Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #4036
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoldWV View Post

FCR 37 MX Carb w/ T-4 slip on. Good throttle response and torque.

Main Fuel: 170
Pilot Fuel: 42
Start Jet: 72
Leak Jet: 60
Pilot air: 75
Main air: 200
OBELP Needle 5th clip.
Has QuickShot2 installed as well.
I like it.

Do you any further details about the install? Also, why did you go with the 37mm versus the 41 or 39mm, which are the more common sizes for a 650cc engine?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #4037
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I like it.

Do you any further details about the install? Also, why did you go with the 37mm versus the 41 or 39mm, which are the more common sizes for a 650cc engine?
I had to make the intake manifold spacer. It was made on CNC mill; 6061 aluminum. It is 0.800" long; 0.850" might make for better fit. Had to carve out the starter some and the bowl on the carb. Also, shortened the stock air boot and used 1/16" Nitrile lapped three layers to build the end to fit onto the carb; used some nitrile adhesive. The orange stuff is duct tape holding it together while the adhesive cures.

I went with 37 mm because I had it from a bike I parted out, and I am not a fan of CV carbs. I thought it would be good to show it could be done as an option. I was looking for better throttle response and some better bottom end. I got that out of it; at least it feels that way.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #4038
VascoMerlin OP
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
Heidenau K60 Scout

I know there are 1,000's of tire threads here, but since I created this thread:

I just installed the Heidenau K60 Scouts on my KLR, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with both the on-road and off-road (sandy Pine Barrens) capabilities.

I can't wait to see how they hold up, but from what I hear from our customers, 12,000mi is possible. Big difference from the D606's I took off at 3,500mi.

www.revzilla.com
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #4039
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I checked out a pic of the Heidenau K60s since I had never heard of them before. The tread pattern seems eerily close to the MEFO explorers, which I thought were fine on road but totally worthless off road under any conditions. I have 606s on now, I think they stink on road and aren't any better than T63s off road. As soon as these 606s are done I am going back to the Michelins. Cheap, good all around performance. Soft compound means they don't last long but I think that is one of the things that lets them bridge that on/off road gap....
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #4040
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I checked out a pic of the Heidenau K60s since I had never heard of them before. The tread pattern seems eerily close to the MEFO explorers, which I thought were fine on road but totally worthless off road under any conditions. I have 606s on now, I think they stink on road and aren't any better than T63s off road. As soon as these 606s are done I am going back to the Michelins. Cheap, good all around performance. Soft compound means they don't last long but I think that is one of the things that lets them bridge that on/off road gap....
I think the mefos and heidis are made at the same plant.They are both from Germany.
I ran a set of mefos years ago and was not impressed.
I think they are too hard to have good performance,thats why they last so long.I suspect the Heidis may be similar.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #4041
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I thought they looked really similar. I did like the MEFOs on the road, but that was it... Thanks for the confirmation
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #4042
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
for me the K60 rear is a 5.5-6.5k tire. Front a bit longer. Definitely not 12k for me. I did really like the tire and would have put another rear on. Might have tried the TKC up front next time.

That's what I like about tires. Your not marrying them, just dating!

fwiw
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4043
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I want to know how you like those K60 Scouts.

I HAVE to use a 606 (or some other pretty aggressive tire) on front as if I do not have some sort of knobs up there I tend to push the front tire in corners which makes me soil my Fruit of the Looms.

I usually only get about 1200 on fronts as I brake to hard on pavement with them and toast the knobs. Rears are like you mentioned about 3500-4K.

On the rear I tend to get about 5-6 if non knobby, depending on what tire I am running. I recently had the weirdest rear tire encounter I or any of my buddies have ever seen.

I had a GP110 IRC on it and although it had only a little over 4k on it I had to replace it cause it started eating tubes. Seems I had flexed the tire so many times that the fibers on the inside of it broke right adjacent to where the knobs on the outside flex the sidewalls. Although the fibers felt real soft and prett smooth, when flexed they sort of open up the tear of fibers on the inside of the tire and as they go back into the normal shape it sort of munches the tube....just like an old Pacman game.

Had a flat on one ride, replaced the tube by the side of the road (thought it was a pinch flat by the looks of it) and it only lasted a little over 150 miles before it too was trashed.

Unfortunately, I had another GP110 in the shed in preperation for when this one wore out. For the first time in my life I can now see a use for heavy duty tubes, and that is what I put in there, hoping this new one will last for the FULL length of the tread.

I meant to do a write up and warn others and hope this is not a common issue with these tires but it sure soured me on the IRC's!

At any rate keep us advised as to how your new tires wear and how you like the traction (or lack of it) on those new Heidenau's.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #4044
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,611
I was only gonna see 4,000 on the K60 rear before it was toast... only 1,000 more than my 606's. Sooo not gonna do that again, the guys pulling the high miles are using the wider 150/ series with the center strip.
Flip your 606 (or T-63 for that matter) front around at the halfway worn point and get double the miles!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4045
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
I want to know how you like those K60 Scouts.

I HAVE to use a 606 (or some other pretty aggressive tire) on front as if I do not have some sort of knobs up there I tend to push the front tire in corners which makes me soil my Fruit of the Looms.

I usually only get about 1200 on fronts as I brake to hard on pavement with them and toast the knobs. Rears are like you mentioned about 3500-4K.

On the rear I tend to get about 5-6 if non knobby, depending on what tire I am running. I recently had the weirdest rear tire encounter I or any of my buddies have ever seen.

I had a GP110 IRC on it and although it had only a little over 4k on it I had to replace it cause it started eating tubes. Seems I had flexed the tire so many times that the fibers on the inside of it broke right adjacent to where the knobs on the outside flex the sidewalls. Although the fibers felt real soft and prett smooth, when flexed they sort of open up the tear of fibers on the inside of the tire and as they go back into the normal shape it sort of munches the tube....just like an old Pacman game.

Had a flat on one ride, replaced the tube by the side of the road (thought it was a pinch flat by the looks of it) and it only lasted a little over 150 miles before it too was trashed.

Unfortunately, I had another GP110 in the shed in preperation for when this one wore out. For the first time in my life I can now see a use for heavy duty tubes, and that is what I put in there, hoping this new one will last for the FULL length of the tread.

I meant to do a write up and warn others and hope this is not a common issue with these tires but it sure soured me on the IRC's!

At any rate keep us advised as to how your new tires wear and how you like the traction (or lack of it) on those new Heidenau's.
Have you tried the front MT21? I like them much better that 606 fronts in all terrain.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #4046
Dblarrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
705's

Did the Alaska trip with the Shinko 705's on the rear. Just over 7500 miles. Did 140/80 on my 650 and did the 130/90 on the 250 - sized up. Only real dirt was the Campbell Hwy. I was overly happy with the tires.

edit - guess I should mention, I did get something to tear a hole in the tire on the Campbell which caused me to bite it. After wearing a hole in the new tube I put a patch on the inside of the tire and she worked great for the rest of the trip.
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #4047
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Have you tried the front MT21? I like them much better that 606 fronts in all terrain.
I like the MT21 up front a lot.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #4048
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblarrow View Post
Did the Alaska trip with the Shinko 705's on the rear. Just over 7500 miles. Did 140/80 on my 650 and did the 130/90 on the 250 - sized up. Only real dirt was the Campbell Hwy. I was overly happy with the tires.

edit - guess I should mention, I did get something to tear a hole in the tire on the Campbell which caused me to bite it. After wearing a hole in the new tube I put a patch on the inside of the tire and she worked great for the rest of the trip.
705 fan as well. I had a set pretty well worn down and rode in some mud/slick conditions as well as leaf covered dirt. Didn't have any issues. Mileage and performance for the price is good.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #4049
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. 705's would be my go-to tire for general use and bang-for-the-buck value .. just like the KLR, they can handle a WIDE range of uses and do surprisingly well .. I have used them on long highway trips and for bombing through the trails in the Smokies and never had a hiccup with them .. again, I was pretty surprised what they can dig through with a little airing down .. air them back up and they behave very well through the twisties and on the highway at 70mph ..

.. but if your hitting anything "more aggressive" the 606s and the T63s are awesome .. but, you won't get the mileage out of them like you can with some 705s ..

.. admittedly, I have never tried the Hen's or Gripsters .. never felt a need to ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #4050
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 268
I started my KLR650 life with the Shinko/Golden Boy 705's, I didnt like how they behaved in gravel. Then, up front, I went to a Metzler Karoo and was happier even though they make a sound like a police siren. Maybe I lost 1000 miles of wear in the change. Last week I put on a T63 and like it better than the Karoo.
Its mostly a backroad commuter with 3 miles of dirt, but onces or three times a year I'll go on a dualsport adventure for 1000 miles or so.
My dislike of the 705's may have stemmed from my inexperience in the dirt.