User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Re: R100GS Speedometer

So, should I be concerned about a speedo needle that jumps around? When I'm going maybe 40--- it might be 35, and it might be 45--- depending on which split second you look at it.

Got 36K on the odo.
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 687
"concern"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
So, should I be concerned about a speedo needle that jumps around? When I'm going maybe 40--- it might be 35, and it might be 45--- depending on which split second you look at it.

Got 36K on the odo.
Concern is a subjective term.

Is the odometer still working? Trip meter still working? Clicking noises too?

My answer is not really but it's gonna break soon.

Wirespokes=1st and best option.
Ebay is 2nd and maybe in the longrun no savings from just a good real repair.
Do it yourself would be 3rd in my book. You can find threads here on the subject.

But concern….ehhhh …in the scope of things that wouldnt cause me much concern. My RT has been doing it for a few years.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I had the same problem on my PD. It will get worse. You might want to do a thread search. There are a few guys here that can fix it. A new one is expensive. I finally put a gps on the bike and used that as a speedo until the problem was fixed.
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Your other option at Max BMW.
01 62 12 1 244 704 SPEEDOMETER - MPH 3,09W=1,148 0.91 1 $405.25
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So it's not just a simple solution with some well placed lubricant?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 687
No

No sorry but in my experience it's always where the plastic wormgear meets the brass round drive gear. I bought an old unit on ebay and opened mine up. I was able to replace the plastic gear from one to the other and that solved my issues for about 2 years then again it came up.

Wirespokes does a real repair and my understanding is that once he repairs it it will be better than new and the inevetable well no longer be the enevitable.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
On the other hand, the inevitable might just be surprisingly evitable. Mine's been doing that every now and then for years. Bike's done 120k miles. I wouldn't worry about it until it actually breaks.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Just fixed the SAME problem.

I recently went through a lot of unnecessary effort to address exactly what you are seeing. If you take the speedo apart you'll find a very elegant arrangement that has obviously seen a lot of refinement primarily to make them easier and cheaper to mass produce. Having one apart let me see what causes the needle-jump a lot of people report.

The odometer is driven directly by the cable coming from the tranny. The square cable drives a gear that is connected directly to some gears that increment the odometer. What this means is that even if the needle is all over the place, the odometer will still be accurate. This can be important for estimating when to fill your tank. So just because the needle is jumping doesn't mean you should doubt the odometer.

The needle is a little more complicated. The same square cable that drives the odometer also directly spins a magnetized disc or cup. The needle armature floats just above this disc with fairly tight tolerance but is kept centered by a fine, brass pin. Reminded me of the works inside a watch. The spinning magnet pulls on the needle armature which is resisted by a helical (also watch-like) spring. The forces here are VERY low so if anything is off, it's going to behave funny. What I learned is that needle jump happens whenever something prevents the needle from moving freely. This can happen when lubrication goes bad but my lube was still perfect. It can also happen when the needle armature contacts the spinning, magnetized disc. So how does this happen?

After getting my speedo all back together it was WORSE than before I took it apart. I KNOW I put it together properly and that nothing was binding inside so I looked elsewhere. After a bit of experimentation I reached down into the fairing while going down the road and pulled the speedometer cable forward and the jumping needle went rock solid! All it took was about a 1/4" of play. The speedometer cable was actually pulling the threaded plastic housing out of alignment just enough for the spinning cup to come into intermittent contact with the needle armature. Two zipties to hold the speedo cable forward and the problem has been 100% solved. The bad part is, I could have fixed it without even removing the speedometer in the first place!
MotorcycleWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After getting my speedo all back together it was WORSE than before I took it apart. I KNOW I put it together properly and that nothing was binding inside so I looked elsewhere. After a bit of experimentation I reached down into the fairing while going down the road and pulled the speedometer cable forward and the jumping needle went rock solid! All it took was about a 1/4" of play. The speedometer cable was actually pulling the threaded plastic housing out of alignment just enough for the spinning cup to come into intermittent contact with the needle armature. Two zipties to hold the speedo cable forward and the problem has been 100% solved. The bad part is, I could have fixed it without even removing the speedometer in the first place!

Hmm, that sounds doable. So you were on the road at some unknown speed and you reached down and pulled the speedo cable straight.

I'm going to try that tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Hmm, that sounds doable. So you were on the road at some unknown speed and you reached down and pulled the speedo cable straight.

The configuration of my GS fairing and my small hands let me reach down there when riding provided I'm not wearing gloves or a jacket. I don't normally do this and wouldn't unless I was troubleshooting here in the neighborhood. Basically the cable goes up from the tranny, along the right side of the frame until it crosses over the shed then goes under the triangle part of the frame and up into the fairing where it loops 90 degrees and goes into the speedo. What I did was reach down to where it entered the fairing and pull it forward relieving what must have been some tension on the threaded nylon stub. Whenever I pulled it forward the needle would stop bouncing. When I released it, it would slide back a half-inch or so. All I did was pull the cable forward and ziptie it to the fairing support bracket. I have a PD style fairing so my speedo is fixed in place.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Isn't anybody going to suggest a new speedo cable? That's fixed it for me, both times I've had a bouncy needle.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
maxpowers410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:

also will try this... my rps OR speedo jumps, never both...
maxpowers410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

I would agree with wrangler. If the tension trick doesn't help go with a new cable. I suggest checking the tension first mainly because it is free!

MotorcycleWriter screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 06:43 AM
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good ideas.

While some suggest just waiting until it stops working, that doesn't help me in the meantime, because unless I'm riding with traffic, I really don't know if I'm going 60 or 50 or 70.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

I've thought about using something like this. I already have the phone and a mount is cheaper than a new speedo or a rebuild.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spee...405239907?mt=8