Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #901
mikeash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
awesome

did you have to fit a pre 08 radiator to get the tank to fit?

any particular reason that you removed the airbox?

more photos would be nice

My radiator issue is not completely resolved yet, but it's perfectly rideable as is. The tabs for the stock fan hit the tank, so I chucked the stock fan. I bent the tabs in toward the frame and made some aluminum L brackets. I am using a 240 cfm Delta brand computer fan at the moment wired with a manual switch. I won't know until summer if it's sufficient, but when I let the bike get to 210 degrees and switched on the fan it pulled down to 185 degrees. It pushes the hot air out the vents on the IMS tank.

I am probably going to make some two inch lowering tabs for the radiator, because I still need about a quarter inch clearance.

As for the airbox, I just wanted to see if it was viable. It's big, ugly, heavy, and mainly I wanted easy access to everything on the bike.

I did the 22 cent mod, drilled the slide and opened up the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb to 2 turns. I also did away with the exhaust recirculating contraption. When I first ran it, I was getting a bit of a flat spot at higher rpm just before shifts (lean condition), but great acceleration otherwise. I found a plastic bottle that fit perfectly inside the UNI filter and cut it to fit the length, leaving the bottom of the bottle intact. I then drilled about 30 quarter inch holes on one half. With this inside the filter, there are no more flat spots and acceleration is smooth with no pop on decel.

I might make a shroud for the bottom half of the filter for a bit more water protection, but after 160 miles last weekend (ranging from 2700 feet to 7000 feet above sea level) I am happy with the results. After a failed river crossing last year that ended up about 3 feet deep, I am much more careful about knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I did not need the airbox battery tray, because I went with the 1 pound Lithium Iron Phosphate battery which I mounted on the left side of the subframe along with a radiator overflow bottle made from a plastic RC car fuel cell.
mikeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #902
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeash View Post
My radiator issue is not completely resolved yet, but it's perfectly rideable as is. The tabs for the stock fan hit the tank, so I chucked the stock fan. I bent the tabs in toward the frame and made some aluminum L brackets. I am using a 240 cfm Delta brand computer fan at the moment wired with a manual switch. I won't know until summer if it's sufficient, but when I let the bike get to 210 degrees and switched on the fan it pulled down to 185 degrees. It pushes the hot air out the vents on the IMS tank.

I am probably going to make some two inch lowering tabs for the radiator, because I still need about a quarter inch clearance.

As for the airbox, I just wanted to see if it was viable. It's big, ugly, heavy, and mainly I wanted easy access to everything on the bike.

I did the 22 cent mod, drilled the slide and opened up the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb to 2 turns. I also did away with the exhaust recirculating contraption. When I first ran it, I was getting a bit of a flat spot at higher rpm just before shifts (lean condition), but great acceleration otherwise. I found a plastic bottle that fit perfectly inside the UNI filter and cut it to fit the length, leaving the bottom of the bottle intact. I then drilled about 30 quarter inch holes on one half. With this inside the filter, there are no more flat spots and acceleration is smooth with no pop on decel.

I might make a shroud for the bottom half of the filter for a bit more water protection, but after 160 miles last weekend (ranging from 2700 feet to 7000 feet above sea level) I am happy with the results. After a failed river crossing last year that ended up about 3 feet deep, I am much more careful about knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I did not need the airbox battery tray, because I went with the 1 pound Lithium Iron Phosphate battery which I mounted on the left side of the subframe along with a radiator overflow bottle made from a plastic RC car fuel cell.
I'd love to see what you had to do to fit up the KTM shock!!

How much re-working of the mounting points?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #903
mikeash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I got the KTM shock off ebay for 50 bucks, then had it rebuilt with a heavier spring.

To mount it on the KLR you have to pull the bushings out of the top and drill them out to accept the stock top bolt. You also have to mill off 1mm on each side.

For the bottom you need to make or have made a bushing that has 5mm inside diameter and 10mm outside diameter. If I remember right it was 35mm wide. That allows you to use the stock KTM bottom bolt.

The problem I ran into was the reservoir on the shock was only 1/2 inch from the chain, so I cut it off. Then I drilled and tapped to connect a remote reservoir.

I know there are many people who would say just buy a Cogent Dynamics shock and be done with it, but one of the main reasons I love the KLR is that you can really make it your own. The possibilities are endless, and the only time you see two that are alike is if they're bone stock.

This whole process was really me getting to know my bike, getting my hands dirty, and coming up with a KLR that I could personally be proud of.
mikeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #904
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Just got a fed-x notification.... Cogent Dynamics is sending me a nice little gift..... Ooooooo I can't wait...

I am also working in a mod for the Oil drain plug.... As some of you may know I busted my case last year...

019 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

028 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Well I got that fixed...

Then in October I was in VA riding Taskers Gap... even with a skid plate I slid over a rock and hit the drain plug again. Well in doing so it loosened and came loose on the trail. My buddy behind me flagged me down (thank you clfless).

Well I found some info about a super low profile solution.... (yes it came from .net)

I ordered a couple to see if they will work out.... I will let you know how it works...

WP
Ok... well a little update....

I got the plug I wanted to try and so far so good.... Here are a few pics...

165 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

163 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

When installing the plug the little O ring peeled off but I haven't had any leakage since I upt it on. Probably going to change the oil soon so will see how it works out....

I really like the way it turned out.

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #905
Davos9901
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
free windscreen mod

original visor
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #906
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

fitting and trimming
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #907
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

trim
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #908
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

fitting
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #909
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

harware
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #910
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

Thanks to the forum and the person who originally mentioned the free mod, made a great night off of work project.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #911
Davos9901
Adventurer

free windscreen mod

out for a test ride.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #912
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #913
ADVdrming
Day dreamer of ADV

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davos9901 View Post
Thanks to the forum and the person who originally mentioned the free mod, made a great night off of work project.
That's creative for sure, good job!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #914
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Yes, inquiring minds want to know how it worked at your height.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #915
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Here's a 1987 with 166,982 miles on it

She's wearing Hayes Diversified new take-off body work that has spent a few years riding around in the South Carolina sun... where do I start?

Mikuni TM41mm ProSeries flatslide carb w/stock location choke via custom cable; Magura Duo314 quick throttle w/custom cable; Megacycle x5 Camshafts w/KACR; R&D valve springs w/titanium tops shim/over type; Cylinder head mild porting & polished exhaust; custom Kibblewhite stainless steel valves; intake manifold spacer for float bowl/starter motor clearance; stock airbox w/modified openings & airbox/carb boot; K&N prefilter & K&N gauze-type filter; OEM kickstarter option; 3/5 Barnett HD clutch springs; KLR600 muffler; K&N airfuel ratio monitor w/sensor bung welded to header; Magura KTM OEM hydraulic clutch w/custom line, heat guard & line running 2.5wt suspension fluid; Lindemann custom fork springs; RaceTech Gold Valve emulators; custom Fox Twin-Clicker rear shock w/remote resorvoir; Tengai rear caliper carrier & disc protectors; DR650 serrated footpegs on stock welded-to-frame brackets; FZR1000 front turn signals; '88 FZR1000 dual headlight bucket w/custom carrier, relay-protected wiring harness & PIAA Intense White H4 bulbs; Euro headlight switch assembly; FIAMM dual horns w/relay-protection; Renthal Desert CR bars w/ 3/4" removed each end; Maier WoodsPro heavy duty full metal barkbusters; Maier large handguard/cups; EBC 320mm full floater front brake disc; ZX600A3 front brake master cylinder; ZX750A4 BACR-front brake caliper; custom stainless steel brake lines front & rear; 80-LED rear brake/running light bar under luggage rack; 32-LED 1157 rear bulb; Napoleon LH mirror short stem on KLR600 mirror bracket; ScotOiler w/dual-injector mounted in place of LH starter motor solenoid/bracket; redundant wiring & cables ziptied in place for easy trail or road-side replacement; 2RS bearings throughout; FT500 Ascot rear turn signals; unknown brand saddlebag guards in picture now hanging on the wall; Moose bash plate; stupid footpeg-equipped "engine protector" off the bike- a real p-o-s bent into my radiator hose and almost cut it when we fell at 0mph on hydraulic fluid at a stop sign- needs triangulation the square-tubing just kinks (hey it was free); Eagle Mike doohickey & torsion spring; custom 350w stator; Accel HT lead; Electrosport HD regulator/rectifier in custom location; custom engine mount plates & brackets; through-bolts on luggage rack (but not sub-frame!); Renthal RS4 chain w/rivet clip currently geared -1front +3rear running D606 DOT knobbies front & rear (D607s on in this photo w/+1front) An important addition: I used the internals from a ZX600A1 petcock in mine- now I have on, reserve and the all-important PRIME so I don't kill the battery sucking the fuel valve diaphragm back when I run out of gas... and we know how fast singles run out of gas, don't we?

