Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #46
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
It's hard to tell just looking at a picture, but I'm pretty sure I'd run right into that parabellum trying to climb some of the stuff I do regularly. I know I should take my shield off for offroad, but I don't always know when I'm going to go offroad. The steepest stuff I've climbed put the edge of my little shield about a half inch from my chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I'm 5'10 too and ordered the tall screen. It works well, sending the air to the top of my helmet and visabilty is good.

I did change 4 of the mounting bolts over to thumb screws and wingnuts. This allows me to remove it easily, store it on top of my luggage bag under a spider net and ride dirt with fewer worries. This screen is very stout and I would not want to go thru it on a get-off. The screen is very close to you and that's great to protect you from wind/weather, etc, but is very bad for off road use, especially when standing.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #47
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
It's hard to tell just looking at a picture, but I'm pretty sure I'd run right into that parabellum trying to climb some of the stuff I do regularly. I know I should take my shield off for offroad, but I don't always know when I'm going to go offroad. The steepest stuff I've climbed put the edge of my little shield about a half inch from my chest.
Howdy SR.

You probably would. It's very close - too close - when standing. I'll even say it can be dangerous because of how thick/strong it is.

This will be an experiment for me. I'm probably spoiled from the GS and AeroFlow, but I really do appreciate a large screen when running many miles at speed. This Parabellum actually gives me more protection than I had with the GS.

I enjoy the nekkid DR and will just stow the screen when riding in places/countries where extended high speeds aren't the norm. I'm fine with it nekkid up to about 70 indicated. At least that's my plan...and we all should have one of those, at times.

If it becomes a pain (and I'm very big on convenience), I may try sometimg different. Also, if I were to have a 'small' screen that would never be removed, I'd prefer one that wasn't built like a brick sht house, and would break away easily.

I have an upcoming trip that will be about 4k miles of high speedish running and 1k miles of not so fast. This will 'enlighten' me, I'm sure.

I already have a plentiful stock of sleeves for the screen when I do stow it on the back. They come 20 to a box and are 4mil thick. One of these should suffice.

These threads are invaluable. We all understand that what works for one rider may not please the next. I'm the type of person that likes to buy something one-time, not economically supporting all manufacturers of a particular item.

Your National screen does sound good.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #48
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 86
Mystery Windscreen

I had a screen that I really liked the look and size of. I caught a big rock off my friend's back tire the other day- sad to say- the windscreen is no more. I want to replace it but haven't been able to find any info on it. Anyone recognize this screen?
Attached Images

Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #49
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,396
??? Home made or CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordonst
I had a screen that I really liked the look and size of. I caught a big rock off my friend's back tire the other day- sad to say- the windscreen is no more. I want to replace it but haven't been able to find any info on it. Anyone recognize this screen?
Hey ...
It looks like maybe a Modified Cee Baileys (picture below - from post #6 of this thread) or a home made one ..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #50
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Cee Baileys

That looks like the Cee Bailey's "Baja Designs Off-Road windshield":
http://www.ceebaileys.com/acerbis/index.html

Quote:
Attached Images

My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON

M1Jeep screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 01:08 PM
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #51
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

I like the looks of that one too. How tall are you? Do you get any buffeting? Have you used any other brand of windscreen to compare this one to? I had the regular Cee Bailey's, which was OK, but it didn't have that "lip" on the top edge of the screen. Any info would be appreciated. Do you have anymore pics of it on your bike?

Quote:
My YouTube
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #52
FishHound
Ex-Army 11B

Oddometer: 28
Thumb Sold on the Spitfire S-06

For $65 delivered it is hard to beat, I'm 5'9" and the wind hits me about the top of the forehead. It takes all the air off my chest but you definatly have to lean it back equal to the slope of the shroud or the buffeting can be really harsh. I haven't done any trail riding or hills with it on but have left it on running forest service and logging roads without any problems. Oh and when you get it dialed in make sure and locktite the wing nuts they have a tendency to vibrate loose and dissapear.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #53
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,837
I hate my Cee Bailey windshield !

I bought an '06 DR recently (love the bike) and it came with a nice Cee-Bailey clear windshield (uninstalled) and all the hardware.
I put it on last week, and I hate the thing. When standing still, I guess it's alright, but at speed (anything above 50mph) it seems to push the headlight housing/fairing plastic back slightly, sends the wind directly into my face (I'm 6'0") and makes the windshield make contact with the master cylinder on the right side. After one 120 mile day, the combined forces caused the master cylinder to rub a small groove into the edge of the windshield.
Anyone else ever have this problem?

Any suggestions before I stick this on fleabay?

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #54
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

I had the same issue with my Cee Bailey's "DR650 windscreen" and sold it. The Cee Baileys Acerbis screen (12" wide) isn't as wide as the 17" wide DR650 specific screen. I have the MRA "ST" shield from Twisted Throttle. It gives me a lot of buffeting on my dirt helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I bought an '06 DR recently (love the bike) and it came with a nice Cee-Bailey clear windshield (uninstalled) and all the hardware.
I put it on last week, and I hate the thing. When standing still, I guess it's alright, but at speed (anything above 50mph) it seems to push the headlight housing/fairing plastic back slightly, sends the wind directly into my face (I'm 6'0") and makes the windshield make contact with the master cylinder on the right side. After one 120 mile day, the combined forces caused the master cylinder to rub a small groove into the edge of the windshield.

My YouTube
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #55
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Had the National Cycle screen for about a week and sent it back. Had buffeting at all angles of adjustment. When you angle it back the screen seems too close for comfort and buffeting was still there. The MRA or maybe the small Cee Bailey screen would be as large as I would want to go.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #56
sgoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides

My 07' came with a Cee Bailey which I didn't much care for. I cut the height down by about 2 1/2" and put a piece of Saeng edging that I had on it. Result, buffetting nearly eliminated and it doesn't flex like it did at the stock hgt. It's a keeper!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #57
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
I cant believe no one has posted the BMW Dakar screen on a dr.. Fits like it was made for it.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #58
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoat
My 07' came with a Cee Bailey which I didn't much care for. I cut the height down by about 2 1/2" and put a piece of Saeng edging that I had on it. Result, buffetting nearly eliminated and it doesn't flex like it did at the stock hgt. It's a keeper!

An intersting solution, I might look into that.
What kind of hardware are you using to mount yours? I can't tell from the picture. I'm looking for something that can allow a "quick change" removal. Would like to go with Dzuz fasteners, but haven't figured out how to make that work yet. I've already replaced the stock nylon bolts (which I stripped out) with stainless.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #59
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

I likey!

From the front it looks good. Can you please post some side-view pics? What year Dakar f650gs did this come from? TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
I cant believe no one has posted the BMW Dakar screen on a dr.. Fits like it was made for it.
My YouTube

M1Jeep screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 03:47 PM
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #60
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep
From the front it looks good. Can you please post some side-view pics? Where did you get this from and how much do they typically cost? TIA!
I think that is the stock BMW screen off one of the older Dakar 650s
You could get it from any BMW dealer not sure of the cost.

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote