Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #736
GS THONG
Banned

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopipeman
I bought a Haas VFOE. Makes a lot of things I need.

Like this...
Not for sale, I don't have permission from Baldy.

YET.
GS THONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #737
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 304
My picks

What a great thread, this has been really intereting. Here's my list of favorites followed by a comment on my Roadcrafter:

Garmin 2610 GPS - my original one finally croaked so I replaced it with another one from Ebay - $123 delivered! It does everything I need and no one is going to steal it..

Airhawk saddle cushion - what a great thing to do for your butt! Might just be my all-time favorite farkle.

GIVI gear, in particular their soft bags. I've used them on two very hard rides up the ALCAN and they've held up pretty well. (Except for the rain covers) The company was nice enough to send a complete set of replacements when I returned from my first trip. What a great outfit!

Motofizz medium size camping seat bag - it's been to Deadhorse and it's going to Nova Scotia this summer. Holds an unreal amount of stuff. I bought the damn thing just because it looked so cool in Aerostich's catalog. It's even cooler in person.

Lee Parks DeerSports Phase Change gloves. Still my favorite pair when it gets nippy out. Wore them today as a matter of fact, my cool Rev'Its just weren't cutting it.

Roadcrafter One-piece suit: Now's when I may piss all you RC fans off. I bought mine for the same reason I bought the Motofizz, it just looked sooo cool and the reviews were pretty good (for the most part). I was amazed when I put it on the first time. Being a natural skeptic I timed it to see how long it would take me: 30 seconds! That's the good part, and it follows there are lots of other great things about it, fit, finish, vents, I even like the style. What I don't like and the reason it hangs in my closet is I don't like wearing it off the bike. Like in restaurants or stores, etc., it's just too damn bulky to deal with. Yeah I know, just unzip the top and drape it around your waist when you're at a table, but that doesn't do much for a stroll around the little village. Tying it to the bike is a pistol too, it's like trying to fold up a mattress. If I had it to do over I'd buy the two-piece and I know I'd be wearing it all the time. Maybe I should bite the bullet and post it in the flea market section, I've only worn it 3 times. Oh yeah, it's a size 40 short, red with black for those who want to know...

Feb 4, 2009 Follow-up to my comments on the 'stich: After reading so many positive comments by other owners I got to rethinking this whole thing and decided maybe I haven't given the 'stich a fair trial. With that in mind I've been wearing it of late and the more I do the better I like it. Now comes the decision that is difficult. Should I wear it on my upcoming ride this summer? I expect to be on the road at least 8 weeks and will probably cover 15K miles. My proposed route will take me south out of OR to UT, CO, then east for awhile, north through MO, then probably into Canada and over to Nova Scotia. After that it's on to the Very Boring Rally in Duluth (if it's held), then westerly to the Pacific and south to home. Weather-wise I expect to see nearly everything that's out there with the possible exception of snow. At least I have heated grips and an electric vest. So, any thoughts on the 'stich as being the right choice for this longish ride?

LL75

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 09:15 AM
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #738
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoenduro
An Easirider.com sheepskin seat. I rode over to the shop in Northampton and their work room was filled to the ceiling with sheep skins sourced from around the world. I picked out a plush sheep skin from an Aussie sheep in blue. The owner said it was good enough to be fitted to a Bentley. Most of their business goes to Rolls-Royce, Mercedes and Bentley owners.

It took the seamstress 1 1/2 hours to measure my bike seat, stitch a liner to the shaped sheep skin and attach a shock cord.

My backside felt comfy just looking at the seat.

Amazing quality. Much better than a ROHO Airhawk air cushion.

If price isn't too much of an issue for you, they ship worldwide, and you could get a set for your '64 'Vette too

Mike

Alaska Leather has sheep skin seat covers to top about any bike out there.
www.alaskaleather.com

Oddly enough a sheep skin seat cover keeps your butt dry in the rain.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #739
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75
Roadcrafter One-piece suit: Now's when I may piss all you RC fans off. I bought mine for the same reason I bought the Motofizz, it just looked sooo cool and the reviews were pretty good (for the most part). I was amazed when I put it on the first time. Being a natural skeptic I timed it to see how long it would take me: 30 seconds! That's the good part, and it follows there are lots of other great things about it, fit, finish, vents, I even like the style. What I don't like and the reason it hangs in my closet is I don't like wearing it off the bike. Like in restaurants or stores, etc., it's just too damn bulky to deal with. Yeah I know, just unzip the top and drape it around your waist when you're at a table, but that doesn't do much for a stroll around the little village. Tying it to the bike is a pistol too, it's like trying to fold up a mattress. If I had it to do over I'd buy the two-piece and I know I'd be wearing it all the time. Maybe I should bite the bullet and post it in the flea market section, I've only worn it 3 times. Oh yeah, it's a size 40 short, red with black for those who want to know...

LL75
Get yourself one of these. It stuffs into its own zippered side pocket to about the size of a paperback book but opens up large enough to swallow the 'stich AND your helmet/gloves. Carry it by the handles like a duffel or throw it over your shoulder with the strap. Takes about as long to stuff it in there as it does to take off.

I have 3 of these suckers. I keep one in my tank bag for such occasions, and use 2 others as my bag liners inside my Givi's. They are tough, light, flexible/soft, and don't take up any room of their own (and don't take away from your gear's space).

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #740
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
This is my top 10 list so far not in any order.

Nikon F-4
Jesse's
Primus Omni-Fuel Stove
Mountain Hardwear Sky ledge tent
Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bag
Omega Seamaster watch
BMW Rallye 2 Jacket and pants
Garmin 376-C
Sidi Crossfire boots
First gear HT overpants

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.

bacon screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 01:48 PM
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #741
CRAGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Pissed Not Fair!

This is a great thread, and I have spent many an evening perusing it. But choosing the best piece of equipment? That's like choosing your favourite child. Of course top place would have to go to my '02 1150GS, but then I'd have to post this in the bikes part of the site. So do I pick my Zumo which, aside from telling me where the nearest gas station is and getting me through the tangle of basketweaves that make me panic whenever I have to pass through a major centre, also soothes my nerves through those basketweaves by playing my favourite road songs? Hmm or maybe my Daytona Gortex boots which forever changed the way I feel about riding in the rain. No, the best piece of equipment has to be the something that isn't just a convenience, it can't just be a better version of something else that it replaced (good-bye HJC, hello Shoei RX1000), it has to be something that I simply can't imagine doing without. It has to be something that has changed riding forever, something that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. Yeah, it would have to be my Aerostich Kanetsu heated jacket. Not the vest, the full jacket. This puppy turns the impossible, into the enjoyable.
'73 R75/5
'76 R90S
CRAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #742
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Talking Good ideas always lead to more questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Get yourself one of these. It stuffs into its own zippered side pocket to about the size of a paperback book but opens up large enough to swallow the 'stich AND your helmet/gloves. Carry it by the handles like a duffel or throw it over your shoulder with the strap. Takes about as long to stuff it in there as it does to take off.

I have 3 of these suckers. I keep one in my tank bag for such occasions, and use 2 others as my bag liners inside my Givi's. They are tough, light, flexible/soft, and don't take up any room of their own (and don't take away from your gear's space).
Hey thanks for the info, I went to Amazon to order one and of course they're out for the moment. I buy a lot of stuff there so I'll check back. BTW, since I posted that comment I've worn the stich 3 times, all short rides into town. Today I wanted to ride but didn't feel like getting into my gear when I spotted the stich hanging on the door. 30 seconds later I was geared up and ready to ride. I'm rethinking this whole deal now and will probably start using it a lot more. Another thing that's had me bugged occurred on the ride to Deadhorse last summer. I wore my slick dog Rev'It 2-piece outfit and my buddy wore his ancient Darien jacket & rain pants. He stayed dry the whole trip and I had to buy a rain suit to go over my Rev'It! Sheese! Now I'm wondering if I should wear the stich on my summer ride to Nova Scotia? I'm not going direct, will likely head south through AZ, CO, and so forth where it's probably hot as hell then. You got any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

LL75
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #743
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info, I went to Amazon to order one and of course they're out for the moment. I buy a lot of stuff there so I'll check back. BTW, since I posted that comment I've worn the stich 3 times, all short rides into town. Today I wanted to ride but didn't feel like getting into my gear when I spotted the stich hanging on the door. 30 seconds later I was geared up and ready to ride. I'm rethinking this whole deal now and will probably start using it a lot more. Another thing that's had me bugged occurred on the ride to Deadhorse last summer. I wore my slick dog Rev'It 2-piece outfit and my buddy wore his ancient Darien jacket & rain pants. He stayed dry the whole trip and I had to buy a rain suit to go over my Rev'It! Sheese! Now I'm wondering if I should wear the stich on my summer ride to Nova Scotia? I'm not going direct, will likely head south through AZ, CO, and so forth where it's probably hot as hell then. You got any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

LL75
I rarely wear anything else but the stich these days. I have other gear but I've yet to buy anything in the last 10 years since I bought my stich. It just works, but I do hear you about its size/bulk when off the bike.

The bag is a good solution but the best solution I have is to just keep my Givi hard bags on the bike all the time, even for short trips around town. This allows me to stash my gloves, helmet and stich in a lockable, rain-proof locker space right at the bike. There are 2 problems with this though
  1. The saddlebags are big. I don't care about looks anymore (age and wisdom have finally overcome vanity) but it does make the bike WIDER -and that means lane-splitting is not very handy with the bags on the rear. It's not legal in the midwest and Chicago (where I unfortunately spend too much time) has been really cracking down on bikes splitting lanes. So it's not that big of a deal. In CA this might be a different issue.
  2. You need to be careful how you fold up the stich. Don't just "jam" it into a bag (hard or soft) because if you twist or invert the pads on a regular basis they will start to degrade/crack/split/disintegrate really fast. They aren't cheap either. I might end up buying some CE-approved gel/honeycomb pads soon because of this. If you are careful to fold the garment better this isn't a problem -but it slows you down about 30 seconds.
But still, The stich is a great piece of gear. Like your helmet, it's a bother off of the bike. I carry the helmet bag that came with my Shoei everywhere I go in my tank bag so I can protect it and the drawstrings make a nice shoulder strap. It also protects it when I stick it into the Givi. Throwing the stich into the convertible bag is handy as you can carry it over your shoulder but it is one more thing to keep track of. Throwing that bag into the Givi solves this for me too.

I don't own a motorcycle rain suit. I threw my last one away a couple of years after I got the stich. It was old and needed to be replaced, and I hadn't used it since the stich was delivered. It was supurflous.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #744
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:

Thanks again,

LL75
I rarely wear anything else but the stich these days. I have other gear but I've yet to buy anything in the last 10 years since I bought my stich. It just works, but I do hear you about its size/bulk when off the bike.

The bag is a good solution but the best solution I have is to just keep my Givi hard bags on the bike all the time, even for short trips around town. This allows me to stash my gloves, helmet and stich in a lockable, rain-proof locker space right at the bike. There are 2 problems with this though
  1. The saddlebags are big. I don't care about looks anymore (age and wisdom have finally overcome vanity) but it does make the bike WIDER -and that means lane-splitting is not very handy with the bags on the rear. It's not legal in the midwest and Chicago (where I unfortunately spend too much time) has been really cracking down on bikes splitting lanes. So it's not that big of a deal. In CA this might be a different issue.
  2. You need to be careful how you fold up the stich. Don't just "jam" it into a bag (hard or soft) because if you twist or invert the pads on a regular basis they will start to degrade/crack/split/disintegrate really fast. They aren't cheap either. I might end up buying some CE-approved gel/honeycomb pads soon because of this. If you are careful to fold the garment better this isn't a problem -but it slows you down about 30 seconds.
But still, The stich is a great piece of gear. Like your helmet, it's a bother off of the bike. I carry the helmet bag that came with my Shoei everywhere I go in my tank bag so I can protect it and the drawstrings make a nice shoulder strap. It also protects it when I stick it into the Givi. Throwing the stich into the convertible bag is handy as you can carry it over your shoulder but it is one more thing to keep track of. Throwing that bag into the Givi solves this for me too.

I don't own a motorcycle rain suit. I threw my last one away a couple of years after I got the stich. It was old and needed to be replaced, and I hadn't used it since the stich was delivered. It was supurflous.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #745
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly

So noted. As I've already mentioned I've taken to using the 'stich more of late. The thing I'm pondering most is whether to take it on a very long ride this summer. In any event thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

LL
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #746
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Bets buy for me to date:

1.) A 661 full pressure suit. if you ride dirt, there isnt much better for body protection. Costs more than most but quality is like that. 18months to date, no tearing, no stitching falling apart. yes, i have tested it out, over logs and through some tree branches at close to 80 kph. a few scratches on the shoulder gaurds and forearm, me, i was good, once I got some AIR back in the system. unit paid for itself right there.
2.) Sheepskin seat cover, was a baby rug, i remodelled and double side tape it to the underside of seat.
3.) Oneal boots. Never ridden with MX Boots before, am wondering why.
4.)My wife, and the bike she got me.

The above is not in any specific order of relevence.
niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #747
rpclark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
#1. Luggage rack-backrest-usable passenger seat. Never had a bike without.
Never will.
#2. Easy on/off windshield.

#3. Centerstand

rpclark screwed with this post 02-11-2009 at 05:57 PM
rpclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #748
mdsn969
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,501
Without a doubt my Makita LXT Powertools

If I list them all here my wife might see them and then I risk getting beaten with a rather large stick.

The impact wrenches are phenomenal!!! I rarely use my airtools any longer.

The batteries fully charge in 1/2 an hour or less, etc, etc, etc...

Cheers,

JMS
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #749
Duffman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I'd have to put in a vote for my Dremel.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #750
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,056
Primary Drive O-Ring Chain from Rockymountainmc.com.

For any dirt bikers this chain lasted atleast twice as long as as a DID. IMO these chains are great! I would recommend these chains for anyone with a dual sport.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote