Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #121
gunny_usmc
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 396
Calvin & Hobbes on a KLR ? ...... way cool, I think even Bill the cat would ride a KLR.
1978 RD 400
" I'm flat out like a lizard drinking "
gunny_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #122
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Thanks for all the input about the seats....Think I might spring for a dished seat since I'm one of dem short guys.

I put my PD nerf bars on the '07....looks sweet! I mounted a set of PIAA 510s to the nerf bars as well. (Still have to do a bit or fine tuning to the mounts.) Still, looks way cool...I'll post a pic sunday or monday.

Bucky the kat is definitely a KLR rider.

orklr screwed with this post 09-07-2006 at 11:21 PM
orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #123
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves
kdxkawboy Amazing mate You have been busy.
Oh, I've been playing with KLRs for a few years. The bug bit me back in '95

I got through about half those mods listed on this bike before it meet its untimely demise at the hands of a SUV

I'll try to get a closer picture of the bars, but this is the best I've got on the 'puter.

I've got Renthal CR-HI bars - that is a very flat bend on the bar - and they are 32" wide. You can't see the bark buster as it's hidden behind the grip. I got the Maier protectors molded to fit the bark busters.

If you are having trouble with the fit/coverage you want, its simple to custom make your own if you can scam a couple of old side panels. From the flat of the fide panel cut the shape and size you want. Next step, I live in the Sierras and used my wood stove for the heat source on the next step. Take your piece, suspend it over the stove, as close to the surface and let it heat soak until you can see the plastic taking on a the first signs of a molten look and at this time it will be soft enough you can mold in the bends you want.

Another way of doing that is a 150W light bulb stuffed inside a sock - this is we would shape the inside of our ski boots to get a custom fit for our deformed feet.

And the vapor recovery is a US thing, actually a California thing but since it doesn't detract from performance it's on all the bikes. Its a system that vacums out the gas vapors from your gast tank, stores them in a little carbon canister that allows the vapors to be sucked back into the intake. At the back of gas tanks we have two tubes that hook this up the canisters and then the plumbing back to the carb. SOme folks refer to it as the octopus.

The footpeg brackets are easy to visualize. The problem with the stock is that the heads of the mounting bolts take a beating and while thick, the foot peg brackets can be bent. So, using a 0.25 sheet of weldable steel I cut out a set of gussets. The first was a square that I welded to the bottom of the bracket the foot peg mounts to/ By closing off the open end you greatly armour and strenthen that part. The second gusset was cut to fit across the front of the bracket from the foot peg mount to the frame mount. At the frame mount I cut and shape the gusset to function as a skid plate for thue mounting bolts. So this keeps the footpeg bracket from bending and twisting on the big nasty hits as well as keeping the bolts from being munged up. Beefy enough that they one of the parts that survived the wreck on the first bike. Pegs and brackets have seen 10 years of hard use. Brackets are still fine though I need a new set of foot pegs.

You can make out the folding mirrors by the angle of the stalks. These are a set of off the shelf Ken Sean Universal Enduro mirrors, P/N 970510. Its the same folding mirror offered by Moose at half the price. The end of the stalk has a ball end. The socket screws into the bar mount and then there a set of nuts to adjust the tension on how easy it is to turn and fold the mirrors. I find I need to preload the little springs to get enough tension to resist twisting in the freeway blast. ANd they have a rubber bellows that slides over all of that. To get them out of the way I just fold them down over the crossbar.

By the way Gunny, thats one of dem Calvin, Life 5 cents stickers just aft of the Kawasaki on the pannier.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 09-08-2006 at 06:14 AM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #124
Slaghammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
BBQ grill " modified " into a number plate rack for raingear, jackets etc.
Attached Images

Slaghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #125
Slaghammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
KLR " Ride Bell "
Attached Images

Slaghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #126
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaghammer
BBQ grill " modified " into a number plate rack for raingear, jackets etc.

