Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #3827
waterboybueche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
rear shock upgrade

Here it is kids...

I am 6'2" and 270 lbs without gear... When I had my KLR, I was 310 lbs...

I had a 2005 KLR, loved and hated it.

Hated on the freeway, hardpacked dirt roads over 25 MPH. or anything over 50 miles per hour...
I always felt that the front tire was gonna wash out and felt like the rear was hammered down from my weight. I installed EM rising dogbones.

This is for all the big guys who are similiar to my size...

How many of you are my size and rode stock, THEN purchased a shock that was able to handle your weight?
Did you notice a huge difference in the "safety" feeling of the bike?

I got blown around so much I SOLD the bike....

I was gonna go to the Wee and also thought about building a street bike with SOME gravel road capability, BUT I really like the KLR's simplicity and following... I am not a mechanic and not rich... I wanna be able to ride 30-100 miles, head off on some dirt trails, forest roads then head home without whining and crying about how unsafe I feel....

With the low price of a gently used KLR and maybe some suspension work, can I be happy??? NOT gonna do crazy stuff offroad, not gonna do Alaska and not wanting some hi tech motorcycle payment either...

I had a friend who knows alot about bikes a couple years ago. He never complained about his KLR, he was tall but skinny... He rode EVERYWHERE and I literally gone on the freeway and OFF at the next exit. It took a couple days for the seat to be released from my ass...

Please give me your honest opinion and your best advice.

Thanks and be safe out there...
waterboybueche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #3828
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,021
Setting up a bikes suspension is what can make you a quicker rider. Most race bikes don't have the money poured into the powertrain, it's always into the suspension. When the bike can respond to your weight is when you become more comfortable with riding it.

If your bike isn't feel like it's handling how it should, then you should focus on the suspension and the tread you are using.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #3829
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
So after the verbose intro can someone point me towards a detailed rebuild report so I can at least brace myself for the unseen? I've searched and haven't turned up anything covering the whole process.
Thanks guys!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699117

Here's one I did with some pictures to keep you entertained.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #3830
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
SLULTRA from Nova electronics. http://www.strobesnmore.com/Nova-Wid...LTRA-LEDs.html Super bright, flash patterns nearly guarantee the bimbo on the cell phone behind you will see when you brake! I have one on each of my KLRs.
That is a great device. Where did you mount yours? Any pictures?
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #3831
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboybueche View Post
Here it is kids...

I am 6'2" and 270 lbs without gear... When I had my KLR, I was 310 lbs...

I had a friend who knows alot about bikes a couple years ago. He never complained about his KLR, he was tall but skinny... He rode EVERYWHERE and I literally gone on the freeway and OFF at the next exit. It took a couple days for the seat to be released from my ass...

Please give me your honest opinion and your best advice.

Thanks and be safe out there...
I was 230 lbs when I bought my 2009 KLR and I am 6'1". It took some time to get adjusted to the wind and buffeting from highway travel. The wind hits me in the upper chest area with the stock windshield. I have 20K miles on my bike with many 80 mph freeway rides too. It takes time, practice, and faith to get through the blown feeling on the road and the looseness of a gravel road. Just keep on going and learn from others.

The first 6 months that I had my bike the rear shock preload was on the factory setting of one (out of five). Changing that made a big difference in handling especially over 50 mph and on the highway. The preload is set at four now. I also adjusted the rebound setting to 1/2 turn CCW which always it the reset faster. Also check your bike's suspension sag on whatever bike you get. I am no pro on this but I think a rule of thumb is 30% when seated on the bike or about 2 inches. Chime in if anyone else has more experience with this.
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #3832
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...d.php?t=699117

Here's one I did with some pictures to keep you entertained.
Much appreciated! I really like the idea of a lighter piston but not the over of all the machining involved, was the kit you picked up a 650?
2012 Masi CX SS
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #3833
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 220
i know i posted these before, but for you wondering about the LED dash stuff, i got some cheap LED's off ebay that worked out well. cant make any claims based on watts, but they are low.

Dash + N

Just Dash

Dash + N + HB (blinding....)

all using green LED's

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #3834
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Much appreciated! I really like the idea of a lighter piston but not the over of all the machining involved, was the kit you picked up a 650?
Yes. The Woessner pistons are for stock bores and +1, etc. If your bore is good in theory you can just get a Woessner piston and ring set (they all come together, piston, rings, wrist pin, and circlips), put it in and call it good. That's what I did. It is far cheaper than buying a complete OEM set, since you can't buy just the rings, unless you have the newest edition of the piston.

I am burning a little oil, only very little, not enough to even notice except when I had to pull apart the top end to replace those gawd awful Tusk gaskets. That's my fault and not the bike. I knew it was a risk when I did the work, but was willing to gamble. However, since it is burning so little oil, I do consider it a success.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #3835
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

I really like how this bike turned out, http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=12442

It no longer has that homely look, ya know?

I'll be ditching the current fairing & silly wind shield in favor of a DIY rally type fairing to gain some off road ability back. Some guy from South America did a great job just using PVC and a heat gun, I've lost the link but if anyone know's the bike I'm talking about post up!
I'd say what's on there looks really good and already is a DIY rally type fairing. But nothing about a fairing is going to help the bike's offroad ability.
He's from LA and I think that's fibreglass:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678825
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #3836
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
I'd say what's on there looks really good and already is a DIY rally type fairing. But nothing about a fairing is going to help the bike's offroad ability.
He's from LA and I think that's fibreglass:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678825
Thanks for finding that thread! He makes fiberglassing a custom fairing sound so easy, we'll see about that.

I don't know if you're mistaken but my bike is the green one in the post before. Right now it has the factory fairing which I'm sick of looking at plus the tallest windscreen you can get. Its fair on the highway but horrible on the trail, too much unsupported weight bouncing around and too close to my trachea
2012 Masi CX SS
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #3837
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
KLR removable top case
I wanted a top case that I could easily remove. Started with a Seahorse case.
Ordered some powerful magnets

Mounted the magnets to the Seahorse

Made a mounting plate

The case sticks like it is bolted on, but comes off easily. Tested extensively. No fails.

Added a battery powered led that lights once a predetermined angle is reached.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #3838
kiln
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eh? KLR650 FMF Power Bomb advantages/disadvantages

Is there any riders on the Forum that has an FMF Powerbomb installed and what is the advantages or disadvantages?
Is the mod any good?
kiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #3839
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
My KLR mods are the following:

Doohickey with torsion spring.
KLX needle
Blue LED's for Dash Backlighting
Milk crate on the rear rack
Happy Trails skid plate
3/16" thick 6061-T6 aluminum bash plate to cover that spot between the bottom of the rad and the top of the HT skidplate. This is a piece I made at work.
1/4" 316L stainless 4.5" lifting links. Another part made at work.

I run a CNC laser burntable, so I can make nearly anything for the KLR, and if I use scrap pieces it doesn't cost anything. My next project will be a chain guide.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #3840
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
Is there any riders on the Forum that has an FMF Powerbomb installed and what is the advantages or disadvantages?
Is the mod any good?
I've had one on one of my KLR. Currently run a stock and Leo Vince on two of my KLR's. I ride the KLR's too much to bother with repacking with the FMF. Leo Vince doesn't require it and got tired of the noise of the FMF. Proper jetting and the stock can is surprisingly pretty good. Aftermarket gives you a bit more liveliness with throttle response. Didn't appreciate the backyard solution FMF does to the KLR pipe application for fitment...large dent on inside of pipe. Power bomb is a nice looking header and I never found the need for a heat shield.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote