ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #826
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Yes it is..... LOL.. I can't wait to get my shock though...

It took them three weeks to build mine. When I first called and ordered they told me two. They were waiting on some parts to come in so that they could finish it up. That was about a month ago. When they shipped it, I had it the next day. It will come Fedex and requires a signature.
__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #827
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Some pics of my junk so far, just because.


































__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #828
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
SInce you have the bike torn down you might want to go ahead and upgrade the foot peg mounting points.... Mine stripped out and caused me issues.

Just easier to do it now before you get all the added weight.....

Here is a cool and easy method if you are a member of KLRworld and if you own a KLR you should be.... Lots of good people and good info.... and they won't change your links if you link to another fourm like another KLR site that I won't mention...
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #829
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Some pics of my junk so far, just because.


































Is that a stock rearl wheel?
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #830
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
SInce you have the bike torn down you might want to go ahead and upgrade the foot peg mounting points.... Mine stripped out and caused me issues.

Just easier to do it now before you get all the added weight.....

Here is a cool and easy method if you are a member of KLRworld and if you own a KLR you should be.... Lots of good people and good info.... and they won't change your links if you link to another fourm like another KLR site that I won't mention...
I put some flanged 12.9 grade bolts in there to beef it up some. When I had my last KLR I sheared off my right side peg mounting bolts on a big rock at the first ever TdT, or maybe it was the second. I don't remember now.

Yep, it's a stock wheel from an 06. It has a Supersrox hybrid sprocket and a Galfer wave rotor on it.

I have been a member at KLRWorld since the beginning, or should I say the big bang? I drop in there from time to time to see what's going on and check in on a few folks that I know, but I make my home at 650.net. That was where I first started out on the forums, met a lot of good folks, and still have friends there. There was also some behind the scenes stuff that went on that brought me to that decision as well.
__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #831
Lowzero2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Some pics of my junk so far, just because.


































Nice. Forks setup looks awesome.

What is the rear brake cover from and what is the front fender from?
__________________
1996 BMW R850R
2006 CBR600RR
Lowzero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #832
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
Thats is cool.. I really like the way that sprocket looks. Is that a 43? I run a 47 tooth..

As far as .net goes I am sure there are many good folks on there but the mods like to act like they are the only game in town and if you mention anyother fourm they will shut you down. I posted a link to a ride I was putting together on here and they changed my link to something else. I guess its their pond and they don't want you pissing in it. I just don't agree with their methods...... I mean Hondo posts on here and doesn't seem to mind if you link to ADV or anywhere else he gets it.

Anyway.... I just choose not to go there....

WP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I put some flanged 12.9 grade bolts in there to beef it up some. When I had my last KLR I sheared off my right side peg mounting bolts on a big rock at the first ever TdT, or maybe it was the second. I don't remember now.

Yep, it's a stock wheel from an 06. It has a Supersrox hybrid sprocket and a Galfer wave rotor on it.

I have been a member at KLRWorld since the beginning, or should I say the big bang? I drop in there from time to time to see what's going on and check in on a few folks that I know, but I make my home at 650.net. That was where I first started out on the forums, met a lot of good folks, and still have friends there. There was also some behind the scenes stuff that went on that brought me to that decision as well.
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #833
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowzero2 View Post

What is the rear brake cover from and what is the front fender from?
The master cylinder guard is a stock piece from a DRZ400. I had it left lying around from a 400 that I parted so I decided to see if I could make it work. I really like it. It's much beefier than the aftermarket ones you can buy for the KLR and it looks like it came from the factory with it.

The fender is a Polisport UFX Freeflow. I had to drill holes in it to get it to mount to the RMZ triple, but it has vents already cut in it for air flow to the radiator. That's something a lot of aftermarket fenders don't have.
__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #834
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Thats is cool.. I really like the way that sprocket looks. Is that a 43? I run a 47 tooth..

As far as .net goes I am sure there are many good folks on there but the mods like to act like they are the only game in town and if you mention anyother fourm they will shut you down. I posted a link to a ride I was putting together on here and they changed my link to something else. I guess its their pond and they don't want you pissing in it. I just don't agree with their methods...... I mean Hondo posts on here and doesn't seem to mind if you link to ADV or anywhere else he gets it.

Anyway.... I just choose not to go there....

WP

Yeah, it's a 43 tooth. I found that I like to stay with a stock rear and change the front depending on the ride intended. With it having an aluminum center section it's lighter than a all steel sprocket by about a pound. That's unsprung weight - a very good thing to lose.

On the forum thing.

While I don't agree with some of the changes that have been made at .net over the last few years, it is ultimately Glenn's house and he can run it anyway he see's fit. We as users don't have to like it, but we do have to abide by those rules if we want to play in said house. A lot of folks have chosen not to for various reasons and moved on. I can't fault them for that. In the end it is the user that decides where they want to spend their time on the forums, and they will frequent where there is good info and good folks. When you don't allow links, you are taking away from the info available. I believe that the current policies at .net are hurting the site and if allowed to continue, will ultimately be it's death. But what do I know?

I have no problem with Hondo or his site. Like I said, I am a member there as well and I drop in every so often just to see what's going on, but I stay primarily on 650.net. I do find KLRWorld harder to use the way it's laid out, but I guess that's just a personal preference. I find the simple layout at 650.net friendlier and easier to use.

I do miss the days of their just being one KLR site where everyone was instead of the three we have now with everyone spread out amongst them. Things were livelier. It seems with everyone spread out like they are now, all three forums move at a snails pace.

Just my opinion. You know what they say about them.
__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #835
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
I am with you brother... yes its dudes fourm and he can run it how he chooses... Oh well... no worries.

I come here for the social part and there for the tech....

WP..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Yeah, it's a 43 tooth. I found that I like to stay with a stock rear and change the front depending on the ride intended. With it having an aluminum center section it's lighter than a all steel sprocket by about a pound. That's unsprung weight - a very good thing to lose.

On the forum thing.

While I don't agree with some of the changes that have been made at .net over the last few years, it is ultimately Glenn's house and he can run it anyway he see's fit. We as users don't have to like it, but we do have to abide by those rules if we want to play in said house. A lot of folks have chosen not to for various reasons and moved on. I can't fault them for that. In the end it is the user that decides where they want to spend their time on the forums, and they will frequent where there is good info and good folks. When you don't allow links, you are taking away from the info available. I believe that the current policies at .net are hurting the site and if allowed to continue, will ultimately be it's death. But what do I know?

I have no problem with Hondo or his site. Like I said, I am a member there as well and I drop in every so often just to see what's going on, but I stay primarily on 650.net. I do find KLRWorld harder to use the way it's laid out, but I guess that's just a personal preference. I find the simple layout at 650.net friendlier and easier to use.

I do miss the days of their just being one KLR site where everyone was instead of the three we have now with everyone spread out amongst them. Things were livelier. It seems with everyone spread out like they are now, all three forums move at a snails pace.

Just my opinion. You know what they say about them.
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #836
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowzero2 View Post
Nice. Forks setup looks awesome.

What is the rear brake cover from and what is the front fender from?
Just stole the Brake Cover idea.... Thank you ebay...LOL... Been looking for a solution and never been impressed with the ones out there.....

wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #837
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, TN
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Just stole the Brake Cover idea.... Thank you ebay...LOL... Been looking for a solution and never been impressed with the ones out there.....


Just so you know, it ain't a straight bolt on. The mounting holes are centered correctly but you have to open them up some, I think to 10mm. There is a little piece you'll have to trim off at the front edge so that it'll mount up flat, and on the back edge where it kinda wraps around the back of the master cylinder you'll have to trim a bit to make clearance for the brake line.

It's about a 15 or 20 minute job with a drill and a Dremel, or about 5 minutes with a drill and a pneumatic cut off wheel.
__________________
Current Rides
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2002 KLR - Not quite a stocker.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #838
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Just so you know, it ain't a straight bolt on. The mounting holes are centered correctly but you have to open them up some, I think to 10mm. There is a little piece you'll have to trim off at the front edge so that it'll mount up flat, and on the back edge where it kinda wraps around the back of the master cylinder you'll have to trim a bit to make clearance for the brake line.

It's about a 15 or 20 minute job with a drill and a Dremel, or about 5 minutes with a drill and a pneumatic cut off wheel.

No worries.... Will get it going... Thanks for the info though..
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #839
wparkinson
Gear Whore
 
wparkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Down On the Farm...
Oddometer: 2,070
Just got a fed-x notification.... Cogent Dynamics is sending me a nice little gift..... Ooooooo I can't wait...

I am also working in a mod for the Oil drain plug.... As some of you may know I busted my case last year...


019 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr


028 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Well I got that fixed...

Then in October I was in VA riding Taskers Gap... even with a skid plate I slid over a rock and hit the drain plug again. Well in doing so it loosened and came loose on the trail. My buddy behind me flagged me down (thank you clfless).

Well I found some info about a super low profile solution.... (yes it came from .net)

I ordered a couple to see if they will work out.... I will let you know how it works...

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #840
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 5,006
YZ 450 Forks and triples are in.

Let the serious spending of cash begin.

Gotta get the Vapor.....

These things are freaking HUGE when compared to the stock forks...

And I am not worrying about the brakes. The YZ brake is the same size, but with a twin pot caliper. I think (someone can correct me if I am wrong) that this should offer the same, or better really, braking as the stock.

I think I may save myself some cash and leave it alone.

New seals, a heavier oil, and that's all I am planning on doing...

What says the collective?
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014