Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #646
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple

Is aerostich kit really so good? Or do people rave about it because it cost so much that they have to believe it is so good? Please excuse my cynicism, I'm British. What makes it so good? Fabric? Design? Assembly? Have to say though, I've just received an aerostich catalogue by airmail. I do like their attitude and their sense of humour.
I've notice that the "must rave about it because they are INVESTED in the kool-aid" with many expensive products.

But as far as the 'Stich is concerned. It just works. I thought it was Kool-Aid myself years back until I tried one. They are just the best and most convenient everyday, all-day, everywhere riding garments ever invented. It's all about the utility and ease of putting on and taking off. the fact that it is damn good protection/armor as well as pretty darn water/weather-proof is just icing on the cake.

It's that good. I'm going to keep using them until I find something better. It's been 10 years and I still haven't found it yet.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #647
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I've notice that the "must rave about it because they are INVESTED in the kool-aid" with many expensive products.

But as far as the 'Stich is concerned. It just works. I thought it was Kool-Aid myself years back until I tried one. They are just the best and most convenient everyday, all-day, everywhere riding garments ever invented. It's all about the utility and ease of putting on and taking off. the fact that it is damn good protection/armor as well as pretty darn water/weather-proof is just icing on the cake.

It's that good. I'm going to keep using them until I find something better. It's been 10 years and I still haven't found it yet.
I have no doubt the 'Stitch is a great suit (but it 'aint waterproof) BUT the point is you can buy a suit that is just as good - if not better, it's waterproof, for a THIRD the price - Olympia.

I'm sure it's not quite as easy to get in and out of, but boy, I'll take it for a third the price.

And BTW you are correct, the more someone paid for an item, the more they defend it to the death when it goes wrong.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #648
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,190
One of the best pieces of clothing I've bought is the BMW windproof, lite jacket. It's thin, comfortable and is a great layering piece. I paid $80 or so 4 years ago. Good for a light windproof jacket while off the bike too! Has zippered side pockets and 2 mesh inside pockets that work great for carrying spare beers
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #649
shawnceyoo33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I have a FirstGear Jacket that I just bought a month ago and its doing the job. Havent raintested it but does well on the highway and late night rides.
shawnceyoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #650
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Kool Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly

But as far as the 'Stich is concerned. It just works. I thought it was Kool-Aid myself years back until I tried one. They are just the best and most convenient everyday, all-day, everywhere riding garments ever invented.

There's no finer recommendation than from someone who was previously a cynic.

I had heard of Kool Aid but not known what it was. Or what reference to it could mean in conversation. I've just looked it up on wiki. I'm now guessing there's a parody of Kool-Aid Man on The Simpsons.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #651
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:

I had heard of Kool Aid but not known what it was. Or what reference to it could mean in conversation. I've just looked it up on wiki. I'm now guessing there's a parody of Kool-Aid Man on The Simpsons.
Kool Aid refers (AFAIK) to some religous cult where they all committed mass-suicide and all drank kool-aid just prior to doing the deed. It's therefore meant to mean someone is brain-washed. Some may say, like people who wear Roadcrafters

It's even got it's own smiley on here
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #652
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,333
Quote:

Not sure about the simpsons tie in.

The way I use it, it's a reference to Jonestown, of Jim Jones fame. The horrible story of how he, as cult leader, convinced his followers to commit suicide, homicide, infanticide--whatever you want to call it by drinking poisoned Kool Aid.

The vernacular, has come to mean that you've bought into someone else's manipulation or line of BS.

I drank the Aerostich Kool Aid. I drank the Suzuki Kool Aid. Perhaps it's not always BS, but loyalty?

If I got any portion of the story wrong, my regrets. Memory is flawed...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #653
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have no doubt the 'Stitch is a great suit (but it 'aint waterproof) BUT the point is you can buy a suit that is just as good - if not better, it's waterproof, for a THIRD the price - Olympia.

I'm sure it's not quite as easy to get in and out of, but boy, I'll take it for a third the price.

And BTW you are correct, the more someone paid for an item, the more they defend it to the death when it goes wrong.
It's water-proof enough so that I ride with it every day, any day, rain or shine, without worrying about getting wet. I don't have to worry about a rain suit. I don't even own one.

As far as the Olympia being "better" -after you get done hopping around trying to pull it off, I'll be out of my 'Stich, have it packed away and be inside in front of my fridge opening up a beer already.

And the price? I don't really know what they are going for these days. I bought mine 10 years ago. In another few years I'd maybe have to start thinking of replacing it if I hadn't bought a used on on ebay for under $300 in brand new condition. Maybe in 2025 when that one wears out I'll look into how much they are again.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #654
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,172
Sidi boots
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #655
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
Not sure about the simpsons tie in.

The way I use it, it's a reference to Jonestown, of Jim Jones fame. The horrible story of how he, as cult leader, convinced his followers to commit suicide, homicide, infanticide--whatever you want to call it by drinking poisoned Kool Aid.

The vernacular, has come to mean that you've bought into someone else's manipulation or line of BS.

I drank the Aerostich Kool Aid. I drank the Suzuki Kool Aid. Perhaps it's not always BS, but loyalty?

If I got any portion of the story wrong, my regrets. Memory is flawed...
Just one little bit needs corrected: The cult members drank poisoned "Flavor Aid", and not Kool-Aid (which is admittedly easier to remember) as everyone tends to suggest.

TM
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #656
scalci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Guys, I saw a thread of a small compressor at some stage, do you guys have any recommendations on a small air compressor to carry with?[/FONT]
scalci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #657
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalci
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Guys, I saw a thread of a small compressor at some stage, do you guys have any recommendations on a small air compressor to carry with?[/font]

http://motopumps.com/

How about dat one?

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #658
Rabid
Comanche

Oddometer: 76
My headlight modulator. Do not want to start a war as I saw a thread on here a few months ago. However, I had a cage run a red light while I was turning (should have seen him sooner) but was turning as saw him out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed front brake and did a low side. Broke 5 bones in my leg and ankle. Was off the bike for 100 days.

Installed the modulator Saturday and Sunday I rode to Austin, TX about 65 miles away to watch a granddaughter play soccer. As I walked to the field holding my vest and helmet, a man asked me if I had the red and white bike. I said yes, and he told me he saw me the headlight flashing nearly 3/4 mile away.

For safety other than insuring I keep vigil, this is a life saver. I keep it on low beams where it flashes about 45 times a second. Onlyu 30 times a second on high beams.
Rabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #659
bsoisoi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Cool2

1. Army Surplus Expedition weight polypropylene trouser baselayer pants
  2. Aerostich Darien Jacket
  3. Schampa double-fleece neck gaiter
  4. Shoei RF-1000
bsoisoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #660