User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #811
Johnny West
Mitzi - "tire-hugger"

Oddometer: 431
Thx for the reply WP!

I've met Tom a few times, and have a KLXc front end, w/ triples, wheel, brakes, and also a spare set of triples from a klr. I've seen it done w/ shims galore...... I think i'll try getting in touch w/ him.

thx again, much appreciated!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
JW

Yes TOM (AKA. holycaveman) Did the work for me. I bought a used set of tripples off a KLR and sent him both sets KLX and KLR and he has his machine shop do the work...

I really didn't do a write up because I am pretty lazy... was pretty streight forward as you know..

The work was excellent and turned out really well... As for preformance........ and I am like the whole time I am riding it.

will probably get some new spring for the front that are better suited for my weight at some point.

Waiting for my MOAB shock to get done and shipped......

WP
"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."
T.E. Lawrence
--In Memory of the Party Boss--
Johnny West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #812
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
JW,

Yea I am getting the real deal.. not the ADV version.

I am going to get with Rick sometime to get some springs for the front. I got a wad tied up in the conversion and the MOAB shock. So it might be a while before I can do it.

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #813
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny West View Post
Thx for the reply WP!

I've met Tom a few times, and have a KLXc front end, w/ triples, wheel, brakes, and also a spare set of triples from a klr. I've seen it done w/ shims galore...... I think i'll try getting in touch w/ him.

thx again, much appreciated!
John

If you got all the parts its worth it. His price is really good for the work and its top notch.......

WP
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #814
Johnny West
Mitzi - "tire-hugger"

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
If you got all the parts its worth it. His price is really good for the work and its top notch.......

WP
I did the same as you, bought a KLX,[this one had auto comp release failure, derailed cam chain, broke a cam gear, i think i paid $550] kept the front end etc, and sold the rest. [got the $550 + back already]
Still have some of the parts I need to unload....... I watched your video, and got an impression of the improved suspension, but was wondering about the braking.... how much of an improvement did you notice w/ it?

I'm heading to Tom's site now, thx again WP!
http://www.cavemanriders.com/forum/
"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."
T.E. Lawrence
--In Memory of the Party Boss--
Johnny West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #815
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Talking

Quote:
JW,

Yea I am getting the real deal.. not the ADV version.

I am going to get with Rick sometime to get some springs for the front. I got a wad tied up in the conversion and the MOAB shock. So it might be a while before I can do it.

WP
He has a long travel version of the Moab. On my bike it gave me 10" of travel. That better matched the front
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #816
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny West View Post
I did the same as you, bought a KLX,[this one had auto comp release failure, derailed cam chain, broke a cam gear, i think i paid $550] kept the front end etc, and sold the rest. [got the $550 + back already]
Still have some of the parts I need to unload....... I watched your video, and got an impression of the improved suspension, but was wondering about the braking.... how much of an improvement did you notice w/ it?

I'm heading to Tom's site now, thx again WP!
http://www.cavemanriders.com/forum/
I think that the over all gain it a plus.... Braking is really good... I need to find a solution for the Front Master Cyl. because the R model didn't have a brake light switch. Working on that one.

Yes the gain is good..... plus with the next gen Rear brake on the back.. I am good to go....errr stop...

You won't regret the UpGrade...

WP
Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #817
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
He has a long travel version of the Moab. On my bike it gave me 10" of travel. That better matched the front
Man... Don't know if I got the LONG travel or not... Hmmmmm.... I know I got the MOAB and I told them I rode it like most people ride a KTM... May have to call.. Should be ready to ship any time now...

WP
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #818
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,945
So I am doing the fork swap, and to save some time, effort, and cash was looking at getting a Vapor speedo. Is this something that an average home mechanic that can follow directions can install? Comparable to the E/M Doo??

I am thinking of going with the triple mount system, and getting the turn signal indicator dash. I have a local shop lined up to do the fabing, and they want a pretty penny for the dash mount fabrication, so I was thinking that I would save a couple bucks and get the Enduro Vapor. Then just mount the fairing up..

Any tips would be welcomed...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #819
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
no specific tips here, sounds to me like you got it! goes on pretty easy, works, takes some time to get used to!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #820
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Installing the vapor is pretty easy. Just make sure you get one with the pickup for thr forks you have. I really like mine and works really well.. I am thinking about getting one of their GPS units.. that is freaking cool.

WP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
So I am doing the fork swap, and to save some time, effort, and cash was looking at getting a Vapor speedo. Is this something that an average home mechanic that can follow directions can install? Comparable to the E/M Doo??

I am thinking of going with the triple mount system, and getting the turn signal indicator dash. I have a local shop lined up to do the fabing, and they want a pretty penny for the dash mount fabrication, so I was thinking that I would save a couple bucks and get the Enduro Vapor. Then just mount the fairing up..

Any tips would be welcomed...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #821
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Man... Don't know if I got the LONG travel or not... Hmmmmm.... I know I got the MOAB and I told them I rode it like most people ride a KTM... May have to call.. Should be ready to ship any time now...

WP

That's pretty much the same thing I told them. Told them I had RMZ forks up front and that I rode it pretty hard. I don't have an engine in my frame yet (doing a frame up build) but I believe I got a long travel. My seat height measures out to 39 inches right now.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #822
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a pic of mine, just for the drool factor.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #823
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Hey Brandon.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Here is a pic of mine, just for the drool factor.

BTW
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #824
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Brandon.......

Jealousy is such an ugly thing.

Hey, at least you can ride yours. I more or less have a frame with some cool shit bolted to it and no engine. All I can really do is look at mine and think about what it might be like to ride it one day, and then go flog the Strom a little.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #825
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Yes it is..... LOL.. I can't wait to get my shock though...