Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Opinions on Dainese Virunga D-Dry Boots?

Friend of mine started looking for dual-sport style boots and came across these, the Virunga D-Dry Boots from Dainese:

I'd like to know if anyone out there in ADVWorld has 'em? Huh? Anyone? Really. Anyone?

Here is a link to more info on Kneedragger.com

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...s--607891.html
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #2
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,417
First time I've seen them. They look nice, especially the tibia/ankle "composite support".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
A guy I know has them and I had the opportunity to check them out (bought them when he did a 3 month contract in Sweden).

Very nice boot, no ankle protection what so ever.

End of story.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenboy
Very nice boot, no ankle protection what so ever.
To clarify, you're not referring to impact protection, right? You're talking about keeping the ankle from rolling in painful directions?

B
Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Looks very similar to the Vendramini Marathon boot which is not too surprising in that Vendramini is rumoured to be producer of Dainese labeled boots. The sole is different than the Marathon and the price appears to be a couple $$ less but the ratchet-style buckles, upper cuff and ankle/calf armor look very similar. If you're in 'States the Dainese boots should be MUCH more readily accessable, unlike the Vendramini's which has one US importer and they apparently only sell direct mail order w/o any dealer affiliations. What a stupid way to sell safety gear that is as fit sensitive as boots. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
To clarify, you're not referring to impact protection, right? You're talking about keeping the ankle from rolling in painful directions?

B
No, I mean there is no hard cup covering the ankles. The boot is soft up the entire side. Nothing for ankle impact.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

keep an eye in this forum for further news regarding these boots, including pictures......

I bought a pair this morning in Saukville, WI and wore them out of the store.

8 hours later, I would like to report the following impressions:

1) Very comfortable (watch the sizing. Dainese equates a 44 to a 10, whereas Sidi equates a 44 to a 9 or a 9.5. As with other Italian footwear, they run a little narrow also. Even with all that I got the 44s (same size as my Sidi OnRoad Sympatex) and they fit fine.

2) Will probably live up to it's claim of 'Waterproof' (looking forward to testing this one)

3) tokenboy is right. No hard bits protecting the ankles.

4) The double density sole is an inspired bit of design (stiff where it needs to be to stand on the pegs, yet comfy enough for walking).

I'll be posting photos and a more detailed review when I get back home.

B
Old 09-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
Zorgon
KTM convert

Oddometer: 9
My girlfriend has them.
After a few rainy days in scotland, she found out that they are not waterproof :-)
We could not find out how they leaked. My guess is the D-Dry fabric isn't that waterproof, or the zips are to short. the boots were tucked in under waterproofs, so there was no water coming from above.

I used alpinestars SMX3 boots, without getting wet feet. (only smelly feet :-)
Zorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgon
My girlfriend has them.
After a few rainy days in scotland, she found out that they are not waterproof :-)
We could not find out how they leaked. My guess is the D-Dry fabric isn't that waterproof, or the zips are to short. the boots were tucked in under waterproofs, so there was no water coming from above.

I used alpinestars SMX3 boots, without getting wet feet. (only smelly feet :-)
Zips? Zippers? No zippers on the boots I bought. Pictures to come....
Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
mikedt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
Looks very similar to the Vendramini Marathon boot which is not too surprising in that Vendramini is rumoured to be producer of Dainese labeled boots. The sole is different than the Marathon and the price appears to be a couple $$ less but the ratchet-style buckles, upper cuff and ankle/calf armor look very similar. If you're in 'States the Dainese boots should be MUCH more readily accessable, unlike the Vendramini's which has one US importer and they apparently only sell direct mail order w/o any dealer affiliations. What a stupid way to sell safety gear that is as fit sensitive as boots. Take care.
On top of which the Vendramini distributor has a 15% which makes buying very expensive boots sight-unseen a very expensive gamble.
mikedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #11
Zorgon
KTM convert

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
Zips? Zippers? No zippers on the boots I bought. Pictures to come....
blast you're right. sorry. Only clasps. there is some space between the upper velcro closing and the waterproof inner. IMO this causes the boot to fill.
Zorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Any more comments on the Virunga Boots? I tried these on yesterday and they were one of the few boots which fits my narrow foot. They were very comfortable. How are they in the rain, heat, etc?

'Flagger, any thoughts now that you have had the boots for a while?
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc
Any more comments on the Virunga Boots? I tried these on yesterday and they were one of the few boots which fits my narrow foot. They were very comfortable. How are they in the rain, heat, etc?

'Flagger, any thoughts now that you have had the boots for a while?
Busted! I knew I had left this thread hangin' and was hopin' no one called me on it.

To keep it short... I love 'em. very comfortable for my feet straight out of the box. was in the middle of a trip when I purchased them and asked the shop to toss the boots I had been wearing. It was a bit of a risk but it turned out to be a great decision. I had needed to put insoles in my previous boots, but haven't needed to for the Virunga's.

They seem to be warmish, but the only hot weather riding I've done has been on the GS. Any boot is hot on a GS.

Water hasn't been an issue, except when I stepped in a river that was deeper than the inside flap. Have ridden in all day rains and haven't had a problem. Not sure how Zorgon got wet... just make sure the waterproof portion of your pants are outside the boot and tugged all the way down. Same thing you'd do for any boot, really.

The sole of the boot is a wonder. The toe and heel are of a softer material than the center which is rather stiff. Maybe not MX boot stiff but good enough for a day of standing on a dual-sport. The difference in stiffness front-center-rear makes the boot rather 'walkable'.

As for protection:
1) the front upper is armored. this comes in handy for us GS riders as the jugs tend beat you up when ridin' in unimproved areas.
2) The ankle areas have a little 'puck' of plastic in between the leather and the inner liner that will help in minor bumps against the bike or trees/rocks. These won't really help in serious spill where the bike tries to crush your ankle on a rock.
3) As the boots break-in I've discovered they don't have anything to prevent you from rolling your ankles (side-side or fore-aft). When new I was hopeful that they would be better than what I was wearing (Side On-Roads) but that's not going to be the case.

Not real short, but hope that helps.

B
Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #14
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Wow, thanks for the quick response. Sounds like you are happy with them. They look and feel like a great boot, I was especially impressed with the sole, which seems stiff, but supple in the right places for walking. I am going to compare them with the Dainese Zev D-Dry when Cycle Gear gets my size in a couple of days. Dainese seems to have the only boots to fit my narrow feet. I know these are different boots, but I don't have much choice, the boot which fits best will be the one I buy.

I am surprised that more riders on this site haven't tried these boots...
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,740
Photos, please

I'm looking at them on the kneedraggers website. That Orange won't do. Are you guys buying the "Anthracite" version?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote