Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #91
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
Would any body point me in the direction of the metal clamps to fit to a screen to my bike , need some quick
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #92
khornet
Ride, Fish, Hunt, Ride

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
Would any body point me in the direction of the metal clamps to fit to a screen to my bike , need some quick
Wide,

I had to fab mine, since I added Buell Dual Headlights and the screen fitting over the headlights were for a cruiser, not dual sport. What type of screen are you considering? Do you already have it?
My DR650 (Stealth Black) --> Khornet's Bike
My DR650 Mods Page --> www.mistyoak.org

khornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #93
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by khornet
Wide,

I had to fab mine, since I added Buell Dual Headlights and the screen fitting over the headlights were for a cruiser, not dual sport. What type of screen are you considering? Do you already have it?
I have a CBR600 screen (IT was cheap!)
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #94
Str8way
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Spitfire Mount behind number plate

I used some thick clear water tube to attach my spitfire to the small top bar across the dr Handel bars. I just cut off two one inch pieces and cut let to wrap around the small bar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bchboy213/Str8way

From Str8way

From Str8way

From Str8way

Str8way screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 08:46 PM
Str8way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #95
jbh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Screen from Australia

I finally got to ride with my windscreen from Peter at Screensforbikes.com He can be emailed at peter@screensforbikes.com

I am not a stranger to windscreens on other road bikes and have had the usual buffeting and noise issues on those bikes. However this is the first screen I have tried on my DR650 and I like it a lot. This screen does exactly what I want it to do, reduce the wind pressure on my chest by 3/4 and keep my helmet in clean air. It makes it much more enjoyable to ride at highway speeds and I don't get any buffeting at all. When offroad it is not very big so it does not cause any problems at all. You are definately always looking way over the screeen, even if you duck down. I wear earplugs so noise it not much an issue but I took them out for a short jaunt and I don't think the screen has increased noise by much if any.

Sure this is not a big touring screen and I still get some wind on my shoulders, but this is also not a big touring bike either so you should not expect a small windscreen to turn your DR650 into a goldwing. Here are a few pics, I know Peter has some better pics of his bike with the screen mounted. Definately two thumbs for this screen.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #96
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
MRS Roadshield

Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #97
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
another option: Laminar Lip's "speed screen"

I've used small deflectors from Laminar Lip on the headlight cowling of several dirt bikes, and these helped take the wind blast off the lower torso area.

I was looking for a bit more protection on the DR650, and Josh and Leo at LL set me up with a "speed screen" windshield they sell for the Suzuki B-King to test. We added a couple of extra dual-lock buttons to hold it in place. Simple installation, light weight.

Just took it out this weekend and found that it works well on- and off-road. It takes essentially all wind pressure off the torso and helmet and doesn't cause any buffeting. I could ride with my Arai XD visor open and could stand easier at higher speeds than before. It's fine for cruising at legal highway speeds but does start to bend/lean back due to flex in the headlight cowling at >80 mph. The best thing was that I didn't even notice it was there when riding seated and standing in the dirt, and it held up to ~40 miles of rough abuse. Not sure what would happen in a crash, but I'm guessing/hoping the dual-lock attachments would come apart before I did (and they're easily replaceable).

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #98
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
nice find.
simple & solid screen for the dr.
comes off in a snap for hard-core off-roading, with those dual-lock fasteneres (basicsly beefy velcro)
http://www.laminarlip.com/bking.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
I've used small deflectors from Laminar Lip on the headlight cowling of several dirt bikes, and these helped take the wind blast off the lower torso area.

I was looking for a bit more protection on the DR650, and Josh and Leo at LL set me up with a "speed screen" windshield they sell for the Suzuki B-King to test. We added a couple of extra dual-lock buttons to hold it in place. Simple installation, light weight.

Just took it out this weekend and found that it works well on- and off-road. It takes essentially all wind pressure off the torso and helmet and doesn't cause any buffeting. I could ride with my Arai XD visor open and could stand easier at higher speeds than before. It's fine for cruising at legal highway speeds but does start to bend/lean back due to flex in the headlight cowling at >80 mph. The best thing was that I didn't even notice it was there when riding seated and standing in the dirt, and it held up to ~40 miles of rough abuse. Not sure what would happen in a crash, but I'm guessing/hoping the dual-lock attachments would come apart before I did (and they're easily replaceable).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #99
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
levity,

That looks super. Could you provide some rough measurements? I couldn't find any on the site. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #100
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,159
The Dakar screen looks great. I was also looking at the CeeBailey Baja design off road windshield. That one is looking pretty good and only $ 57.
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #101
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Let us know what you get. I'm not extra-happy with my National Cycle getup but don't know what would be better. I'd like to get away from the handlebar mount clutter.

Sarah
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #102
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Suzuki B-King windshield

I called and got some measurements from Leo at Laminar Lip. Overall length just under 15", center of cut-out to top 9 3/4". Leo says he figures we'd have about 8" of screen once it's mounted. I like the looks of this thing. I believe it's come down to this or the "screens for bikes" for me.

Sarah
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #103
mewerj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I like the look of the Dakar screen but it seems like the CeeBailey Baja Design has a pretty similar look for a lot less money. I'd contemplate painting mine white to match the number plate like a rally fairing.
mewerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #104
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Could you provide some rough measurements? I couldn't find any on the site....
I called and got some measurements from Leo at Laminar Lip. Overall length just under 15", center of cut-out to top 9 3/4".
Leo says he figures we'd have about 8" of screen once it's mounted.
Sarah
late reply: yes, it extends 8.8" beyond the fairing mounted as shown (fork angle yields ~8" vertical rise).
You could adjust the position slightly by placing the dual-lock buttons a bit lower or higher.
The position shown works well for me (6') - shorter riders could lower or cut it and still have wind over their helmet.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #105
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Me and Mr Clean

I thought you all might as well get a laugh out of this since my husband sure did. I just got sick of that buffeting bar-mounted windshield and took it off. I started scrounging around trying to figure out how to make my own, figured it couldn't hurt. This is what I came up with; can you guess what I used to make it?

[IMG][/IMG]

That flip at the top is just what I wanted, but the get-up was a bit too short initially so I added a piece of lexan we had laying around. Believe it or not this outfit works very, very well for me. No pressure on my chest or shoulders, no buffeting at all, clean air from about midpoint of my faceshield up. It does flex though; at an indicated 90 or so the lexan is laying back against the brake hose, but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. Other than that it seems stable as can be. I think I'll run this a while as I ponder what to buy. If I thought the Cee Bailey Baja Designs or LL B-King would work this well I'd shell out the money in a heartbeat. I found my shield in white at Big Lots, Dollar General has them in a nice gray; $3.00 either place.
[IMG][/IMG]

Sarah