Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #1516
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
The New Nolan N43E. Two weeks in. Snow, Rain, Sun... This is going to be my go to Helmet. Pinlock (provided) must be used to prevent fogging in cool temps.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1517
bmwdawg
Cogito Ergo Zoom GSer

Oddometer: 17
Readers

Try these for your riding; http://www.dualeyewear.com/sunglasses.html. While I don't need readers these days per say, my fellow motor riders at the Amgen Tour of California last year got a taste of their line-up and had a lot of really positive feedback. It helped that we were fitted by the founder of the company as well as fellow rider David (Walls), and the price point is great, as is the quality; definitely on my list when I will need them.

Best - BMWDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude View Post
So sad to say, but I need 2.50 magnifier readers these day. Reading a GPS had become almost impossible. The cheap bifocal reader sunglasses solved the problem on a trip from Texas to Ushuaia. Here is a pair that looks similar to what I used: http://www.readingglassesshopper.com/sporty-driving-reading-sunglasses.html

With the success I had with the cheap ones, I decided to spring for a $150 pair of Maui Jim's with readers. The Maui Jims don't work for looking at an LCD screen because the polarization cancels out the image. Lesson learned, and I am back to the cheap unpolarized sunglass readers.

Kudos to the Gaerne Balanced Oil Boot. Totally waterproof. Comfortable and great for all-day and for walking. Reasonably good protection, although not for mx.

'06 R1150GS Adventure, '94 R100GSPD (Euro), '89 R100GS "Adventure", '89 R100GS BumbleBee (for sale), '73 R75/5 LWB "Kristine"
bmwdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #1518
danotech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdawg View Post
Try these for your riding; http://www.dualeyewear.com/sunglasses.html. While I don't need readers these days per say, my fellow motor riders at the Amgen Tour of California last year got a taste of their line-up and had a lot of really positive feedback. It helped that we were fitted by the founder of the company as well as fellow rider David (Walls), and the price point is great, as is the quality; definitely on my list when I will need them.

Best - BMWDawg
I've used similar glasses for the last six months at work and around the house. Excellent for those of us getting a bit older!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
danotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #1519
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
That's a tough one. There's some really useful gear in my closet.

Hippo Hands: Have an original pair mfg'd in the '70's that still perform as well now as they did 35 years ago. They're an excellent way to extend your riding season. Extremely well made and excellent functional value. If you get a chance at an original pair from the '70's or early '80's grab them. They're awesome.

Warm-Fit Heated Grips: Built by a fellow in New Zealand and no longer available. Simply the best heated grips I've ever come across. A resistor supported by two silicone blocks fit inside your handlebars and heat-soaks the entire grip area. You can't hold the grips with your bare hands once everything's up to temperature. Under the Hippo Hands my hands are toasty and warm in summer gloves at highway speeds in -9C temperatures. In fact, I have to cycle the grips turning them on and off every ten or fifteen minutes or so, or they'll get too hot for comfort. And they use the same wattage as those eneamic wrap-around type grip heaters.

Aerostich Tank Panniers: These things are made in the typical Aerostich bomb-proof fashion and provide a very useful addition to your bike's carrying capacity. Whether used as tank panniers or saddle bags they work great. Adjustable and easy to secure. Well worth the purchase price for gear you'll use for decades.

Aerostich Combat Touring Boots: (No, I don't work for Aerostich. But their gear is of a consistently high functional value and build quality). These are the finest motorcyling boots I've ever owned. Period. Comfortable, attractive, clever and tough. Four years on deck and ridden through everything from hours of torrential rain to thigh deep muddy bogs, and everything in between. They still clean up and polish as nicely as a decent pair of dress boots. Comfortable from the get-go they work for weeks on the bike or hiking for hours when off the bike. Made by Italy's Sidi to Aerostich's specifications and finer than anything Sidi brings to market themselves. Check out what else is available out there and you'll realise they're a bargain.

Aerostich 2pc Roadcrafter: This is probably my all time favourite piece of gear. I call it "The fairing you wear". This is the suit that started the revolution in cordura riding gear. A classic of design function, if not fashionable elan. Never been more comfortable on a motorcycle than in the 'Stich. Can't do the pants in hot weather, but for cooler temps they're a revelation of security and comfort.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #1520
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Warm-Fit Heated Grips: Built by a fellow in New Zealand and no longer available. Simply the best heated grips I've ever come across. A resistor supported by two silicone blocks fit inside your handlebars and heat-soaks the entire grip area. You can't hold the grips with your bare hands once everything's up to temperature. Under the Hippo Hands my hands are toasty and warm in summer gloves at highway speeds in -9C temperatures. In fact, I have to cycle the grips turning them on and off every ten or fifteen minutes or so, or they'll get too hot for comfort. And they use the same wattage as those eneamic wrap-around type grip heaters.
They still make them but they are marketed as being for snowmobiles. I put some on my S3 and I agree, once they are up to temp, they are way too hot to handle with bare hands.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #1521
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
They still make them but they are marketed as being for snowmobiles. I put some on my S3 and I agree, once they are up to temp, they are way too hot to handle with bare hands.
Where did you find them? I've found something similar, also intended for snowmobiles, but the heater element's in a tin cylinder as opposed to Warm-Fit's ceramic insulator. I have one remaining set and wouldn't mind finding more if they're available.

A friend in NZ knows the Warm-Fit mfg'r and confirmed he'd retired. Has someone else carried it on?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #1522
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
My safermoto MLV airbag vest.......Finally tested it in a crash over the weekend and is performed very well.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1523
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Where did you find them? I've found something similar, also intended for snowmobiles, but the heater element's in a tin cylinder as opposed to Warm-Fit's ceramic insulator. I have one remaining set and wouldn't mind finding more if they're available.

A friend in NZ knows the Warm-Fit mfg'r and confirmed he'd retired. Has someone else carried it on?

My install thread from a very long time ago.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1524
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My install thread from a very long time ago.
Ah, I see. Those aren't Warm-Fit heaters.

I have some of those but haven't had chance to test them yet. Good to hear they work as well as you report.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #1525
CBRtracey
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Anything waterproof

I do a lot of camping trips, so anything waterproof. Gloves, boots, rain gear and the best think I bought was a 100L dry sack for my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and pillow to go on the back of my CBR600. I'm thinking of getting heated grips too, but I think I'll wait until I buy a sport touring bike or something.
CBRtracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #1526
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
my leatherman has got me out of trouble plenty of times, but i must agree with post #24, the best bit of kit ive got is an understanding mrs who wants me to enjoy my bike trips and doesnt want to come along and ruin them
Yep, got one of those as well. Great bit of kit that one, shes not even slightly interested in coming along. And guess what, Friday night she loves to watch the football while I go out drinking with mates. And my best chance of getting lucky is when I have been away for a while. WIn Win.
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #1527
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
best stuff so far

Not in order
  • saywer water purifier, only gravity fed PURIFIER, no pumps nothing to break, 4 ltrs purified in 15- 20 mins lightweight
  • trials tyre for gnarly rocky clay shit
  • modified suspension on all bikes the last 10 years, if you ride on standard you wont understand
  • giant loop coyote, nothing else fits a ktm 450 better.
  • kreiga back pack and waist tool bag, waterproof pockets are that
  • EPIRB never used it, hope i never do, nice to know its there
  • revit cayenne, so far so good
  • POC protection with VPD, look it up, very comfy knee pads, waiting for spine jacket to come out this month
  • ktm excr 450 08- all sorted for offroad and adv riding ( 2 sets of rims) seat concepts seat, big tank = long dirt kms with big smiles. Bike has been bullet proof. Its a personal thing but I would rather do 90 kph on road with knobbies and have fun in the dirt than do any kms offroad on an "offroad" fat BMW. ( Big Motorcycle Weight), they feel 50 kgs heavier than the actual stated weight. Wouldn't piss on one if it was on fire. Now thats sure to start some chin wagging.
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #1528
JonS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This is a milestone. I have lurked here for a long while and hardly joined in.
By far, the the best thing I have ever bought for our sport and obsession, is my Gerbings heated liner. It opened up the whole year for riding. I really can't think of anything that comes close.
BTW, I bought a Suzuki DR-Z400E recently, and now feel like I'm worthy here.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1529
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Asterisk Cell Knee Braces. Riding dual-sport, stuff happens. Guy I know laid his bike down on a Forest Service road, normally no big deal, but managed to twist his knee. He had to give up riding after two expensive and painful surgeries. Opened my eyes.
Well-built, lightweight, comfortable and adjustable. I forget I'm wearing them.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #1530
Hrimfaxi
On/Off n00b

Oddometer: 28
Links and pictures

Could we please fall back to adding links and pictures when posting nice stuff? :)
If not, please post where you bought yer stuff
Garmin Zm 660
Hrimfaxi is offline   Reply With Quote