User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Problem with Editing Posts

I am having trouble editing some of my posts. When I click the edit button, I end up with a totally blank text editing box. Even when I click "Go Advanced" I get nothing at all.

I have a multi-page trip report in the Ride Tales section and it was pointed out to me that I had manually changed the text color to white from black. And that by doing so, anyone using NON-default skins would not see the text in the color they wanted. So we figured out that selecting the text and then clicking the AA with the X in it, (Remove Text Formatting) would do the trick.

I had no problem doing this on my Preparation, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 or Day 4 posts. But when I tried the same thing on my Day 5 (on page 3 of the thread) I ended up with that blank text editing box.

I also tried my Day 6 post and got the same (nothing) results.

I logged off, shut down, and restarted my system in case this would help but it didn't. I can't see anything in the text editing box for my later posts in the thread.

Anyone have any ideas?

(What caused this whole thing was that for the first time I'd prepared my posts using Evernote. There the default - which I didn't change - was black text on a white background. When I selected that text and pasted it into the message editor here, I was surprised to see black text on an almost black background, and it was virtually unreadable. So I selected the text and using the A text tool, changed the black color to white. That LOOKED just fine to me, but I got reports that this hard-coded the text color to white instead of DEFAULT, so people with non-default skins were having trouble. I've been trying to edit my thread to fix that.)
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,937
Could you help out by providing a link?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sure, I'll give a link to my thread, but since others are reporting the same problem with editing their own threads, the problem appears not to be limited to my thread.

Here's my thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Could you help out by providing a link?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, I've now tried this with two different PC's running Win7 and with a MacBook Air and got the same results... empty text editing box when I click on the edit button on an existing post of mine.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Sure, I'll give a link to my thread, but since others are reporting the same problem with editing their own threads, the problem appears not to be limited to my thread.

Here's my thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005112
That problem was solved last week. Plus, you talk about extra code in your posts-that causes way more problems than most other things do-so a link is helpful.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
ian408
Oh?

Is it possible that you open the edit window and are viewing white text on a white background? You have a lot of font and color tags that set font color to white.

What style are you using to view the forum?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ONLY "extra" code I have in my posts is IMG tags surrounding the URL's of my images.

I am using forum default styles/skins to view the forum.

I have 8 or 9 trip report posts in that thread, and I have done them all exactly the same way, yet I was able to edit them without issue up to my Day 5 post (on page 3 of the thread). That post and all further posts turn up empty in the edit box when I click edit.

And no, there is not white text on a white background.

I'll repeat what I did that has caused the whole issue:

I created my daily posts in Evernote, using completely default fonts and colors there. In the Evernote editor, the text appears black on a white background.

I would then select the entire text, copy to the clipboard and paste it into a new post in my trip report thread.

In that edit window, I would see (again using default skins) my text in a black font on the default very dark gray background, making it almost impossible to read.

I would then select all the text in the new message editing window, and using the "A" tool, I would change the text color from black to white. And post the message.

*I* could then see everything exactly as I expect, again because I'm using default skins here.

But what I did must hard-code the text color to black, overwriting whatever themes another user might be using. And I got complaints about it. So I've been trying to go back into each of those posts and edit them, to REMOVE ANY non-default colors or fonts.

I was able to successfully do that on the first 5 posts I made in the thread (prep, days 1-4), but on the day 5 post, when I did the exact same thing as the prior posts, I get the blank edit box. I try to select all but there is nothing there to select (which is why I'm saying it's not white text on a white background).

I have tried this from two different Win7 computers, and last night I tried it from a MacBook Air, always with the same result.

And it's not just my Day 5 post that shows this behaviour... my next posts do also.

I'm only talking about the posts I prepared in my external editor, Evernote. Any posts I made as replies to a post there behave normally.

And in my thread there were some other reports from people who have also posted trip reports, that they too are having the same problem with their own edits.

Thanks for looking into this.

Quote:
Is it possible that you open the edit window and are viewing white text on a white background? You have a lot of font and color tags that set font color to white.

What style are you using to view the forum?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
The ONLY "extra" code I have in my posts is IMG tags surrounding the URL's of my images.

And no, there is not white text on a white background.
I cannot tell exactly which style you are using. Which means you could choose "Fresh" which is light. The default style is "Crash".

Anyway, your thread has a lot of "[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]For many years I'd thought about riding " in it (along with the closing tags)-that is the first line. And over on page 4, Day 6, the post starts "[COLOR=White] [/COLOR][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]The rain started overnight. ".

So if you were using a light style, like Fresh, this would show up white text on a white background. Like this:

Which is from post 86. Editing the post using the Fresh style would result in a "blank" edit window. You could also try editing your posts by turning off the WYSIWYG editor-you can do this by clicking on the WYSIWYG icon in the upper right corner of the edit pane (Looks like "A/A"). Turning off WYSIWYG will remove whatever formatting you've

Anyway, Evernote, Word, and any other editor can add HTML and other cruft when you cut and past. As I said before, there have been reports of people having trouble editing posts and searching-that problem has been resolved to the best of my knowledge.

COLOR tags are generally frowned upon. Why? You can see the result above.

I removed the font/color tags from your Day 7 post. What happens when you edit that?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ian, I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

I am using the "default" skin. That what it says in my user control panel. That generally gives me white text on a very dark gray background.

I don't know where those font tags have come from, because I haven't specified fonts ANYWHERE. It must be something that Evernote inserts. Please take a look at my last two trip report posts (day 9 and 10) and let me know if you still see those tags. I did something different with them. I copied the text to the clipboard from Evernote and then pasted it into Notepad which I think strips out all formatting, and then I selected that and pasted the result into the new messages I posted.

I also tried to edit the Day 7 post which you say you removed all tags from. I get nothing. Just an empty edit box.

How is it you are able to see those tags? Is it because you turn off the WYSIWYG editor? I should try that.

Quote:
I cannot tell exactly which style you are using. Which means you could choose "Fresh" which is light. The default style is "Crash".

Anyway, your thread has a lot of "[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]For many years I'd thought about riding " in it (along with the closing tags)-that is the first line. And over on page 4, Day 6, the post starts "[COLOR=White] [/COLOR][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]The rain started overnight. ".

So if you were using a light style, like Fresh, this would show up white text on a white background. Like this:

Which is from post 86. Editing the post using the Fresh style would result in a "blank" edit window. You could also try editing your posts by turning off the WYSIWYG editor-you can do this by clicking on the WYSIWYG icon in the upper right corner of the edit pane (Looks like "A/A"). Turning off WYSIWYG will remove whatever formatting you've

Anyway, Evernote, Word, and any other editor can add HTML and other cruft when you cut and past. As I said before, there have been reports of people having trouble editing posts and searching-that problem has been resolved to the best of my knowledge.

COLOR tags are generally frowned upon. Why? You can see the result above.

I removed the font/color tags from your Day 7 post. What happens when you edit that?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
ian408
Oh?

When you turn off WYSIWYG, you'll see the tags and any other formatting present.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
I don't know where those font tags have come from, because I haven't specified fonts ANYWHERE. It must be something that Evernote inserts. Please take a look at my last two trip report posts (day 9 and 10) and let me know if you still see those tags.
Day 9 looks clear.

Can you try clearing your browser cookies for advrider.com and also the browser cache? With respect to editing, I don't see what the problem is for you.

This is what I see.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I said, I tried something different for my Day 9 and Day 10 posts. I pasted my text into NotePad first, which obviously strips out any formatting, then selected THAT text and pasted that into a new message on Advrider. So at least that route works.

And when you say, "With respect to editing, I don't see what the problem is for you", do you mean you are not seeing the same thing, or that you don't understand what I am seeing?

Within that SAME thread, there are messages of mine (some of the trip report posts, not replies to comments) that I am unable to edit. I click the edit button and then see absolutely nothing in the edit dialog box. And there's no scroll bar either. So with no scroll bar, and nothing appearing if I click into the box and select all (CTRL-A), there is NOTHING there.

Also switching to WYSIWYG when trying to edit those messages, nothing appears.

Quote:
Day 9 looks clear.

Can you try clearing your browser cookies for advrider.com and also the browser cache? With respect to editing, I don't see what the problem is for you.

This is what I see.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
And when you say, "With respect to editing, I don't see what the problem is for you", do you mean you are not seeing the same thing, or that you don't understand what I am seeing?
It means I can edit the posts you say you cannot.

Did you clear the browser cache & clear the cookies?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No, I didn't do that (yet). Kinda reluctant to do that because I've got a lot of them that are needed regularly and I'd have to sign in anew everywhere. And especially since to my feeble mind I don't see how the browser cache and cookies could possibly affect SOME posts in the thread and not others.

If you tell me that this could really be the case, I'll try it, but if you're just guessing... I'm reluctant.

What the heck... I'll give it a try.

Stay tuned...

Quote:
It means I can edit the posts you say you cannot.

Did you clear the browser cache & clear the cookies?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
No, I didn't do that (yet). Kinda reluctant to do that because I've got a lot of them that are needed regularly and I'd have to sign in anew everywhere. And especially since to my feeble mind I don't see how the browser cache and cookies could possibly affect SOME posts in the thread and not others.

If you tell me that this could really be the case, I'll try it, but if you're just guessing... I'm reluctant.

What the heck... I'll give it a try.

Stay tuned...
I just want you to remove the advrider stuff. Nothing else.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: