Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #91
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint
I would take the nexrad over the phone anytime. I don't personally think talking on the phone and riding would be a good mix.

For sure , I would pick the GPS with the nexrad capability. The one big thing holding me back is the $100 sign up fee and the $100 per month service fee for the nexrad xm radio service. If it was $20, I would be the first one there.

The Zumo looks great, but without cheap nexrad service, I'm thinking my 2610 looks good. I do like the idea of being able to print out the route you just rode and looking at it on Google Earth. The phone thingy does nothing for me but the radio might. What good is it to have BT phone and GPS talking to you if you have to connect the radio and intercom with a cord?
I hope travel kit capabilities are not holding people back.I would guess it cost the company forty cents to add it,
I hope real price increases are for better screens and such.
these comments lean twoards nuvi series,which I am trying to buy for my father and sell to that group of customers who never reall got with the gps.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #92
S Won
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
I would take the nexrad over the phone anytime. I don't personally think talking on the phone and riding would be a good mix.

For sure , I would pick the GPS with the nexrad capability. The one big thing holding me back is the $100 sign up fee and the $100 per month service fee for the nexrad xm radio service. If it was $20, I would be the first one there.

The Zumo looks great, but without cheap nexrad service, I'm thinking my 2610 looks good. I do like the idea of being able to print out the route you just rode and looking at it on Google Earth. The phone thingy does nothing for me but the radio might. What good is it to have BT phone and GPS talking to you if you have to connect the radio and intercom with a cord?
Exactly! I don't mind the phone. Using it on the fly is a bad idea but having the capability to make calls hands-free would be nice, at rest stops anyway!

Without the BT XM Radio, I'll pass and wait for the next generation. 18 months isn't long to wait. As soon as they realize people want the BT XM capability they'll be working on it.

I'm going to cancel my N-Com helmet order today! By the time the next generation GPS is out Nolan will have an updated helmet too! Thanks for clearing all of this up everyone!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #93
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
Life sure is a series of compromises.

Other than the simplicity of use, and cool interface, with the Zumo, why do you grab it over the 376C? For the same money as the Zumo, the 376C comes complete with the GXM and Nexrad Weather capable. I already have the memory & RAM mount for the bike.

Women, bikes and now GPS. Oh so difficult to find just the right one.
LOL, seems that Garmin wrote the book on compromises.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #94
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
The lack of Nexrad would be a deal killer for me...

Are there any units with at least QVGA (preferably better) resolution, highly outdoor readable that have Nexrad, traffic and good track log capabilities that are suitable for moto use (and car, boat, etc.)? Oh yeah, it needs to be able to operate on a battery...

I have a 276C which I like a lot. But it will take that combo (or simply a larger, more viewable screen) to get me even interested in a replacement unit.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #95
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
seems the 276 screen has more pixels-so more resolution? I dont know how i could ever upgrade from a 276 cuz the fm , nexrad,bluetooth etc is a little more than i want in navigation device--the sd slot is definitly a good feature though
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #96
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
OK, here is the comparison of the 376C (and similar) and the new Zumo, which is running thru my mind.

The Zumo is a complete package for those wanting a simple and effective navigation system for their motorcycle. Sure, it doesn't have weather, but if you are riding for pleasure anyway, just look to the sky for clues. Easy on and off the bike since the mount is hardwired. Simpler graphics for easier navigation. Just easy all the way around. Relax and enjoy the ride. For less than $1100 and I'm done.

The 376C requires the purchase of a mount, 512 Garmin memory chip, map software, XM antenna mount, spare power cord to leave on the bike. Then, for use in the car, you need to buy an additional mount. In exchange for this confusion you get a high zoot GPS that will do all sorts of cool additional things, like save track files and show you where you will get wet or snow. Every time you park the cord must be removed (unless you are able to get your hands on the TT locking mount), unplug the XM antenna, and stow all. There are reports that the 376C screen is fragile and that the power cord fails when used a lot. The XM Weather is available for $29/ month and I can turn on and off the service on a monthly basis. I have to load the maps I want for each long trip, then restore the local maps when I return. This ties me to the use of a Dull more than I care to admit. GPS, mounts, maps, etc..., and I'm probably up to $1,500 easy.

Riding a BMW with numerous farkles, I am drawn to the 376C. The simple life appeals to me also. I just don't know.

Seeing that lowflyer has both and prefers the Zumo weighs heavily here.

At least this decision is easy when compared to figuring out female "logic" or how to handle my teenage sons.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #97
rdsmith3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
At least this decision is easy when compared to figuring out female "logic" or how to handle my teenage sons.
That is the funniest things I have read today. I currently have two teenage sons (and three other kids), and one wife (and one ex-wife). My wife asked me the other day why I always greet the dog first when I come in the house. I had to explain to her as delicately as possible that the dog is always glad to see me, no matter what. Even if she just saw me 30 minutes ago, she is still so happy to see me. I cannot say the same for the other occupants of the house.

Back to GPS, I have decided on the Zumo. The NEXRAD weather would be nice but it is too pricey for me. The traffic info is good for me, as I live near NYC.

I was also considering the 2820 because it seems to have a bigger screen than the Zumo. However, I read somewhere the that 2820 does not have a full screen mode so the actual map size would be about the same as the Zumo.
rdsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #98
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,280
If you're only dealing with 1 ex-wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmith3
That is the funniest things I have read today. I currently have two teenage sons (and three other kids), and one wife (and one ex-wife). My wife asked me the other day why I always greet the dog first when I come in the house. I had to explain to her as delicately as possible that the dog is always glad to see me, no matter what. Even if she just saw me 30 minutes ago, she is still so happy to see me. I cannot say the same for the other occupants of the house.

Back to GPS, I have decided on the Zumo. The NEXRAD weather would be nice but it is too pricey for me. The traffic info is good for me, as I live near NYC.

I was also considering the 2820 because it seems to have a bigger screen than the Zumo. However, I read somewhere the that 2820 does not have a full screen mode so the actual map size would be about the same as the Zumo.
GPS decisions should be a piece of cake!

If you married 1 of them twice(I'm slow on the uptake) does that count as 1 or 2?So my total will be 3 or 4.Currently single with GS.
Still want the "dumbed down" Zumo.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #99
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
The XM Weather is available for $29/ month and I can turn on and off the service on a monthly basis.

Where is it availble for that price? I mean the full nexrad version that Garmin advertises is available for the $100 per month.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #100
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Where is it availble for that price? I mean the full nexrad version that Garmin advertises is available for the $100 per month.
That's the ground package. Last I checked the aviation and marine versions were much cheaper...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #101
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
http://www.xmradio.com/weather/ma_service_pricing.html

As you can see, the Sailor or Fisherman package both offer NEXRAD.

$50 connect fee and $30 a month. It says One time activation fee. But that may mean you get charged once, and it's not reoccuring like the monthly charge. I'd like confirmation that they won't charge you if you chose to drop the service for a while and then reconnect it again.

Albie screwed with this post 10-12-2006 at 03:26 PM
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #102
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,657
So, if Garmin...

Who's going to be hosed if/when Garmin offers the "Zumo Lite," with just GPS functions, no BT and no XM and no weather?

I know that if they'd offer that now (with Mac compatibility), I'd be in the queue in a flash.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #103
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,775
Quote:
Seeing that lowflyer has both and prefers the Zumo weighs heavily here.
lowflyer doesn't ride offroad!!!!!!!!!!

I would be very disappointed with not being able to dial in my topo maps to display maximum detailed roads at a zoom factor of 2 miles. I seriously doubt if the Zuma screen takes in that kind of real estate at a single glance.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #104
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Zumo will not make coffee either. I tried this morning, and it just sat there not making any.
Thats it. I'm out.

Seriously though lowflyer. Back to GPS functions.... will it track back? Will it route the imported track exactly as laid, or will it re-calc? Theres speculation in this thread both ways, I want to know from someone USING the damn thing.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #105
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
also will it show multiple tracks in different colours-as in hard ez routes
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote