Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #3751
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Just an FYI, I had the footpegs welded on my KLR while the engine was out of the frame and had no problems installing the engine.

Just thought I'd share.
I like the looks of your mod... you welded plates to bolt your pegs mounts to.
I believe alot of folks weld the factory mounts. I'm not saying that, that couldn't work either, but I like dropping the left peg down out of the way when I do swaps. I'll have to try leaving it in the normal position next time I pull the engine.
Just not today.... I'm up here in Newfoundland for 3 weeks now and am installing my backup 705 that has the hotcams today, while the peg is outta the way.
This will be the 3rd engine swap since June. Plus a teardown for re-ringing and valve job in May.... ooooh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I found that the airbox definitely choked the system down unless you drilled those side holes in the airbox, I tried it both ways. I guess if you putt alot it really would make much diff. I love the UNI sock, easy to inspect, clean and to my surprise I have had no issues with water crossings but I am not one to ride in waist deep.......
Hahaha well I'm probably THE most UN-putting guy ya'd ever ride with aand I do keep all my airbox intact just for that purpose- Seat high Water crossings.
Anyhow glad your setup is working for ya

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 09:20 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #3752
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I'm up here in Newfoundland for 3 weeks now and am installing my backup 705 that has the hotcams today, while the peg is outta the way.
This will be the 3rd engine swap since June. Plus a teardown for re-ringing and valve job in May.... ooooh boy.

WTH??????????
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #3753
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
I like the looks of your mod... you welded plates to bolt your pegs mounts to.
I believe alot of folks weld the factory mounts. I'm not saying that, that couldn't work either, but I like dropping the left peg down out of the way when I do swaps. I'll have to try leaving it in the normal position next time I pull the engine.
Just not today.... I'm up here in Newfoundland for 3 weeks now and am installing my backup 705 that has the hotcams today, while the peg is outta the way.

Hahaha well I'm probably THE most UN-putting guy ya'd ever ride with aand I do keep all my airbox intact just for that purpose- Seat high Water crossings.
Anyhow glad your setup is working for ya
Ever wonder why you go through so many motors?

I wish your set up was working for you!!

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 10:25 AM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #3754
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
JJ: Why so many???

IDRIDR screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 03:56 PM
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #3755
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982

Inquiring minds want to know.... Why three swaps?

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #3756
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post

Inquiring minds want to know.... Why three swaps?

Maybe we dont want to know and he does not want to tell....!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3757
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Maybe we dont want to know and he does not want to tell....!
Maybe I'm just reading between the lines, but I think he has multiple motors and each is tuned/set up differently (one of them is a 705, IIRC). Rather than have the bike down for an extended rebuild, he just swaps in a fresh motor while tearing down the other.

-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #3758
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,539
705 piston, 16t sprocket, and high revs

The KLR with 705 piston seems to like to rev and I'm thinking of reducing my gearing. Can people who have 705 pistons tell me their experience? Does running a 705 at, say, 5,500rpm cause oil burning in the long run?

I was using the KLR (with original piston) for highway miles and long gravel roads so put on a 16t sprocket. It made 4,900rpm on the highway more manageable. (The bike did 4 bun-burners in 2012.) It started burning oil so it now has the 705 piston. I also have a new single-track alongside my road.

The 705 seems to REALLY like to rev and it's pretty sweet on faster rural roads. Conversely, on my little bit of lumpy single-track, I'm slipping the clutch the whole way but still blasting too fast through the trees. High rpm is SO nice with the 705, but low-rpm response is a little catchy (did the KLX needle and leaner jet very early).

Seems obvious to me going back to 15t or even to 14t would be an improvement at all speeds if I just let it rev. I'm hoping someone can tell me if revving the 705 causes the same wear and ovalization as revving the original piston and sleeve.

Thanks.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #3759
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The KLR with 705 piston seems to like to rev and I'm thinking of reducing my gearing. Can people who have 705 pistons tell me their experience? Does running a 705 at, say, 5,500rpm cause oil burning in the long run?

I was using the KLR (with original piston) for highway miles and long gravel roads so put on a 16t sprocket. It made 4,900rpm on the highway more manageable. (The bike did 4 bun-burners in 2012.) It started burning oil so it now has the 705 piston. I also have a new single-track alongside my road.

The 705 seems to REALLY like to rev and it's pretty sweet on faster rural roads. Conversely, on my little bit of lumpy single-track, I'm slipping the clutch the whole way but still blasting too fast through the trees. High rpm is SO nice with the 705, but low-rpm response is a little catchy (did the KLX needle and leaner jet very early).

Seems obvious to me going back to 15t or even to 14t would be an improvement at all speeds if I just let it rev. I'm hoping someone can tell me if revving the 705 causes the same wear and ovalization as revving the original piston and sleeve.

Thanks.
The 685 and 688 piston is lighter than stock. The 658 and 705 are lighter than either. Even less vibration and quicker rev. Running higher revs is no problem. While the clutch is pretty robust on the KLR it can get glazed/burned if abused too much. If your level adjustment suddenly changes while slipping its time to back off...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #3760
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
The 685 and 688 piston is lighter than stock. The 658 and 705 are lighter than either. Even less vibration and quicker rev. Running higher revs is no problem. While the clutch is pretty robust on the KLR it can get glazed/burned if abused too much. If your level adjustment suddenly changes while slipping its time to back off...

Out of curiosity, what is the mileage with the 705? Are you saving any gas, burning substantially more? etc.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #3761
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the mileage with the 705? Are you saving any gas, burning substantially more? etc.
If you're asking me, you'll have to wait. A full tank at the end of break-in (no constant throttle) was 51 mpg with the side cases just 1" narrower than the OEM handlebars. I'll have a normal-throttle fill-up today. The bike suffers from a very enthusiastic right wrist.

EDIT:

Grinnin screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 05:47 AM
Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #3762
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Cool2

Sorry guy's been a bit busy getting everything home from up Nord....
I'll answer the gas question first.... if ya open up the airbox and fatten her up she'll drink a good bit. But with 4-1" holes, snorkle gone etc... and pretty lean/mean jetting I get near 40MPG when I can keep her under 5,000rpm on sustained loooonng days, without head winds and such. I can get her down into the upper 20's if I run her into the mid 80's all day bucking headwinds noo prob.

So your results will vary...

As for all the engines... not sure I wanted to use the smiley face but I might as well laugh, otherwise I'd scowl or cry and I don't like to do that EVER!
The way that I ride cross country all the time.... just happens to NOT agree with a thumper!
Guy's ride em around the world all the time etc.. etc... BUT they don't ride WFO all day every day which is pretty much how I ride. I believe thee ol' thumper just beats itself to death over the duration of 500-1,000mi days over and over and over. Desiree' has logged more than 62,000mi in two yrs and her average speed is probably higher than most folks top speed on most days.

I believe I'm back to the realization that if I'm gonna keep doing these long slogs.... I'm gonna need a twin.

If I could stay within the PNW (but I have to cross the US to get there twice a year) doing shorter rides and then the forest roads and trails she'd live. Of course I'd have to sloooow down a bit on the slab.

So it basically comes down to me and my hyperactive nature. This bike isn't hyperactive but I ride her like she is.
I've got a fun thing planned at the end of my current Ride Report (HighAdventureTour2012: From Insanity and Beyond) which will change things drastically for Me, Desiree' and someone else.

Stay tuned to it if ya wanna find out.............
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #3763
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
Expect same mileage as you would from a stock engine. Mileage is based on right wrist...expect mid 40's to low 50's.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #3764
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Jettn Jim,

Thanks for replying about the 3 engines. Makes sense running long distance high speed on a thumper you would burn through them more than the commute and trail riding. What twins have you thought about?

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #3765
FJracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Question Lost All Power on 09 KLR

Lost All Power going up a hill after downshifting to 4th before the curve and hill. No gears will pull. Did see Neutral Light when down shifting after stopped. Is this the dreaded Doo-Hickey Sydrome? Bike is stock with 23,000 miles. Heard absolutely no grinding or distress coming from clutch/tranny. Just in permanent Neutral.
FJracer is offline   Reply With Quote