Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #901
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Airhead Oil Filters .. Confused? You are not alone ...

from the factory BMW manual printed 3-82 .. there are times when clear pictures are needed to clarify, when even the best written instructions becomes confusing. click on smaller image to drill in

Oil Cooler

Oil Filter Installation

Oil Flow Diagram

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-12-2014 at 02:56 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #902
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

reserved 7
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #903
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
reserved 5
Quote:
reserved 6
Quote:
reserved 7
Old 11-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #904
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Been hunting around for bulbs for tach and voltmeter on my 88 R100GS .
Found Mercedes uses them too so picked 4 up for $7.89

Mercedes part number 78180
And when you go to the Mercedes dealership, they'll give you a cup of joe from the fancy Starbucks grind it while you watch and then brew a single cup coffee machine.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #905
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
And when you go to the Mercedes dealership, they'll give you a cup of joe from the fancy Starbucks grind it while you watch and then brew a single cup coffee machine.
So what you are saying is that since the Mercedes dealer is just around the corner I should have made one trip per bulb and had fine coffee at the princely sum of $1,97 per cup , hmmm I see Mercedes dealers full of airhead owners slurping joe and kicking tires on the new Benz all buying one little bulb every day for weeks , they do have a pretty good return policy to so when you gather too many bulbs you could just return them or maybe sell them on e bay for $5.!
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #906
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
more to come ..

tips and tricks thread has gotten HUGE .. it's hard to find anything.
thought it'd be easier to find, if a series of articles was lumped together.

let me know if it bothers too many folks.. will delete and start my own thread.
another inmate suggested an index would be worth having.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #907
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,939
I thought it was innovative. We do associate some topics with certain members. An index wouldn't be a bad idea also. But I think Google is almost the same thing. If I Google almost anything about Airheads I get multiple hits at Advriderdotcom.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #908
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

what started idea of lumping articles together was the constant repeat as similar questions comes up. why not refer folks to a well put together tutorial with clear pictures and easy to follow instructions?

IMHO it's much harder to present a technical topic in a simple easy to understand manner. instead of overwhelming a newbie needing help. much better to dive into technical details only when there's no way out of it.

when I first got started restoring my R90S. a hoard of gracious folks jumped in and got me up to speed. it's only fair to give back.

and yes .. I'm the battery guy .. pretty proud of how my LiFePO4 testing thread has morphed into a monster size repository. which I believe to be the world best resource for motorcycle LiFePO4 information.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 08:20 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #909
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
You can buy bmw instrument bulb from here for $0.63 each.

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...artnumber=2821
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #910
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57 View Post
You can buy bmw instrument bulb from here for $0.63 each.

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...artnumber=2821
Any cheap alternative source for the black plastic bulb retainers that fit them into the bulb holder/circuit board?
boxerboy81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #911
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Airhead Oil Pan Removal

Don't know if this has been covered before, but here goes anyway.
My R100/7 had a pretty bad oil leak from the old cork oil pan gasket, so I decided to replace it.
I removed all the pan bolts, double checked that I did in fact have them all out and tapped the pan with my dead blow. Several times, and then some.
BTW, you ever see center cases that somebody split with a gasket scraper or a chisel ? I wasn't going there...

I remembered the following tip from somewhere, just don't know where. All I can say is that the originator is a genius.
Did a bit of a search and found the genius. Tom Cutter. Here is the link to the site: http://airheadtechforum.yuku.com/topic/392#.UpmkrsSsiSo

Heat one corner of the pan with a heat gun until toasty, then take a piece of plastic or hardwood and tap that corner down with a good rap of a hammer.

The pan just dropped off onto my lift, no muss, no fuss.
The way it was explained in the gent's site was that the pan would warp from the heat and separate in that corner.
I didn't see any actual movement on the pan but it sure worked, so I thought I'd pass it on.

And here is what I found in the pan:

Now all I have to fix is the base gasket, pushrod tube seals and weeping head and valve cover gaskets. Yeah...
If I find/discover any short cuts, I'll post.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 01:44 AM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #912
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 572
RT Windscreen Grommets

Re: Pp.43 posts showing nut and bolt approach to windscreen grommet installa tool.

I ended up feeling like I need to make a few changes to the basic idea. I didn't like the way it deformed the first time I tried it, trapped the bolt threads too much and didn't grip the back of the plastic 'sandwich' very well, especically if the hole was worn at all. (Or else, I over complicated it, but worked well for me.) I felt I wanted a bit larger crush radius on the backside, so I drilled out a 3/16" thru hole for a 5 mm bolt using a larger flathead screw than I could find in my pile of stuff; cut off the screw threads, leaving just a cone shaped forming washer for the 5 mm bolt.... And I found some male tent repair grommet pieces that just fit over the back side of the BMW grommet shaft.

Then I still wasn't as happy as I wanted, so I decided to cut a small slot thru the middle of the BMW grommet to get the bend started where I wanted it.

Tip of a small paint brush as a holder for the band saw. I probably only went about 1/8" at the most, just enough so the deformation would start where I wanted it to. The center windscreen mounting holes were pretty wallered out on the backside, and the extra grommet held nicely.

I never get anything right immediately, so I bought 12 BMW grommets for the eight holes..two I ruined trying to decide what size nut/bolt/flathead to use, one I replaced after it wasn't trapping the backside and before I started using the extra grommet, and one I dropped over by the grinder where it will never be found in my lifetime. So I ended up with exactly eight good ones, and although I may have gone OCD on the process, I'm pretty happy with the result. YMMV roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #913
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 572
RT Windshield weatherstripping

Now if someone knows the smart way to install the rubber nipples from the weatherstripping thru the windscreen, this would be a good place to add it. I broke off two of them today trying to get mine completely installed thru the windscreen. re: 85 R80RT

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #914
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
Now if someone knows the smart way to install the rubber nipples from the weatherstripping thru the windscreen, this would be a good place to add it. I broke off two of them today trying to get mine completely installed thru the windscreen. re: 85 R80RT

roy
Rubber lube, silicon spray, Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Any of these applied to the hole and the nipple should make installation fairly easy. At least that's what I use when I have to install reluctant rubber grommets and the like.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #915
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
Hi,
I just removed the Luftmeister fairing from my 77 R100/7, which has been on there since the bike was new. Everything was neat and tidy. The turn signal stems are straight and were covered and the wires are still there.
The bike started and ran well as usual.
My question is, what do I do with the wiring harness that leads out of the bottom of the original headlight case and how do I go about plugging in the headlight to the original bucket?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote