Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
I'm looking at them on the kneedraggers website. That Orange won't do. Are you guys buying the "Anthracite" version?
Yep. Anthracite for me. The orange is, .... well, .....
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
Yep. Anthracite for me. The orange is, .... well, .....
So that whole orange section is a different color, right? KneeDraggers wasn't much help when I asked for photos. Don't want to order and have to pay 20% restock fee if I don't like them.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
So that whole orange section is a different color, right? KneeDraggers wasn't much help when I asked for photos. Don't want to order and have to pay 20% restock fee if I don't like them.
From the Dainese website. It's says 'Dark Grey' in the photo, but that's what my anthracite boots look like.

'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #19
Boston12GS
Banned

Oddometer: 3,886
Comfortable, but mine are NOT waterproof

I've worn these for the last year (~18,000 miles on a 1200GS, all weather, Northeast winter/summer, rallies, track days, commuting, etc.). Pluses are they are very comfortable for both riding and walking. Recently I've become feeling "hotspots" on the bottom of my feet, not from heat but from pressure, but I suspect a padded insert will help there--keep meaning to try it, but forgetting. They feel very robust and protective, although the ankle area IS pretty much just leather, so no real protection against a really hard crunch between hard objects.

The negative--this boot, at least the ones I have, ARE NOT WATERPROOF, and this has been true since shortly after I purchased them. To the contrary, I suspect they actually suck in water. In even light rain my feet are sodden in short order. Maybe it's a defect in mine, I don't know, but I can pour the water out of my boots after a couple of hours in hard rain.

Worse, I have not been able to find good quality overshoes for them (once I'd gotten over the painful fact that you just paid a lot of money for allegedly waterproof boots that need overshoes in the first place). The exterior dimensions, especially around the ankle, are large enough that what would otherwise be appropriately-sized NEOS, for example, don't close properly. They may close enough to be effective against rain (haven't tried them yet in conditions), but the velcro overflap of the NEOS cannot close properly around the boot (the snap-down strap, however, does reach around, and that may hold things in place sufficiently to prevent water entry).

Andrew
Boston12GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #20
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc
I am going to compare them with the Dainese Zev D-Dry when Cycle Gear gets my size in a couple of days.
Man, what Cycle Gear are you going to? The one in Sacramento sucks. There are dealers up here that have more gear in stock.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
Man, what Cycle Gear are you going to? The one in Sacramento sucks. There are dealers up here that have more gear in stock.
I ended up buying a different pair of Dainese touring boots, I forget the model. The Cycle Gear here in SF ordered them directly from Italy as they were not available in the USA.

FYI, Dainese has just opened a new store here in SF, it opened on Monday of this week. I haven't checked it out yet, but it should be pretty cool!
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #22
Boston12GS
Banned

FS: Dainese Virunga anthracite boots

I'm switching to waterproof boots, I find I spend too much time riding in wet weather to do without.

So, my ~1 year old Dainese Virunga antracite-colored boots are for sale, $75 plus shipping (figure $10-$15) (boots were about ~$270 new). I've worn them for about 10,000 miles, so they are broken in. No defects (other than the waterproofness, or lack thereof), VERY comfortable for both riding and walking, no hard ankle protection.

EU size 44, true US 10.5, comfortable with single pair of sweat socks, also good with heavier wool socks for winter riding.

If you ride in mostly dry conditions, you will LOVE these boots. If you frequently ride in wet conditions, and don't like having wet feet, these boots are not for you.

Andrew
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
vedjetah
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question gaerne explorer vs dainese virunga

hey all

after a bad experience when i went offroad with a pair of Levior boots (my cheap side decided for these when comparing at the time with the dainese virunga) i'm looking for some boots that offer (by importance):

protection
waterproof
confort
looks

i came down to gaerne explorer and dainese virunga d-dry.
dainese are a little more expensive but if they offer more protection than the gaerne ones, i'll go with' em. anyone that has tested both? in your opinion which ones offer better protection?
vedjetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #24
Boston12GS
Banned

See my post immediately above yours for my experience with Virunga D-(not)dry.

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedjetah
hey all

after a bad experience when i went offroad with a pair of Levior boots (my cheap side decided for these when comparing at the time with the dainese virunga) i'm looking for some boots that offer (by importance):

protection
waterproof
confort
looks

i came down to gaerne explorer and dainese virunga d-dry.
dainese are a little more expensive but if they offer more protection than the gaerne ones, i'll go with' em. anyone that has tested both? in your opinion which ones offer better protection?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #25
ncpierce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbranca

Andrew
I have been riding in a pair of Virunga D-Dry for the past 14months, including the British Summer and have had no problems with them leaking. They are a nice comfortable fit, you can walk in them off the bike and the appear to be waterproof.

Thanks

Nigel
ncpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #26
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
Any boot is hot on a GS.
Combat Tourings are good in hot weather
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #27
vedjetah
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbranca

Andrew
i was looking for a direct comparison between these two boots (dainese and gaerne) because i haven't found one yet.

i don't want to spend more in another pair of boots (being these more expensive) and get to the conclusion they're not any better than the ones i have now (levior, about 100).
also, it's the second time i hurt my ankles/feet. it hurts real badly and i know they won't be the same, it's been about 2 years and sometimes one of them still hurts from the first fall...

gaerne explorer VS dainese virunga
regarding protection, which ones?
vedjetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
tomla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
not bad

I tried on lots of boots today..a* effex, dainese axial, sidi vertigo, sidi onroad and canyon. I have to say these are the stiffest side to side, and pretty damn comfortable, too. there is a bit of ankle protection and some subtle rear of ankle protection, too. the sole is genius. We'll see about the waterproofness, but I suppose you could always treat them with silicone or some other protectant, too.
tomla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
ncpierce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpierce
I have been riding in a pair of Virunga D-Dry for the past 14months, including the British Summer and have had no problems with them leaking. They are a nice comfortable fit, you can walk in them off the bike and the appear to be waterproof.

Thanks

Nigel
Since someone else has bumped this thread back up I thought I would add some more info.

Boots now 26months old and have still not leaked over two winters. They get an occasional clean with Nikwax cleaner and an application of Aquawax still look reasonable as well.
ncpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Boston12GS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpierce
Since someone else has bumped this thread back up I thought I would add some more info.

Boots now 26months old and have still not leaked over two winters. They get an occasional clean with Nikwax cleaner and an application of Aquawax still look reasonable as well.
Good for you, seems to be some variability there.

I still have pair of NON-WATERPROOF Virguna Antrhacite boots, size US 10.5, perfectly usable condition, available for US$90, I'll cover shipping in CONUS. Haven't been worn since my earlier postings above.

Boston12GS screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 12:31 PM