Now, there's a great idea I haven't seen before!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #127
lather
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
My biggest issue w/ my KLR is my hands (especially my right/throttle hand) going to sleep. Beyond the Doohickey, my mods have been:
Renthal 666 bars
Bar snake
Meyer Deluxe Woods Pro hand guards (bars and plastic deflectors)
Pro Grip Gel 714 grips
Pelican 1450 "top case"
and, of course, TKC80s - I think these tires were made for KLRs

I can now go half an hour before my hands fall asleep instead of the five minutes I used to be good for. I'm hoping that carpul tunnel surgery will enable me to never need to deal with this nagging problem again. YMMV.
I have been riding 35 years and always had problems with hands going numb, 3x worse on right than left. the higher the bars the lesser the problem but I think the main factor is throttle return spring tension. Was worse on my Blackbird and currently my VFR than it is on the KLR (which I have gad for onlu 800 miles so far (two weeks). I went to the doctor for Carpel Tunnel testing (electric nerve conduction) and it was positive. The doctor said cortizone injections should give dramatic but probably only temporary results. It did not help at all however, so he then refered me to an Orthopedist for possible surgery. I never went as I don't feel it is bad enough to risk surgery. Seems like 2 out of 3 I spoke too said the surgery was a great success but the 3rd said it made him worse. I have bar risers and a throttle lock on the VFR which helps and allows 12 hour days. I will never spend that much time on the KLR but plan to get a Vista Cruise soon. Also a throttle rocker, I have had several on other bikes but they keep getting stolen. Hope your surgery is successful!
lather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #128
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Here's my PDs mounted with PIAAs (still wiring in thePIAAs)

orklr screwed with this post 09-08-2006 at 01:38 PM
orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #129
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Excel 18" rim on the rear /w HD spokes
Haven't really been following this thread, but just got caught up. I have the usual mid-level mods, minus the seat (I find the OEM comfortable, go figure). No cartridges or new rear shocks, but progressive fork springs and mike's "raising" links.

How does the 18" wheel fit in there? Have you done anything else (like raising links) to help clear? I'm not worried about the inner fender by the plate, but I'd be afraid I'd tear the hell out of the top of the inner fender, or have packup problems by the swingarm "u". Did you clearance the swingarm at all?

I've been thinking about this in a half ass way for a while.

Thanks for any input.

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #130
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Chain guide is a plus( a real one anyways)

Extra radiator.

Yea, I know , I got dumbo ears
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #131
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,219
What is the 2nd radiator off?

Thanks
CA Stu
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #132
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
What is the 2nd radiator off?

Thanks
CA Stu
I realy hate when people ask me that, because I didn't take the time (dummy me) to ask when I grabbed it out of a used rad pile.

So sorry, I am not much help. It is one that had the most capasity that I could find that fit in the overflow spot. I took the spickets off of a junk stock KLR radiator and had them welded on the new one. All in all it cost me about 75 bucks and 5hrs of my time to do it.

Now at least when I crash and burn and take my fan out, I can still ride the rest of the day without overheating!.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:58 AM   #133
HighDezert
KLR Dirt Pilot

Oddometer: 120
Holycaveman, on the dual rad. setup, is it a parallel setup with a way to isolate either side? How do you keep the good radiator from losing fluid through the not-so-good one?

I've been thinking about doing something similar to provide some extra cooling on hot desert days. Did you simply ditch the coolant jug or did you hide a small one somewhere else?

Cool setup!
HighDezert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #134
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDezert
Holycaveman, on the dual rad. setup, is it a parallel setup with a way to isolate either side? How do you keep the good radiator from losing fluid through the not-so-good one?

I've been thinking about doing something similar to provide some extra cooling on hot desert days. Did you simply ditch the coolant jug or did you hide a small one somewhere else?

Cool setup!
The flow of fluid comes out of the head and into the smaller radiator. Then it flows up and into the stock radiator . Then down through the stock radiator and into the motor. Your coolant system is constantly under pressure, so the fluid stays where it is or it flows in the direction of travel. No matter where your radiators are. It took a while to figure out the routing for the best way to cool the fluid. It works great though.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #135
VascoMerlin OP
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by orklr
Here's my PDs mounted with PIAAs (still wiring in thePIAAs)

Did all the mounting hardware come with the lights, or did you have to rig something up?

Do you remember the model # of the lights?

And where do you plan on mounting the switch?

very cool location by the way!!!!!

www.revzilla.com
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote