Oddometer: 55,251
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #77
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond
Went to the link and this looks very interesting. I don't want to make an assumption and since you played with one you probably know the answer.

Will this allow me to plug my 3.5mm headphone cable from my Autocom into this device which will allow the Zumo to transmit via bluetooth so that all I have to do is plug my helmet into the Autocom for BT connectivity with the Zumo? (I hope that is clear enough).
I don't know enough about the Zumo to answer, but it won't help with the 2820, especially if you are an XM users.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #78
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
XM will mute if BT transmits or receives audio. It will not mute with just device pairing. IOW, if your phone is paired, you will still hear XM until you either make or receive a call (or, bitchin' Betty has something to tell you).
I like that, bitchin' Betty - my wife refers to her as "the bitch" and I switched to to UK Jane :rabia

Thanks. I'm going to call Kennedy again. I WILL find a way to deal with the phone audio mixed with everything else and the separate mic input to get these guys to integrate with a standard bike intercom.

I use a Starcom1 now, but have done them all, but Baehr, and they generally have a dedicated audio interface for the phone, which is where my BT adapter or phone plugs in.

The intercom needs to sense the that audio is present on that interface to mute everything and go into phone mode. If it were a stereo interface, I could live with it, but it's mono so it would not be cool from a tunes standpoint and I would still have to figure out how to interface the mic input on the GPS to the output on the phone interface.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #79
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
There's an audio output on the Zumo m/c cradle, so getting the audio from it into a Starcom/Autocom/whatever should be trivial, as I now understand it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #80
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
There's an audio output on the Zumo m/c cradle, so getting the audio from it into a Starcom/Autocom/whatever should be trivial, as I now understand it.
Understand, that is basically what I'm doing now with the 2820. The rub with the 2820 is, when it pairs with a BT headset device, not a phone, it actually disables the audio port effectively making XM worthless. Once it pairs with a phone and not a BT headset device, it expects to get the inbound phone audio, via the mic jack, which is a hard thing to do from a MC intercom system.

Which is what I'm digging here trying to find out about the Zumo. When the Zumo pairs with a BT audio headset, is the audio connector on the mount actually disabled, as it is on the 2820?

If it doesn't, I still gots my XM tunes and if does disable the port, it's ahem, mildly inconvenient

Old 10-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #81
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:

I am trying to get my paws on an Autocom to see how to integrate it myself. The only BT device that I have seen paired with Zumo, that is not a cell phone, is the Scala Rider BT headset from Cardo, but I have yet to ride with it.

I have an autocom unit setting in a box if you want to try messing with it. I took it off the bike because it would not work with a CB radio. It worked for intercom and hearing the 2610. I have the phone piece but never tried it. PM me if you want to try it.

I just live in DeSoto. Another question . The local BMW club is having a Garmin guy in for the next meeting so show us stuff. Wouldn't happen to be you would it?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #82
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Zumo does store track logs and will convert them to routes and will allow the user to save to SD card and share with other users. Zumo acts like a mass storage device on the PC or Mac. This means that when you plug it in via USB, it will show up as a drive in your OS. You can drag and drop .gpx files into and out of it.
This all sounds great. However, I have a strong desire to see what the weather is when riding on the coast or mountains. Will this first version of the Zumo allow me to see Nexrad using XM WX Weather?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #83
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
[QUOTE=PhilSpace] won't route on back roads like my Garmin will :rabia
QUOTE]
thanks for the reply,I just sent him out to test drive the nuvi 660.

as far as back roads,my K12RS was two days old to me and a gps routing led me to a road under reconstruction and detour on a county road through a military base.there I was on red dirt in the rain,trusting the detour would connect with the line I mistook for interstate hwy.it all turned out good as always.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #84
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, but it was one of the first things I fed back as something I hope will appear later. The value of the NEXRAD cannot be overstated IMHO. I was on a "Bikers for Babies" ride last month with my 376C and rode by as dozens of riders pulled off to don their rain gear, only to doff it again 2 miles down the road. I could see exactly how much rain I was in for each time we passed through a shower. We had lots of scattered showers that day. The XM Wx was absolutely invaluable.
Thank-you for your direct input to Garmin. The addition of traffic info is fine for those commuting in the few cities which have the XM Traffic input. However, there are a lot of riders, like me, that prefer to ride away from large populations.

I guess that if I want to upgrade my GPS, the 376C (with the included WXM antenna) will be the best bet for the forseeable future.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #85
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No product will suit every need. I will say that I have both a Zumo and a 376C at my disposal and the one I grab everytime is the Zumo. The GUI is sort of addictive.
Any thoughts as to whether the Zumo be able to be upgraded to allow for XM Weather. Since the XM antenna is built-in, it would not be too difficult to do a software upgrade. Maybe I'm just dreaming.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #86
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I think we have an Autocom somewhere.

I am not a paid rep; just a beta tester. The only reason I spoke up here is to attempt to stem the tide of pontification. That, and because I know everybody will think this thing totally rocks in spite of the party poopers.
I sure have been appreciating all the info you've been passing along.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #87
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
I just paired it with a Motorola BT earpiece, and it was still XM-ing and MP3-ing through the jack until audio from the phone interrupted.

I owe you a big ass beer

I had committed and am in the que and my wife gets the 2820

Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #88
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It has XM Wx capability, just not the NEXRAD stuff. It displays current and forecast conditions just like on the StreetPilots. The XM antenna is not built-in on the Zumo. To get XM, you have to purchase a GXM 30 separately.
Life sure is a series of compromises.

Other than the simplicity of use, and cool interface, with the Zumo, why do you grab it over the 376C? For the same money as the Zumo, the 376C comes complete with the GXM and Nexrad Weather capable. I already have the memory & RAM mount for the bike.

Women, bikes and now GPS. Oh so difficult to find just the right one.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #89
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
Life sure is a series of compromises.

Other than the simplicity of use, and cool interface, with the Zumo, why do you grab it over the 376C? For the same money as the Zumo, the 376C comes complete with the GXM and Nexrad Weather capable. I already have the memory & RAM mount for the bike.

Women, bikes and now GPS. Oh so difficult to find just the right one.
First, the answer is GPS's everybody knows that if it has boobs or wheels, it will give you problems - boy I hope my wife isn't lurking

Now, You bring up a good point. I need to find a local sucker with a 376 or similar form factor box to see if it will fit where I want it. On my old RT it was too big, but I might be able to pull it off on the GT

And Lowflyer has sold me on Nexrad. I use the standard XM WX on the 2820 pretty well since you can look for wx near you and at the destination and figure it out, but you can't see the actually rate of the rain fall.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #90
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I would take the nexrad over the phone anytime. I don't personally think talking on the phone and riding would be a good mix.

For sure , I would pick the GPS with the nexrad capability. The one big thing holding me back is the $100 sign up fee and the $100 per month service fee for the nexrad xm radio service. If it was $20, I would be the first one there.

The Zumo looks great, but without cheap nexrad service, I'm thinking my 2610 looks good. I do like the idea of being able to print out the route you just rode and looking at it on Google Earth. The phone thingy does nothing for me but the radio might. What good is it to have BT phone and GPS talking to you if you have to connect the radio and intercom with a cord?