Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
campy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B.
campy- I like that! Did you make that, or buy it that way? Details, man, I need details!!!

I got it here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/936/103/
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Hey rokklym, is your meridian still working in that cradle? If so, have you traveled for any time at 75-80 mph with it? I can't get anything to work up on the bars. I thought for sure that cradle was going to work but I had the same problem "extreme low power shutdown" once I was over 70 aways. Then it stops working right even at 60mph. The only thing that works for me is keeping it in the map pocket of the tank bag, but I really wish I could run it up on the bars.

Oh yeah, National deflector--pretty much just like the spitfire but I like the hardware a little better. It pops off quicker with no tools which gives another point to adjust the angle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I just bought a

snowrider screwed with this post 09-04-2006 at 05:24 PM
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #18
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a shot that shows the difference in the national and the spitfire:

Those wingnut-style knobs just behind the plexi allow it to be popped off in about 30 seconds. Also, those are pivot points to change the screen angle, there are little splines to hold it in position when those knobs are tight. It's not needed but makes it a little easier to dial in, and if you want to remove and replace it a lot.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #19
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I put a tall Parabellum on mine and it actually gives more protection than the AeroFlow that is on the GS, mostly due to how close the shield is to your body. A great touring screen, no doubt.

But there's a real problem. When standing, the top windshield edge is very close to your head and throat. This screen is very thick, high quality, very secure, and I can see it crushing your windpipe if the two ever met with some force. I don't think I'm going to ride fast off road with this shield.

Parabellum offers a 30 day no-questions return. This impressed me. They believe they have a great product, and it really is great. I'm undecided as to whether I should return it, mostly because of an upcoming trip to the west coast when I know it would rock. But what do you do with it when going off road? Maybe keep it for long highway trips?

The bike is a joy to ride w/o any shield when under 70 mph.

Dunno...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
Hey rokklym, is your meridian still working in that cradle? If so, have you traveled for any time at 75-80 mph with it? I can't get anything to work up on the bars. I thought for sure that cradle was going to work but I had the same problem "extreme low power shutdown" once I was over 70 aways. Then it stops working right even at 60mph. The only thing that works for me is keeping it in the map pocket of the tank bag, but I really wish I could run it up on the bars.

Oh yeah, National deflector--pretty much just like the spitfire but I like the hardware a little better. It pops off quicker with no tools which gives another point to adjust the angle:
Never had any problems with the meridian shutting off and i've run it 2 years on the bars. Are you batteries coming loose somehow?

I like the way your screen is so adjustable. The spitfire is a quick release but you need an allen wrench to adjust the angle.

One question for you guys with the maier, national,slipstreamer and spitfires. The bottom of the screen just above the headlight, does yours touch the plastic headlight surround or do you keep a little gap?
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #21
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

I've run it on the magellan cradle with no batteries and had the same problem. Only thing I haven't tried is screwing the power chord into it and running it on the ram cradle. If it's vibrating the batteries that bad though, it's going to really cut into the life of the thing. The batteries don't actually come "loose" or anything, but may be vibrating against the contacts so as to be on/off/on/off, etc...
What speeds have you run it at and for how long? My first meridean I ran on the magellan cradle and it worked at first but the speed at which it would work kept coming down and down until I could hardly use it while riding. That unit was still fine otherwise and didn't necessarilly need replaced, I just chose to give it to someone. So now I'm on number 2... same problem. I guess I'll live with it in the map pocket and be happy I've found something that works at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Never had any problems with the meridian shutting off and i've run it 2 years on the bars. Are you batteries coming loose somehow?

I like the way your screen is so adjustable. The spitfire is a quick release but you need an allen wrench to adjust the angle.

One question for you guys with the maier, national,slipstreamer and spitfires. The bottom of the screen just above the headlight, does yours touch the plastic headlight surround or do you keep a little gap?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #22
rowend
FNG

Oddometer: 40
Originally posted by Snowrider:

"Only thing I haven't tried is screwing the power chord into it and running.."

is this guy a musician or what?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #23
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy

I like the size and the way this looks. Given the small size, I was wondering if you notice a big difference? Is it easy to put on for trips and then take off or is it a lot of trouble to remove and replace?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #24
campy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I like the size and the way this looks. Given the small size, I was wondering if you notice a big difference? Is it easy to put on for trips and then take off or is it a lot of trouble to remove and replace?
It actually works quite well for it's size, and because it is so small, I have never felt the need to remove it, though it would be a 5 min. job at most to do so.

It does however have one drawback that I found, posititioning was really sensitive...too much "toward the rider" tilt resulted in major buffeting behind large vehicles. Once I got the position dialed-in, those symptoms disapeared.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Where do you guys get those spitfire windscreens?

Thanks.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
ronhanson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Where do you guys get those spitfire windscreens?

Thanks.
Got mine from
http://www.mawonline.com/slipstre.htm#Windshields

about 2/3rds down the page
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #27
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:

Those wingnut-style knobs just behind the plexi allow it to be popped off in about 30 seconds. Also, those are pivot points to change the screen angle, there are little splines to hold it in position when those knobs are tight. It's not needed but makes it a little easier to dial in, and if you want to remove and replace it a lot.
Hey Snowrider,

Is this the model that you have?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...967243/c-10111

Thanks.
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
Hey Snowrider,

Is this the model that you have?

Thanks.
No! That's way bigger. I don't think you want that barn door on a DR. The model I have is called the "deflector".
Old 09-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #29
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowend
Originally posted by Snowrider:

"Only thing I haven't tried is screwing the power chord into it and running.."

is this guy a musician or what?

After typing a paragraph eplaining the how the cord that delivers power to the meridian works, I just got it...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #30
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
No! That's way bigger. I don't think you want that barn door on a DR. The model I have is called the "deflector".
Ah, ok. This is it, then, right? And I've gotta ask you one more question: On the JC Whitney site, I don't see a "deflector" shield made specifically for the DR. Did you find one, or are you using one made for a different bike (which one?) that happens to also fit the DR?

Thanks, man.

shoco screwed with this post 09-06-2006 at 12:00 AM
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote