Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3736
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hey Gas Guy... nice job, I think your gonna find that your new SC is more comfy WITHOUT your Alaska Leather sheepskin... Yea I know doesn't add up but on a little 4,500mi hop down to FLA this past February that's what I found out.
Then told Oldstove over at KLRWorld and after testing it out on his he said hmmmm no kidd'n yer right.
Check it out and get back to me... it's weird!

As for the SC I'll prob sell mine when I get back from the ride I'm currently on, since it just sits gathering dust in the shop anyhow....
Foam weighs a ton and I like my RM betta.

As for welding the pegs.... not for me since I swap engines more than most guy's swap tires.
I need it to be as smooooth as possible when I've gotta 120lbs hang'n on on my finger tips.
But I understand some doin' it.

Peace,
JJ
Okay, thanks I will try it without the sheepskin.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #3737
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,645
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Keep them adjusted to mid tolerance and check them often. They are not as forgiving as stockers, they have a tendency to wear if not to spec. Did you do headwork or 1mm over valves?
Had a set of them in engine #1 for about 8,500mi now.... along with a few other mods Goood stuff!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #3738
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Keep them adjusted to mid tolerance and check them often. They are not as forgiving as stockers, they have a tendency to wear if not to spec. Did you do headwork or 1mm over valves?
Had a set of them in engine #1 for about 8,500mi now.... along with a few other mods Goood stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Okay, thanks I will try it without the sheepskin.
Yea surprised the Hell outta me when I put the skin away during a couple rainy days. Good thing is you won't have to make room to store your skin during storms anymore, just leave it at home. Only seat I ever used that didn't like the Lamb?!?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #3739
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.
Since 2003, I have an IMS tank instead of crash bars. The bike has been down hard many times without damage to the radiator. Jeffie Ecker did manage to bend my fan shroud once. The tank kinda looks like crap, but no worse today than it did in 2005. For my money, it's the way to go: rad protection and an extra 75-100 miles range for less than the price of crash bars.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #3740
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
I have a Arias 688 piston and oversize SS valves and it's all been done to spec, run then re-checked for clearance.

lexluther11 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 08:01 PM
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #3741
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
Since 2003, I have an IMS tank instead of crash bars. The bike has been down hard many times without damage to the radiator. Jeffie Ecker did manage to bend my fan shroud once. The tank kinda looks like crap, but no worse today than it did in 2005. For my money, it's the way to go: rad protection and an extra 75-100 miles range for less than the price of crash bars.
Agreed. And hi, Jud. :)
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #3742
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
I have a Arias 688 piston and oversize SS valves and it's all been done to spec, run then re-checked for clearance.
Ah, been working with Wyman I see.... Good guy. You have the same setup I do except we sent my head out to Chief for some "unmatched" head porting (DO NOT compare with M-tech!). Don't you like how Hot Cams requires you to turn your airbox into swiss cheese? There was basically nothing left of mine so I went with an Anti-gravity battery and dumped it for a dual stage UNI sock. Congrats! WW and EM are tops in my book......
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #3743
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Had SW's on my 2 KLR's. My 88 my rear tried to pass my front on some loose gravel in a sharp turn I over corrected and face planted (hard) into the pavement at about 30 mph. Slight scrape on the bars and a broken mirror are all that happened. No deflection or bending. Some touch up paint and it was good as new. My 2012 has fallen over twice, one on each side on pavement, no attempt to catch it. I have a hair scratch on one side of the bars, the other side I can't even find a scratch. I can't comment on the Happy Trails bars, I've seen some youtube videos after drops and wrecks and guys seem to be happy with how they've held up. I have read of some slight fitment isses on the HT bars but nothing some pulling and tugging wouldn't fix. I think between the 2 it's really a style preference. My personal thoughts are the SW's are way sexier. The Givi's just don't protect enough for my taste, I've heard other mirror that. Just do one thing, don't fall for the $100 hwy pegs from SW. I bought them for my 88' and they sucked. On my 2012 I ordered some $7 folding foot pegs and they worked perfect. SW's all the way.

I ended up going with my own home made version using 1.0 inch square tubing. I used the same mounting points as others. These have been tested many times off road and have always done there job.

I am thinking any of the major manufacturers will provide you with a decent bar for off road type get off's, IMHO it is the higher speed hard pavement off's that will likely do more damage. And I am in no hurry to test mine for that situation.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #3744
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

I left my airbox looking like a box, with 4-1" holes in the top that I either block off or keep open with 1" filter inserts.... depending on the jetting I need at the time.
I also have the side door if needed for the really high stuff....

Yea their airbox mods and jetting recommendations are deff out there for sure.
I use my common sense and end up somewhere all together different.

And I agree with Jud on the IMS fer sure!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #3745
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Love that Blue and Black. I've got the SW's too. Very sturdy. Between them and barkbusters bikes pretty well protected.

John
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #3746
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Hey Gas Guy... nice job, I think your gonna find that your new SC is more comfy WITHOUT your Alaska Leather sheepskin... Yea I know doesn't add up but on a little 4,500mi hop down to FLA this past February that's what I found out.
Then told Oldstove over at KLRWorld and after testing it out on his he said hmmmm no kidd'n yer right.
Check it out and get back to me... it's weird!

As for the SC I'll prob sell mine when I get back from the ride I'm currently on, since it just sits gathering dust in the shop anyhow....
Foam weighs a ton and I like my RM betta.

As for welding the pegs.... not for me since I swap engines more than most guy's swap tires.
I need it to be as smooooth as possible when I've gotta 120lbs hang'n on on my finger tips.
But I understand some doin' it.

Peace,
JJ
Just an FYI, I had the footpegs welded on my KLR while the engine was out of the frame and had no problems installing the engine.

Just thought I'd share.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #3747
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
I left my airbox looking like a box, with 4-1" holes in the top that I either block off or keep open with 1" filter inserts.... depending on the jetting I need at the time.
I also have the side door if needed for the really high stuff....

Yea their airbox mods and jetting recommendations are deff out there for sure.
I use my common sense and end up somewhere all together different.

And I agree with Jud on the IMS fer sure!
I found that the airbox definitely choked the system down unless you drilled those side holes in the airbox, I tried it both ways. I guess if you putt alot it really would make much diff. I love the UNI sock, easy to inspect, clean and to my surprise I have had no issues with water crossings but I am not one to ride in waist deep.......
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #3748
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.
YMMV, Aron31, but . . . I consider nerfs SACRIFICIAL components, whose mission is to protect radiator, tank, and plastics.

If the machine remains operable after a crash, I consider the nerfs have done their job, bends and nicks notwithstanding. Generation 1 Happy Trails PD nerfs have been thoroughly road-tested, bike remained trail-worthy throughout, and . . . Happy Trails provides some price consideration for replacement parts.

Were the nerfs TOO sturdy, frame distortion/damage might result from falls, I'd think. My opinion only; unbreakable, unbendable crash guards may exist, producing an invulnerable KLR.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #3749
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Love that Blue and Black. I've got the SW's too. Very sturdy. Between them and barkbusters bikes pretty well protected.

John
I'll second the bark busters. Once the crash bars are on your handle bars then become the remaining weak spot. I have added Protaper bars and MSR guards on mine since those photos. If you combine quality handle bars with lever guards and the crash guards you have done about all you can to make sure you can pick your bike up and carry on after almost any "get off" situation.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #3750
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Stu- if you're using aftermarket options as justification for a perceived problem, then you must be sipping the kool-aid.

Tail wagging the dog.

Carrying spare tubes is one thing, but a spare MC bracket?
Buy the Eagle Mike bracket.

The stock one is a die cast unit that is easily broken. I've witnessed one myself.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote