User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Dyna III placement location

I've got a Dyna III on my '78 100/7. (came installed when I got the bike).

It was installed by the PO and the actual "black box" was attached to my front frame down tube.

I'd like to re-loacate it and mount it under my tank on the frame main tube.....near-ish to the ignition coils.

My question.....the Black Box seems to have heat sync type fins on it. Will the reduced air flow when moving it under the tank cause it to over heat / and or early Dyna III failure???

(Why do I want to move it.......looks pretty goofy on that down tube IMO)
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Can't say for a Dyna but I've had an ignition amplifier under the tank for over 5 years without problems. At first I used to stick my hand under the tank at the end of a ride to see if it was too hot. It never was. My logic was it's drier under there and shorter wires = less resistance.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,411
I've got the Dyna Ignition Booster (same aluminum case) and I mounted mine like you did, behind the coils and in front of the tool tray. And it is not a big heat-producer. And shorter wire to the coils is a plus.

In other words, what 190e said...

--Bill
Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent! You are confirming what I was kinda thinking. I'm guessing the front down tube mount is more for convenience than anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #5
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 324
I relocated my DYNA III from the downtube to the top of my voltage regulator (new, flat top VR) on the right side of the main spine underneath the tank. Secured with zip ties and velcro. This was years ago, and my DYNA has at least 85K miles on it with no issues. My own conclusion is that it's not heat but water entry that poses the biggest threat to the black box. Undertank mounting reduces that threat. If you relocate it to sit on top of the VR, be sure to examine the underside of your tank to make sure the DYNA box is not rubbing on the tank underneath. To eliminate that issue, I used a file to remove a little fin material off the top of the box, and glued a little innertube patch onto the bottom of the tank to ensure no vibration/abrasion of the tank underneath. Has been no problem for years.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
Excellent! You are confirming what I was kinda thinking. I'm guessing the front down tube mount is more for convenience than anything.
It has always been thought that heat was a more serious problem than eventually proved to be the case. We have had these threads several times over the years and the conclusion is usually that the box doesn't have to be "in the wind" in order to work. I think the manufacturers are now picking up on this and the Dyna Booster I recently installed was both smaller and had no cooling fins.

The Booster is very much like the "Box" on a Dyna III. I've often wondered if they might be interchangeable. But I've never tried it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:42 AM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
My own conclusion is that it's not heat but water entry that poses the biggest threat to the black box.
The thing is potted in epoxy - no way for water to enter. It's the hall sensor down below in the points area and the little circuit board material that is harmed by water.

I haven't had a problem mounting them in hotter places with less airflow.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,411
I just remembered, I've got a dead Dyna Booster somewheres here that I've been meaning to "disassemble" and autopsy. Also I'd be curious to see whatteh design is. The epoxy potting makes it a chore, it takes a lot of chipping. Its like sculpture, actually.

--Bill
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #9
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I just remembered, I've got a dead Dyna Booster somewheres here that I've been meaning to "disassemble" and autopsy. Also I'd be curious to see whatteh design is. The epoxy potting makes it a chore, it takes a lot of chipping. Its like sculpture, actually.

--Bill
Post some photos if you do it....I'd like to see the guts!