Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #3631
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
Hi all,

I got a '95 KLR with about 25k miles at the beginning of the summer. I immediately put in an Eagle Mike torsion spring and recently added a manual petcock and highway gearing. I'm thinking about doing a major aesthetic rebuild of the bike - converting it to a sort of vintage-looking scrambler, just for day trips, picnics, etc. My question is, can I remove the airbox and just stick a K&N filter on the carb, and replace the muffler with a free-flowing exhaust? I realize that will absolutely require rejetting, and so I wonder how to go about doing that - I assume I'd need to go richer to start. My only experience with carb tuning is on Mikuni VM roundslide carbs. Which, by the way, I've considered putting on the KLR - anyone done that?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
I've got a 92 I restored a few yrs ago and figured I'd sell it. Turns out I like slow and heavy. Over 30K miles later I've also decided to do some upgrades and went so far as to design a cafe mock up but have since decided to get a 'real' cafe and now looking to just upgrade the KLR. I picked up an 08 KLR and will 'meld' the two together to arrive at what I want the KLR to be. Included with that will be FI which I'm working on right now.

To answer your question(s)...air boxes play a key roll in a proper running machine. Granted old tech KLR's are just that but I've done what you are talking about many times with many bikes and once you remove the air box you can spend some time getting it to run properly at all RPM's. I use an A/F meter from Innovatemotorsports.com to handle my tuning needs. O2 sensors don't lie and make what you want to do (or any tuning/mods) very simple. I'd highly recommend you pick up a O2 based A/F meter to help with your project. Would love to see it when done!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #3632
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Ah, okay, thanks for the information. I assumed since it "wasn't" repackable that it was built more like a car's muffler and didn't have packing in it.
It has Quality Ceramic packing in it. Even during the repack and after 23,000mi the packing looked really good.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #3633
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 600
Are any of the KLR mufflers built like a car type with just internal baffles? Or is that too loud and/ or heavy.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3634
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Are any of the KLR mufflers built like a car type with just internal baffles? Or is that too loud and/ or heavy.
Stock and Staintune are fully baffled. There is a third but can't recall off the top of my head. The Leo is a hybrid...a bit of packing and baffle.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3635
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I have wondered the same thing...

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #3636
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Stock and Staintune are fully baffled. There is a third but can't recall off the top of my head. The Leo is a hybrid...a bit of packing and baffle.
The third is probably Laser Duro.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #3637
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
The third is probably Laser Duro.
Yup. Haven't heard/seen or used one myself.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #3638
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
The Leo Vince does not require repacking to the best of my knowledge. I have had one and it sounded really good.
Barry
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #3639
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
Lectron Update

After dicking around with the bike in a static state with no real results, in and out with the metering rod I decided that I was wasting time and went back to the drawing board. I took it back to the initial set up and fired it up. It was obviously still way too rich so I took 3/4 of a turn on the rod and took it for a ride today. It was twitchy, mostly due to the new throttle set up I think, but rideable. After it got to a good operating temp I tweaked idle (which basically just lifts the slide) and got it more rideable. After I got home I pulled the plug and was surprised that it wasn't running as rich I may have thought. I pulled the slide again and leaned it up another 3/4 of a turn. I look forward to the next ride. Although the twist of the new MotionPro throttle assembly is much longer than stock performance seemed improved at low speed even though it was still running a bit rich. When the Power Jet kicks in the difference is obvious. It almost feels like a turbo or nitrous shot in accel. I look forward to the next tweek ride.
Here are a few pics of the install and my makeshift Gatorade test tank (dont waste your time, just get it running enough to ride and put it under load)
http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...LRX688Lectron/

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:41 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #3640
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
The Leo Vince does not require repacking to the best of my knowledge. I have had one and it sounded really good.
Barry
You are right. The new LV's have no packing....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #3641
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
You are right. The new LV's have no packing....
Both mine do Brian...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #3642
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Although I dont have one, I take it through credible sources that the new LV's no longer have packing. I guess they all, or some required in the past. They probably still make some, who knows? I just know I have no issues with taking 15 mins every season or so to repack. Seems to me it just goes with regular maintenance. A man I respect loves his Staintune.....

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 08:19 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #3643
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 914
Has anyone played with the wiring harness? Trying to figure out how to wire up the bike so that low beam comes on whenever the key is turned to ON, and remains on low beam even if the switch is on high beam. I have a pair of LED spotlights that I want to use for high beam, but I want low beams to remain on as well.

My intuitive senses of the flow of electroncs tell me that I need to wire in a relay for low beam, tied into a lead that is hot when the key is switched to ON. Then wire in the LED lamps to the high beam lead.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #3644
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,218
I just copied this from the Happy Trails web site page for the LV exhaust for the KLR's

Important Technical Note 02/27/2012: Manny Hauswirth, US Technical Manager for LeoVince USA reports: "The KLR slip-on uses one of our Enduro style mufflers with a mechanical baffle and does not require repacking. It is not advisable to disassemble this silencer."

Looks like I will be going with a Leo Vince then..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #3645
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
After dicking around with the bike in a static state with no real results, in and out with the metering rod I decided that I was wasting time and went back to the drawing board. I took it back to the initial set up and fired it up. It was obviously still way too rich so I took 3/4 of a turn on the rod and took it for a ride today. It was twitchy, mostly due to the new throttle set up I think, but rideable. After it got to a good operating temp I tweaked idle (which basically just lifts the slide) and got it more rideable. After I got home I pulled the plug and was surprised that it wasn't running as rich I may have thought. I pulled the slide again and leaned it up another 3/4 of a turn. I look forward to the next ride. Although the twist of the new MotionPro throttle assembly is much longer than stock performance seemed improved at low speed even though it was still running a bit rich. When the Power Jet kicks in the difference is obvious. It almost feels like a turbo or nitrous shot in accel. I look forward to the next tweek ride.
Here are a few pics of the install and my makeshift Gatorade test tank (dont waste your time, just get it running enough to ride and put it under load)
http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...LRX688Lectron/
Does this carb bolt right up to the Klr or is there mods involved to the air inlet system or any clearance issues ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote