Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #931
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,589
So, the triples are boxed up, mailing them off this afternoon. Will be re-using the stock bearings as they were in great shape, no rust, good amount of grease, and no wear, see no reason to replace them as I'll add more grease when I re-install.

Went about checking other "stuff" out in regards to the YZ426F fork swap:

I test fitted the brake reservoir/lever mount, and it was too small to fit the ProTaper bars. It was a Nissin unit as was the stock, so I checked out hooking the banjo-bolt up from the 426 bake line to the stock, it fit. For those much more knowledgeable then I, does this equate to a "fix" that will work?

That little discovery (stock is smaller then the ProTaper) made me panic a bit, will these bars fit the top triple? If not, is there an adapter type riser I could purchase without having to go all "custom" (read: expensive) to make it all work? I was going to get a set of risers anyway, but.....

Also, while removing the whole show, I found that the top nut on the triples was finger tight. Huh? Ooops, should possibly checked that one earlier, huh? I don't think it would have backed all the way off, the bars would have prevented that, but a sobering discovery none-the-less.

Ordering up the Vapor today, the CG shock (from Happy Trails, does it make a difference who I order it from?) Moab. Let me know what the collective thinks. Any and all help (warnings from those who have done it) is welcomed.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #932
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,504
the bars should all be the same on the control ends, it is possible you have a fat bar that will be larger where it clamps. If you do have a fat bar then protaper makes a adapter kit, or you could just use a 7/8s bar with the cross brace. The bar is about the same price as the adapter. A pic woul dhelp us see what you are talking about with the master not working as they should all be 7/8ths

The shocks are the same from either vendor and is supported the same.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #933
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

My English (and reasoning abilities) are now in question.

Sorry, that should have read:

With the 426 reservoir, I could not make it fit (test fitting) with the kill switch/mirror mount and the throttle body on the bars.

The size of the mount itself relative to the diameter of the bar is fine, now that I checked again, so that worry is alleviated.

But, still brings up wether I can fit the KLR stock Nissin reservoir/lever set-up with the YZ cable and banjo. The banjo bolt fits in, though it is an allen-head bolt and the KLR was a hex-head style bolt. It fits, though I don't have any fluid inside to ensure that it flows. In other words, it fits, but no way of knowing if it works.

Any better? I don't want to end up trying to button everything up in about three weeks, only to find out the front brakes don't work!!!!

What did you do for front brakes? Any pics I could scope out? I'm a visual kinda learner/problem solver, would really be appreciated. I'll get a pic up of what I mean, if I can...

Go You Spurs!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #934
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  195.6 KBThere it is. Hope this works.

Go You Spurs!!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #935
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,010
Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
they would have gotten your license plate number right?
I remember sitting at a light one rainy night at a stoplight @ Divisadero & Mission and I suddenly realized I didn't have my plate on the bike (only had 1 good plate moved it from bike to bike). I look in my mirror and there sits an SFPD cruiser directly behind me with two officers in it. When the light turned green I rode off as normal and acted normally. Nothing happened.

San Francisco is 6x7 miles and has 750,000 people in it- license plates hardly show up in all the chaos, especially when you are riding through traffic like shit through a goose. Go to NYC, Chicago or any other dense urban area with lots of vehicular traffic and ride around, the sensory overload makes it hard to see things you spot a mile away in Anytown USA. Big cities greatly add to anonymity. I stopped being a scofflaw immediately upon moving to Columbia South Carolina where the boys in blue aren't dealing with serious crime and are notorious for heavy fines, jail & a beating before you get to jail ("oh he did crash his bike that musta been how he got hurt" is common)

Keep in mind all but 3 of these chases were in or around San Francisco/Bay Area before 1996 when I left, and perhaps most importantly pre-Sept 11th when attitudes to moderate law-breaking took a serious turn. Felony? For running on a motorcycle? Not thanks, that's not an experience that's stupid pure & simple.

As for 64 (that one KLR only btw) that might seem boastful but I pale in comparison to the late Great Sean Crane, who used to keep a spare bike & riding gear at my shop to switch bikes after a crazy chase. I gave him his own key eventually. I'd say he was close to 500 before he died. He's had helicopters chase him on I-5 and gotten away. It's hard on the nervous system to be sure AFTERWARDS- you have to stay calm during & end the chase quickly as you don't want to put others in peril. People skydive, bungee jump, re-up to stay in combat, fling their dirtbike through space or whatever to get their adrenaline fix... we ran from cops.

Two bicycle couriers successfully robbed an armored car in daylight when I was living there. They used hockey-style body blocks to take the bags (no weapons) and escaped through town on a pre-determined route. The messenger community (motorcycles too) are all tight and we kept our collective mouths shut. They've never been caught which gives those of us who knew them great stories to tell the rest of our lives.

It's quite thrilling to haved lived a life that most only see thru TV or movies. "Life of a Repo Man is aways intense" was our by-line. Some of us died (I lost my spleen) but we did so living. Who wants to be old & safe?

FWIW I have been to jail 3 times from motorcycles;
1. for riding a Husqvarna 390 on the pavement (no insurance,license, registration should be a fixit ticket but that's the south for ya) 19hrs in SC apologized to by judge when he released me & rescinded the citation
2. for mistaken identity (they chased another Ninja the night before) 3.5hrs total in San Fran- shows the lax attitude they had back then
3. for leaving a CHP officer on the side of I-80, blasting off to 140mph before running out of gas a few miles later, hiding by on on-ramp for 45minutes, then seen pushing my bike into a Chevron station by the very same officer while he finished his lunch across the street ... 27hrs in **** County in CA inmates loved me but judge was humourless... $2470 fines... that started to settle me down for sure

I owe no explanation for my claims but there have been enough people reading this that they oughta know... just for the fun of it.

I am thinking of starting a thread for this bike to show all the pics & mods over the years. For instance I have a cylinder head I carefully bandsawed into slices & sections so I could see how much aluminum there was between the water jacket passages & at the bottom of the valve spring pockets (there ain't much there, that's for sure) when I did the porting for my Isle of Man engine. Engine was targetted for 67hp, intitial & only dyno runs got 57 w/o time for jetting & (homemade) exhaust mods. It was going into a 1988 FZR400 donor chassis... never turned a wheel, the dyno'ing was done in a stock KLR frame

cheers eh
'87 KLR650 - +170K miles "looks like you've had a lot of fun on that bike..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #936
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Attachment 264552There it is. Hope this works.
it will work your main concern is the bore and stroke of the master. That will affect the feel of the brakes. It should be close enough though
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #937
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post

What did you do for front brakes? Any pics I could scope out? I'm a visual kinda learner/problem solver, would really be appreciated. I'll get a pic up of what I mean, if I can...
I do not have good picks of that, but I used the yz brakes for a while and then switched to the klr brakes. So put klr wheel rotor caliper and mc back on like stock. here is the best i could find of the yz set up

Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #938
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,775
Sorry guys that this might be a little off-topic, guess there is a better thread for the KLR somewhere but i cant find it.

Me and my dad will be traveling the US on 2 KLRs and leave for that trip next week, more can be read in the thread about it in my signature.

Think it would be good to have a service manual on pdf to bring on a usb memory, with the mileage we plan to cover im sure we will have some problem somewhere.

So im searching for a manual, anyone around that can help out? Please send me a PM.

Cheers /Johan

PS one of the KLRs is lowered and the other we have added some extra LED lights on (that count as mods?)

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #939
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,645
I picked up a 03 about a month ago from a fellow inmate. It's been stored at a buddies place since [hence no photo's], do to lack of free time, distance [3 hours away] and waiting for parts. The Happy Trails fork brace came in last week and my Cogent shock and fork springs are in transit.

Next week end we're doing the install. Not to worried about the shock, straight forward take off/put on job. Forks though require a little more finesse. When I changed springs and fluid on my Tiger we measured the fork oil in a measuring cup. It seems from what I've read the preferred method is measuring the level when it's in the fork tube? Also I'm a big guy and was considering using heavier weight oil on top of the custom springs and Ricor intimidators. Are there some negative drawbacks to heavy weight oil when using the Intimidators? Looks like the KLR has drain holes on the forks should go faster then the Tiger. With no holes the legs had to come off.

Can't wait to hit the trails. When I rode away after the purchase the KLR felt like a damn mini-bike compared to my Tiger!
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #940
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,121
? on a shields. I have an 00 that came with what I assume is the stock shield, which is really short, so I am wondering if any inmates use a windshield on their KLR's or just go naked?
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #941
Kurt Franz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Well I've just recently bought into the cult following that is the KLR650. I picked up a new last year model and have one question (so far) with regards to the 2010 model.
I've read a few comments that the models after 2008 have an upgraded cam chain tensioner and therefore doing the "Do" is not as much of a priority as it is for older models.
Is this true or are the tensioners still no good. The dealer says if the factory unit is adjusted properly changing it is a waste of money.
Any input?

Thanks
your dealer is quite correct. The part in question is not an issue on 2008 plus models, and if you adjust it correctly the spring is fine as well.
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #942
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
your dealer is quite correct. The part in question is not an issue on 2008 plus models, and if you adjust it correctly the spring is fine as well.
That depends on who you ask. TMYK
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #943
johnwesley
wanta be

My spring was loose at 1,500 miles
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #944
Farmer829
Green horn

Oddometer: 52
Aftermarket Windshield

I got an '09 and I'm looking for a good windshield. I'm 6'0 tall. Any suggestions?
Farmer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #945
johnwesley
wanta be

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ma...en-System.aspx