She has worn ProCircuit 496s & a SuperTrapp w/19discs before- great power, just too loud for my liking as I've gotten older, now with the KLR600 muffler the bike is SO quiet I can sneak around at night and no-one's the wiser With the SuperTrapp & exhaust gas analysis I was able to double my stock horsepower and gained almost a 3rd more torque on Factory Racing's Mustang eddy-flow dyno in San Rafael California (thanks Marc!)

She's seen 122mph on flat ground many times (verified off other bikes), now I have a KTM950 Adventure for all that foolishness and max out just over 90 with the lower gearing

All in all the best bike I've ever owned, and has taken me more places and helped me do things I could never have done on another bike.

When my first doohickey failed in 1991, there wasn't even a nickname for this part. The cam chain jumped timing so it came apart @ 18,751 and that is when ALL the engine work was done (by me) with the exception of the 3-angle valve job by Mike Crowther of Engine Dynamics fame on a then-state of the art SERDI Valve Machine (I would eventually work for him years later). I went ahead and put a +0.5mm (1st over) OEM piston as I could get dealer prices back then.

I DON'T use or believe in the PCV valve "fix" (see my "Hoax" post) and she doesn't use oil, period. Having spent thousands of hours in the saddle brings confidence and I ride this thing hard all the time, unless I'm in stealth mode which usually means in a park illegally at night.

I have gotten as high as 70mpg when cruising on the slab... I have a universal windscreen that clamps to the handlebars and attaches in seconds and a throttle lock for making time easy...

This bike has run from the police (successfully 100%) 64 times and been crashed more times than I can remember. I looped a wheelie @ 60mph right after I put the carb on and was running rich- it cartwheeled down the street like it was in a Hollywood action flick- when it was over, I folded out the pegs and rode her home. Try that on a sportbike!

I've ridden cross-country, done Cal24hrs, Nevada1100 & Utah1000 on her, ridden in snow, sand, ice, across rivers and up creeks. I've dualsported her with knobs to the top of 14 states... couriered, Sunday Morning Ride (the original in SF CA), roadraced, barrel raced, track dayed, and taken some girls for the ride of their lives (thanks for being such a good passenger mount, adds to their confidence too)

I know when I get on stock KLRs (any year) I don't like how they feel and can't see how people can own one without modding the hell out of them- mine just fits me SO well now, so well planted

Speaking of I forgot the Fox Twin Clicker is off and a White Power fully adjustable is on her now, so much more compliance offroad as I had the Fox setup for hard, fast street riding in Northern California

she's no garage queen and I wear every scar and dirt with the pride of having been somewhere the guys in the SUVs & Jeeps haven't, and while putting myself at real risk

Brittus
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 07:10 PM Reason: corrected typo
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote