Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #3046
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
Hi all
I'm new here so hopefully I'm asking this in the right place.
My question is; Are all the parts etc the for an 08 KLR Doohickey mod the same as for the 07? My local bike shop has all the parts for the 07 and earlier models so I need to know whether to tell them to go ahead with the doo on my 08.
Thanks
Its my understanding they are all the same. I didn't see a difference between my 07 parts and my 09 parts.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #3047
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
you are correct sir

turns out I've got the 700's and love em
whoops
learn something new every day
someday i may even learn to comprehend what i read
Yep, no worries.

I looked at the 700's long and hard, repeatedly convincing myself I would ride more dirt in the future and they 700's would come in handy. Alas, reality says I will continue to ride about 90/10 and need more milage out of my tires. I even bumped up the tire size from a 130/80 to a 130/90 because I read somewhere on ADVrider that the 130/90 will get me a better cruising RPM. We shall see...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #3048
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy View Post
Yep, no worries.

I looked at the 700's long and hard, repeatedly convincing myself I would ride more dirt in the future and they 700's would come in handy. Alas, reality says I will continue to ride about 90/10 and need more milage out of my tires. I even bumped up the tire size from a 130/80 to a 130/90 because I read somewhere on ADVrider that the 130/90 will get me a better cruising RPM. We shall see...
Yeah I thought about the 705's too but they seem similar to the Avon Distanzias that were just a little too slippery on the gravel roads for my skill level. Even though I don't to get hit gravel as much I'd like I want to have as much traction as possible without going full knobby like the D606. The 700s give me enough confidence I'm starting to throttle steer more and more. We'll see how that goes...
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3049
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy View Post
Yep, no worries.

That's what I installed as well. 130/90 I like the taller tire because it changed the gearing some, I'm tall so it gets the bike up higher for me, and gets the bike to lean a little on the kickstand. Great tires EVEN ON GRAVEL.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #3050
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Hi all
My question is; Are all the parts etc the for an 08 KLR Doohickey mod the same as for the 07? My local bike shop has all the parts for the 07 and earlier models so I need to know whether to tell them to go ahead with the doo on my 08.
Thanks
If you are referring to factory original parts, the answer is no; they are different. If you are referring to aftermarket, then they are the same.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #3051
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
That's what I installed as well. 130/90 I like the taller tire because it changed the gearing some, I'm tall so it gets the bike up higher for me, and gets the bike to lean a little on the kickstand. Great tires EVEN ON GRAVEL.
Some good info here ^ Iam about due for a new rear. I have been thinking about going to a 18" rim and tire, I will try this first as I need a tire anyway.(Iam also tall-6'5"-- can you say Monkey F-in a football). Yokomo, do you know how much taller the 130/90 is over the stocker?? Thanks
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #3052
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Before you buy a new fuze block and put a 15amp fuse in, check your wiring harness for the short circuit. Maybe start at the point where you saw the puff of smoke. But definitely take the gas tank off and follow the wires from the battery all the way to the headlight. You'll most likely find the short there.

I personally would never put a bigger fuse in. You're just doing a temporary fix that will not solve the problem, and could potentially create more problems and expense.
While fiddling with it I found one possible short, in that the headlight itself had apparently blown. Replaced that and the fuse (smoke was from part of the plastic surrounding the fuse melting/burning) and it seems to be going well now.

Now when I was putting the headlight stuff back together I got a little confused, is the rubber boot supposed to go over the end cap/plug, or does it go on, and then the plug? The boot looks like it has an area for the wires to go out the inside (implying it goes on second), but I sure couldn't get it on properly that way. I got it over the plug once, but it certainly wan't sealing.

I'll have to think about the fuses, I had to replace the glass one completely since all the wires and connectors themselves were burned. I put in an ATM fuse/waterproof holder with wire nuts as at least a short term fix.
Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #3053
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 964
Electricity runs on smoke. How well depends on how much smoke has leaked out.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #3054
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Hi all
Thanks
If this is a Kawasaki shop with stock parts, No!

They will fit, BUT are not equal!

The original 07 lever is a 2 part welded part and these have a history of breaking at the weld or lobe areas! The 08+ stock part is machined out of solid material and does not have a history of breaking. Both are inferior to those made by E Mike who also changed the lobe design. Are their parts from EMike? If not, there are some pirate parts that are also suspect. All stock springs are suspect, break or are too long for proper adjustment.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 10:07 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #3055
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks guys - I'll make sure they're replacing everything with E Mike parts.
Next Question:
Where to install the 12 V acc plug on my '08?
Thanks
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #3056
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,173
On my '09 I put mine in the upper left fairing by to tach but in the painted portion.

Only issue is that from the viberation the plug will lose contact and stop charging.
So you may want to mount it so that the plug is virtical instead of horizontal ?

Just my 2cents
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #3057
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Thermobob installed! Wow what a difference! Not only does the engine run the way it should, it runs way more smooth and I dont feel like I am pushing the bike to its limits to run 75-80

"the other site" will have some details about my thoughts on it within the next few days.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #3058
beergut
Thumper

Does anyone know of a KLR radiator guard? Not that JNS thing that you add to the OEM guard...a nice all metal radiator guard.

DIY rear top rack
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #3059
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
Does anyone know of a KLR radiator guard? Not that JNS thing that you add to the OEM guard...a nice all metal radiator guard.
You mean like this?http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Co...bo-KLR650.aspx
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #3060
beergut
Thumper

I shoulda said... for an '08

DIY rear top rack