is ...

Hope to see you all around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #2760
Pilot2Wheels
Pilot2Wheels

Oddometer: 22
Cool2 Marlin Time/Temp

Thought I would give a little update on keeping time and temp on the KLR

I bought the TOCS clock and temp gauge from Marlin with the classic black face. These have glow in the dark markings, and are waterproof and shock resistant. They are a bit pricey at $42.50 each (free shipping) but I wanted some time and temp info, so I just did it.

Here are the clock and temp guage. I put the double sided tape on the back of the mounting bracket.

Another view. Here you can see the supplied screw or double sided tape.

A view of the size, and the depth of screw if you choose that option.

Before photo

Photo of the bracket with double sided tape before clock/temp gauge installed.

After 10 minutes of work, the final installation.

I'll report back once I have a chance to ride with them a few times.

Wayne