User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
V4Moto OP
V4Moto

Oddometer: 19
switch gear removal R100GS

well mines an 80 actually but is still a GS not a G/S, I started to strip everything off to change the bars tonight when I got home from work. Hmmm how does that right hand switch gear come off, I took out the allen bolt and small screw. Did the same on the other side and it wiggled off but the right side is firm. Guess its the master cylinder but dark now so had to leave it . If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great and I will delve back in when I get home tomorrow as long as the light lasts.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 726
There is one small screw holding the switch unit on then two allen screws holding the master cylinder to the handlebar clamp which you might have missed and one more in the clamp itself.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
V4Moto OP
V4Moto

Cheers Mark
I think I got the small allen and cross head bolts on the clamp so I need to find the 2 holding the m/cylinder. Does the m/cylinder need to be emptied first? Excuse the ignorance its the first time I've taken these off and I (wrongly) assumed it would be the same as the Jap bikes.
I should have a little bit of light tonight when I get home if not will try it at the weekend.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 726
You can safely remove the master cylinder from the clamp without it leaking as long as you don't disconnect the hose.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
V4Moto OP
V4Moto

Got the m/cyl off - I could see the 2 allen bolts in the light. Still cant move the switchgear or throttle tube, there is zero movement. I sprayed some lube in there and will try again in the am.

Thanks for the support
Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
V4Moto OP
V4Moto

Got it indoors and just about done. If it helps other inmates follow Mark's advice above, mine was just plain stuck, took 2 of us, one with the blade of a screwdriver to open up the mount (dangerous i know) and one to twist the perch as hard as he could with the bars in a vice. Once it moved it came easy.

New billet top yoke (HPM Guy) is on with the protapers and risers. Just got to sort some wiring and source some aftermarket indicators and i am back on the road.

Thanks for the advice.

A couple of pics, the before with the scabby original bars and broken top clamp and where it is now just awaiting indicators. If anyone wants a set of original bars and a broken top clamp, let me know they are in the metal recyclying bin.

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/V4Mo...?sort=3&page=1
Attached Images