User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
ivancov OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
[my review]GMax GM54S Modular Street Helmet - 2X-Large

The helmet quality is great. The pull down sun visor is nice and dark, the helmet is comfortable, and the rear led lights are nice and bright. The batteries for the lights are easily replacable by removing a small panel on the top of the helmet (I haven't done this yet but this is one thing I wanted to verify when the helmet first arrived). Also, the lights can be turned on solid, or I think there are 3 different blinking/flashing speeds you can set them to. I liked the modular design for the MSF class because it was easy to hear the instructors by flipping up the face, but then easy to flip it back down and start riding. The black color of the helmet made for a hot day riding the first day of class because it was sunny and mid 80's, but once I was actually moving the vents allowed air to rush in and cool my head nicely. One thing to note is that the helmet does not say it is SNELL certified, but it is DOT certified. I didn't know about SNELL certifaction until after the class, but some people feel it is important so I thought I would mention it. For the price I think this helmet is hard to beat. Maybe after a couple years of riding I will upgrade helmets.prioritizing security.
ivancov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,840
Not in Ride Reports, moved to Equipment.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:16 AM   #3
JebGayanelo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the review. I just ordered one last night and was wondering if it was a good move
JebGayanelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancov View Post
One thing to note is that the helmet does not say it is SNELL certified, but it is DOT certified. I didn't know about SNELL certifaction until after the class, but some people feel it is important so I thought I would mention it. For the price I think this helmet is hard to beat. Maybe after a couple years of riding I will upgrade helmets.prioritizing security.
Some think Snell is to strict a cert and actually results in an unnecessarily rigid helmet. Snell actually backed off their rqts a few years ago and drew closer to Euro certification standards. Snell2010 was it?

How would you compare wind noise to other lids you've ridden in?
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Gypped
Backyard Camper

Oddometer: 72
I can't speak for the OP, but I found it to be a very noisy helmet. I bought one just as a cheap commuting helmet, and thought it would be nice to have a modular. I work nights, so the light on the back was a cool feature.

In my case, it only went about 3 months before things started breaking and falling off the helmet. There's a lot of small bits, and they don't hold together well. In addition to being noisy, it's also pretty heavy. I was hoping to be able to save my nice helmets for longer rides, but that didn't work out at all.
Gypped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
menotknow
always n00b

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancov View Post
The helmet quality is great.
Nope it isn't unless something changed extremely within last year. I got this helmet to replace my almost 10yo Nolan N102 and returned it after 2 rides. Nolan isn't the top shelf but very decent and at reasonable price. In GMax everything felt cheap and flimsy from the very first moment. The locking mechanism of the chin didn't seem reliable even though there were some small pieces of metal if I remember well. Plastics on the vents are super cheap and can break apart just by themselves not to mention they don't seal when closed. On mine some of them were leaving gaps of over 1mm when fully closed. Sun visor is fine but the location of the slider is not really convenient in long time, the slider was almost instantly hard to operate, it lacks spring loaded mechanism. The helmet is very noisy even for being modular, mine was also very prone to buffeting at higher speeds. Breaking lights are great indeed.

Nice helmet to test modular waters and for occasional use but I wouldn't take it as a daily commuter even for free. Just my $0.02.
menotknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217

No offense to the OP but it sounded as if this might be his first helmet since he was taking an MSF course and had never heard of a Snell certification. I was very impressed by my first Cortech gear until I bought some BMW gear, then I gave the Cortech gear away. I appreciated the time he put into the review and am sure it is accurate from his knowledge base.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Mystic_Misfit
KLR nut

Oddometer: 14
I bought a silver snowmobile version with nice graphics and a breath guard and chin curtain. For the money it is excellent I think. Had it two years now and no issues.