Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #16
ADVmouse
Whiskered Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by magli
On ADVrider, every forum has an ID, and every thread has an ID. You can add these to your search terms with the allinurl term, and google will restrict its search to URLs with that thread ID or forum ID.
Excellent! thanks magli, that's a great tip.

Chris
ADVmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
check this out

http://www.barelyfitz.com/blog/archives/2006/04/10/321/

bookmarklets rule
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
That is indeed a very handy little widget!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
INURL is great but you can only search thread titles using that approach (the URL changes within the thread detail.)

Using the example above (finding "FMF" within the Orange Crush forum) you could also use:

site:www.advrider.com "ADVrider*Bikes*Orange Crush" fmf

This will locate the thread breadcrumb at the top of each page in OC. A little kludgey but it works.

--Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
couver
Danger to Myself

Oddometer: 57
Clear as mud to me, but I get the concept - even sounded good enough to download the google toolbar. I have seen another search issue pop up and I am wondering if any of these google tricks could solve it... Someone recently complained about all the "extraneous" posts in a particular ride report and this brings to mind two things that might be helpful:

1) Is there a way to subscribe to a thread and only get notification when the OP adds another post? (i.e., if bugfnnuts adds another post to his "regular guy does dakar" thread.)

2) Is there a way to "extract" only the posts from a given user with a specific thread? (i.e., see only those posts by bugfnnuts in is "regular guy does dakar thread" without all the other posts interspersed.)

Seems like one or both of these could be useful to a lot of folks. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like this was recently asked with no answer: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220006

couver screwed with this post 05-22-2007 at 06:26 PM
couver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #21
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I want "New Posts" by forum!

I'd like to log in and click on New Posts and then sort by forum so I can look at GSpot and West Region etc but not have to page through everything. Can such a thing be done?
I went to Advanced Search, and it can look at a spceific forum for all posts since I last logged on, but had to have a search term! What word is > 3 characters that is in every new post?
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
There's a search feature at the top of each forum (a "Search This Forum" link) that works for words with four characters or more.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #22
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej
I'd like to log in and click on New Posts and then sort by forum so I can look at GSpot and West Region etc but not have to page through everything. Can such a thing be done?
I went to Advanced Search, and it can look at a spceific forum for all posts since I last logged on, but had to have a search term! What word is > 3 characters that is in every new post?
-ceej
By page thru everything, you mean visit each forum individually (as the new posts are bolded/highlighted on each forum) .... but no .... I don't think there a tree view of new posts where you can see just the new posts in each group.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #23
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thumb

For pete's sake, at least allow three-letter searches for major common stuff like "ktm", "250", etc.

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #24
CODIY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thank you

Thanks for this thread. I like other FNGs to the site have been frustrated by the search function. I have found that unless I had a specific thread in mind to search for (bc I couldn't find it and hadn't subscribed), then I was wading through a lot of thread lists to try to find information. Interesting, but not always helpful.

I have used the "Search this Thread" function, and it is also marginally helpful. Especially in threads with 50+ posts.

This is all a long way of saying that I wish I had seen this thread earlier. And for folks who are search handicapped, finding this thread is probably not easy (I just happened across it). Perhaps there could be a note on the main page, or a link to a forum for How to Search ADVrider. Then we noobs could just be directed there. While I have not gotten the "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" reply, I have seen enough of them, and been frustrated enough with the search function to feel their pain. This thread would alleviate a lot of that pain on both sides, I think.

Thanks,
Keith
CODIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Better Search for ADVrider!

So.. I've had alot of trouble finding answers to things that are already posted and feeling like a dumbshit later when i see its been psted abotu 10 times aleady.. It seems though that google does a fair job of indexing ths site compared to the site itself, so you end up with better results..

here are some steps that you may find helpful. By following these steps below you will add a new search provider to your internet explorer toolbar just for ADVrider.

1.. go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../runonce2.aspx

2. Under Create Your Own in the text box Labeld "Paste the URL of the Search results page : " paste this url..

""www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=TEST+site%3Aadvrider.com&btnG=Google+Search"""

3. Name your new search, you should see something like this

4. Click Install

This will install a new search provider to your toolbar.. Now its as easy as selecting that search provider and typing your search in the search box.. :)

Hope this helps..
Old 03-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Thanks, I didn't know that existed, but below is the way that I've learned to do it, I think it works the same...

Type any search term in your google tool bar and specify the site to search:

xr650l site:advrider.com
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #27
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
If you are on a mac, I highly recommend a little $15 shareware browser called Omniweb. It's really configurable, and you can teach it to memorize any form box like a search field. It uses the URL bar for simplicity. So I've taught it many searches like:

g ktm <--search google for 'ktm'
ups 1Z3478234798234 <--track ups package 1Z...
fedex 12368123123 <--track fedex package 123...
adv 205 mph <--search all of advrider for '205' and 'mph' using google
advoc "water pump" <-- search advrider's "orange crush" forum for "water pump" using the vBulletin search.

I haven't figured out how to search with google but limit to one forum, short of using the forum's name as a search term. That works reasonably well for "orange crush" (someone in gspot is disparaging the OC forum.) But "thumpers" and "beasts" are more general terms.

If anyone wants some more detail on Omniweb, there website is:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/

or PM me.

Geof

BTW, did you know google is great for conversions and calculations? Try googling (without quotes) "123.99 CAD to USD" "23 newton meter to foot pound" "sqrt(23)/99" or "pi"
Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #28
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
can't you just do something like this in google:

"final drive" site: advrider.com

where you use to restrict the search to a particular domain?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #29
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew

Hmm, I'm thinking we could narrow that 'final drive' search down just a bit further!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew

Yes, you can, I posted how to do it two posts up...
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: