Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Question Steering Stabilizer ... Done to Death I Know But ....

I've read all the threads. I've gone to all the supplier sites.

I'm confused.

The Ausie/Brit duo are Emig devotees and I spose I'll end up succumbing. I'm gettin mine in black or shiny though as I hate being a 'twinner' or copycat.

But I really don't want to spend that much dough and I could not care less about the bling factor. Emig DOES sort of make it easier for us 950 folk however and their service IS personal and seemingly almost devotional to their customers.

Whereas it seems Scott's has no love for us punk 'amateurs'.

But then I'm impressed with the remote control aspect of the RTT. Makes a lot of sense.

But what my primary question is ... is there any good way to get a stabilizer on a stock '06 950 with the existing clamp? And would it be as good a setup as the others where one needs the clamps, post etc.?

I don't actually care about the offset factor of the Emig or others.

Thanks

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
erider
erider

Oddometer: 479
Scott's stablizer kit

We've got a kit in design, that will mount above the bars. Scott's gold box, with an erider top clamp and tower. $579.00. Should (hopefully !) be available for release by 12/1/06. www.erider.ws (440) 286-6273
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Thumb Scott is bestest!

"Whereas it seems Scott's has no love for us punk 'amateurs'".

Sorry...I gotta say 'Bullshit' to this one.... It's all in how you get to Scott.

When I went looking for a damper, I asked someone who really knew thier shit. Without first voicing a preference, I was told that Scott was the only brand to get, and this came from a young guy who only placed 4th overall in Dakar last year.

Will the other ones work? Maybe, but I'm not into experimentation when my life could be on the line.

PM me off list if you would like to know more... .

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
scottr OP
Banned

Pointman

It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I have been using a GPR stabilizer since early summer and love it. The 950 doesn't need one on pavement, but offroad, one is definitely essential. I have ~3000 miles offroad on this one and it functions as advertized and without any problems. I have no affilliation with GPR. Just a happy customer.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
scottr OP
Banned

Talking

Looks real good. Please tell me more. How did install go? That's their clamp too, right? How many different after-market pieces did you have to use? If you don't mind .... what was cost? Any more pics? Closeup of control would be nice. Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
I have been using a GPR stabilizer since early summer and love it. The 950 doesn't need one on pavement, but offroad, one is definitely essential. I have ~3000 miles offroad on this one and it functions as advertized and without any problems. I have no affilliation with GPR. Just a happy customer.
-cp
Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
scottr OP
Banned

cpmodem

Looking again ..... which controls are which? I see some buttons on the left and a lever on the right I don't recognize. I spose the togle is for you lights?
Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
All necessary parts are included. Direct bolt on; just takes as long to install as it does to R&R the handlebars and top triple clamp. Took me ~1 hour, but I had the Dept's Heavy Equipment Mech assisting
I believe the price is ~$500. I didn't buy mine; it was a door prize at last year's Red Hot Riders' Baby Butt 1500. Petty good door prize, eh

The toggle sw is for the Hot Grips. The push buttons below it are an OEM KTM part that controls the tripmeters. The lever on the right is a throttle lock.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 10-03-2006 at 03:47 PM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
I've got these......

20mm offset and it DOE'S make a big differance on pavement, no more tank-slappage when you let go of the bars between 50 to 40 mph!! Big $$$$ but worth it IMHO! Only gripe is the orange is fading ...BUT, Emig's said they will refinish free of charge The only way it could be any better is if they didn't fade in the first place.
See ya
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 925
i must be a fucking retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

i was uninformed of this common knowledge. when i was looking at them i talked to both and the people at scotts helped me the most. i did not know shit from apple butter and the sales guys at scotts explained evrything clearly. while the people at emig were not that helpful. everybody has off days but common knowledge

i went with scotts and could not be happier!
http://www.scottsperformance.com/index.php
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
So how do you mount a Scotts damper if I wanted to do it next week?

Thanks -P
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
goldfinger
goldfinger

Oddometer: 192
I used a Rtt before complete piece of shit,always leaked had it replaced three times but still always leaked oil,I have been using the Scotts on my 990 with the underbar mount and triple clamp and it works a treat,i have been using the GPR v3 on my 525 EXC which has a remote adjuster on it and have been very impressed.The GPR and the Scotts work very similar in the fact they both have a sweep valve where the RTT is a one way damper.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 828
gpr scotts

Ive had both the scotts and the gpr. First the scotts and second the gpr. They were both mounted on my 525. I like the gpr better than the scotts, it has less settings and its easier to dial your prefered setting. They both work very well. The gpr vr would be nice for the dirt bike but I don't think you need the vr for the 950. My only experience is with dirt bike applications and I'm not sure if the added weight of the 950 would adversly effect there performance.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 828
pantah- mounting a scotts

Its a pretty easy install. I used a strap to keep the forks and wheel from moving. Remove bars, top clamp and dust collar. install new collar, post, camp and scotts. very easy. However, I would consider a shorter post and under bar mount. This, I think, works better , less flex in post and it holds better. only an oppinion everyone has one
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498
I have the Scotts on my 950, I wouldn't use anything else. It is the by far the most adjustable damper and on the 950 you need to dial it in, especially the high-speed damping.

The instructions are simple to follow, takes a couple of hours to install.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote