Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #1411
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
Based on a couple of posts here I looked into Wiley-X sunglasses and ended up buying a pair. I am very satisfied with them.

I went with the motorcycle-specific SG-1 V-cut frames with prescription clear lenses and prescription polarized lenses. These come with both an elastic strap and standard temples. Since I wear a full-face helmet, I use the temples. The frames are flexible enough that I can get a close fit around my eyes by pressing back on the corners after I put them on through the visor opening in the helmet. They remain comfortable on my face and ears through long days of riding. (I tried other models of their prescription-available frames, but the frames did not seem as flexible and did not fit my face as closely. YMMV.)

The goggles eliminate the buffeting around my eyes I experienced with my regular sunglasses when I rode with my visor raised, and also provide glare relief when I'm riding into a low sun, unlike my regular sunglasses. I would recommend them highly.
+1 on the Wiley X's I have prescription lenses that let me actually read my gps and also see in the distance, A great safety feature! They also have the snap in foam facial seal to keep out some dust and air around your eye's they do breath though. The strap is removable, they fit so well I don't need it.

Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #1412
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by theborv View Post
Best thing I have is a Montane Fireball Smock - for it's weight and lack of bulk it's the best insulating piece of gear I have and is super comfy - hard to describe how good it actually is until it's used. I wear it under my bike jacket when the temps are starting to drop. Considering getting another one in a size bigger for the even colder days, which are coming here soon

That sounds pretty good. I have a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover which works in a similar fashion. Windproof and shower resistant, works really well under a pressure suit.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #1413
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,306
Easy. A Coleman -30 expedition sleeping bag I bought in 1990 when still in high school. Never let me down. I slept many times with my hair frozen and I would still be warm, just pull the mummy hood back over. From all my years of guiding, I honestly have slept 3 years (combined of course) of my life literally in that bag . I only recently bought a 30 above bag for warm trips and felt like I was cheating on my Coleman!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #1414
BahakMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Best pieces

You made me think about a couple of things: Helmet C3 from Schuberth, superb. Boots: Santiago Boots from BMW, excellent water proof, winter proof, sunny and hot days proof - i like them. Rukka suit, I just love it, I have three, one BMW another TourMaster, I just love my Rukka! I think that´s all.
BahakMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #1415
norcalstew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Simple/cheap and brobably the most appreciated when needed is my neoprene face mask that velcros in the back. Can wear it with my helmet on, small enough to keep it in your pocket. Lets you ride in comfort when it gets chill. I use it snomobiling and I use an mx helmet with goggles and this mask feels like i've got a full face shield on.

Also my cycra handguards. Have them on all my bikes. Have'nt broke a lever with them on. Drop your bike in the rocks and cringe... Pick it up and roll on.
06... Was a good year for me
norcalstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #1416
MapBoy
here there be dragons...

Oddometer: 455
Madstad!

Probably the best moto-gear I've bought so far is the MADSTAD windshield bracket that I bought this weekend. It lets me adjust the windshield to a wide range of heights and angles with the twist of a knob. I've only tried two positions, and both are vastly better for me than the stock height/angle. On the ride to Twisted Throttle (great shop, by the way), I couldn't quite hear my podcast through my phone, and that is at full volume with earbuds and a full face helmet.

$95 and a 10 minute installation later, I was way more comfortable, and had to turn the volume down because it was too loud. I noticed far less buffetting, less noise, and a far more comfortable ride. I can't understand why so many people buy windshield after windshield when such a great solution is available...

I was so impressed that I dropped a quick email to the generic "support" email address... and got a personalized reply... within hours... from a human... who happened to be the owner/inventor. Too bad more businesses aren't run like Madstad (http://www.madstad.com/).
MapBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #1417
mikeash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Best Pants: Klim Dakar
Best Boots: Axo Boxer Enduro
Best Fuel Storage: Rotopax 1 gallon
Best Protection: Acerbis Cosmo
mikeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #1418
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalstew View Post
Simple/cheap and brobably the most appreciated when needed is my neoprene face mask that velcros in the back. Can wear it with my helmet on, small enough to keep it in your pocket. Lets you ride in comfort when it gets chill. I use it snomobiling and I use an mx helmet with goggles and this mask feels like i've got a full face shield on.
Ahh, please tell me where I can buy this. I've been looking and looking, and all I am offered are neck gaiters that require removing my helmet (which means removing my gloves, which means taking out the glove liners . . . )
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #1419
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Ahh, please tell me where I can buy this. I've been looking and looking, and all I am offered are neck gaiters that require removing my helmet (which means removing my gloves, which means taking out the glove liners . . . )
Google respro foggy
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #1420
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Comes in handy after a long ride!

guitarin screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 08:06 PM
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #1421
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
1990 Masi road bike,its been up to 64 mph drafting a tandem downhill,totally steady at that speed. Ive done 3500 miles some years on it,been a while though. Its just a nicely built Reynolds quad butted cro mo vanadium steel framed bike.
Handles like its on rails at speed going straight or turning.
Its got 13 handrubbed coats of paint/clearcoat and still looks new after 21 years,I like handbuilt stuff.

All the KTM's Ive had have been epic,the MASI rules though.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #1422
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Easy. A Coleman -30 expedition sleeping bag I bought in 1990 when still in high school. Never let me down. I slept many times with my hair frozen and I would still be warm, just pull the mummy hood back over. From all my years of guiding, I honestly have slept 3 years (combined of course) of my life literally in that bag . I only recently bought a 30 above bag for warm trips and felt like I was cheating on my Coleman!
Now thats just bizzare.................How ever, I do have an old Eddie Baur(sic) bag,it was my dad's a long time ago,it must be a late 60's/early 70's bag. Its always been plenty warm for me,the down doesnt seem packed down too bad. I always break it out if Im going cold camping.(no frozen hair yet)

I did get a 30 degree Mountain engineering bag,it wads up tiny and feels like Im sleeping with nothing over me,yet its amazingly warm for most camping I do in nor cal.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #1423
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
I bought a pair of these Joe Rocket lace up boots at a flea market for $15. I have worn them riding for so long and they are so comfortable that I will probably look for the same type when these finally hit the trash can. They still had tags and had never been worn.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #1424
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,852
Bump. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaleiro View Post

Summary of all posts up to this point
Top Accessories by category
Luggage78
Boots73
Jackets63
Helmets58
Heated Clothing56
Riding Suits45
GPS41
Aftermarket Seats35
Gloves31
Pants21
Heated Grips16
Windscreen14
Foot pegs12
Top Accessories named by brand at-least five times
Garmin GPS38
Aerostitch Riding Suits29
Arai Helmets28
Gerbing heated clothing28
Fastway Foot pegs24
Sidi Boots19
Aerostitch Jackets13
Shoe Helmets12
Alpinestar Boots11
Held Gloves10
BMW Boots9
Widder Electric clothing9
Givi Luggage8
Wolfman Tankbags8
BMW Pants7
Jessi Luggage7
Oxtar Boots7
Touratech Luggage7
Sargeant Seats7
Corbin Seats6
Kermet Chair5
Tourmaster Jackets5
Olympi Jackets5
Aeroflow Windshield5
Shuberth Helmets5
Russell Seats5
Ohlins Shocks5
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #1425
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Google respro foggy
That looks pretty cool and I may get one, but it does nothing to keep my neck / chest warm, it's just about keeping fog off the visor.

Does anyone else have a source for a neck gaiter type thing that can be put on and off without removing one's helmet?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote